E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upgrade Cruise+Brake (S544A) to Active Cruise Control+stop&go (S5DFA) - E61 LCI '07

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 03:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d 2007 LCI
Default Upgrade Cruise+Brake (S544A) to Active Cruise Control+stop&go (S5DFA) - E61 LCI '07

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2007 LCI E61 535d with factory fitted 's544a cruise control with brake function'. First Post (be gentle) on the forum - By far the best 5 series forum I have found - Been reviewing posts on here for the past couple of months!

I've been searching for quite a while now for retro fit plans for upgrading my current CC setup to the 'S5DFA Active cruise control+stop&go function' setup.

So far I have found one detailed retrofit here with a very detailed install by 'Cinders0' on BMWCoding.com. Reviewing this install however highlights no install of any SRR short range radar sensors that are required for the system on my vehicle as detailed here on RealOEM. Cinders0's install was pre LCI.

Has anyone looked at or performed an ACC retrofit to an LCI e60/e61 with success? I am guessing the sourcing of the bits is the easiest part. Its the coding that I guess will be difficult!?
I assume that because my current system has tie ins to the Braking system the install will be easier but I may be wrong.

Does anyone know where I can get details of the wiring looms sections that would be required for the various sensors or are these already fitted to the vehicle as part of current looms?

Thanks in Advance!
Great Forum!
Cheers
Old 06-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 525dA 2007 pre-LCI.
Model Year: 2007

You can be sure you have to add the wiring loom, in these cars every loom is make specific to the car.

Biggest problems are those sensors as they are very expensive.

Seems like the stop/go funtion was added from 2008 on which needs the SRR sensor.

Read more here : https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...top-go-114407/

Last edited by tom_il; 06-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:34 PM
New Members

Hi,

I have done this retrofit and it is not as easy as it looks like.

you will need:
the radar
two sensors behind the front bumper
front bumper carrier is different for the sensor, but I used old one and bolted it on. Still complicated.
actual control unit for the radar
the cruise control switch
ACS/DCS control unit and the pump.

I was stuck for really long time with the pump part, as if you are looking for used parts, it has to be from the car with stop/go and not from xi one. New one is expensive, therefore this mod becomes ridiculous.

And yes, my DSC unit was with braking function too.

Wiring is quite simple, then after that reprograming of the radar control unit, DSC pump and then calibration of the radar.

Good luck

Last edited by Mantelis88; 06-16-2013 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Update on DSC unit.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:30 PM
New Members

Hi Manteli88 - Damn didnt realise you needed the pump as well! Had a quick look under the bonnet at my ASC/DSC pump id = 3451 6784151-01. Cant find it on real OEM at all. Do you have a part number for the one you retrofitted? Do you need to change any of the dsc sensors?

Loom wise I think its '61129122282' to connect the two SRRs to the LRR. Not sure if the wiring to go to the LRR is already fitted? If not any idea of its part number?

Thanks again for your help - I want to follow in your footsteps!
Old 06-17-2013, 12:41 PM
New Members

Hi,

Well, you are lucky if you don't need the pump and the 'brain' of the pump. It is not always the case that you need one, but quite often. You have to ask this to people programing this. In my case, I needed to change it. Don't know the part number now, but will be able to have a look to the one I had on before, as should have it somewhere in the garage.

Now I can't remember where the wires went from the two sensors and the actual radar, but I reckon they should go to the control unit. With the cruise control switch is straight forward - replace and that's it. Pump - the same, just it needs to be done in the shop as the brakes has to be cleared for air bubbles.

As mentioned, I will try to post an image of my old pump tomorrow.

To be honest, I would never undertake such project before I had all the parts. Also, if you are looking at the spares, you can only use LCI ones, and if you have non all-wheel-drive, the DSC has to be from non 4x4 car. The rest does not matter, like dynamic drive etc.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM
New Members

Hi again,

Have a look at the attached image of the DSC/ASC pump that did not work for me.

Part number: 3451 6783360-03. Pump was with breaking function.

Car 535d 2008/05
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade Cruise+Brake (S544A) to Active Cruise Control+stop&go (S5DFA) - E61 LCI '07-image.jpg  

Last edited by Mantelis88; 06-18-2013 at 01:10 PM. Reason: pump part no.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:51 PM
New Members

Thanks for that! It seems that very few numbers for these modules are searchable on RealOEM website. DO you still have the vehicle that you did the retrofit on? I.e. if it wasnt too much trouble could you get an image of the pump and number that you fitted to get it to work.
Been interested to know if there are any visual indications to tell the two pump types apart...

Thanks again Mantelis88!
Old 06-18-2013, 02:17 PM
New Members

No worries.

I still have that car. It has been nearly two years when I started with it. Purchased it without any options and today it is almost fully loaded, including color change and m5 parts. Waiting for the steering wheel to be finished stitching and might post some pictures.

Currently I have the pump from Xi car, therefore I get loads of errors, and am still looking for non Xi part. It is really hard to find one, and new one is not worth getting.

I will be able to take a picture of the Xi one tomorrow. If your car is 4x4, I could sell my one

You can't tell the difference until you open that black box cover on the top and look at the connectors.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM
New Members

OK, so today is the big day, when I finally got the acc+stop&go working, after around 7 months of the purchase of the first part.

So to sum this all up on what you need for LCI:
* The actual radar that mounts behind the front bumper [fits from LCI only]
* The plastic peace on the bumper that covers the radar
* Two sensors behind the front bumper [fits from LCI only]
* You might be needing new front bumper carrier, otherwise you will have to bolt the radar on. Same with the sensors. And the plastic foam behind the bumper does not fit. I just got rid of it, but then the shape of the bumper suffers a bit
* Control unit for the radar and the sensors [fits from LCI only]
* Wiring
* The cruise control switch, that mounts behind the steering wheel
* ACS/DCS control unit and the pump. This is almost always the case, that it needs chaining. [fits from LCI only]

After all this goes the coding. And then, you might be needing calibration of the camera as the error appears. Calibration can only be done by the dealer and even tho not all dealerships has the equipment. Luckily for me there was no need for the calibration.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Hi mantelis!
Do you know the parts list for preLCI cars retrofit, with no stop&go ACC?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Upgrade Cruise+Brake (S544A) to Active Cruise Control+stop&go (S5DFA) - E61 LCI '07