E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Are Transmissions Interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 F02 & 07 e60
Default Are Transmissions Interchangeable?

Hello everyone I am having some issues with my 6HP19 transmission and have been looking for a replacement and was wondering if they are interchangeable? What I mean is can I replace the 6HP19 with a 6HP26 or newer?

If anyone care as to what my problem is. I have been experiencing the harsh down and up shift, it also does this thing at any speed between 45mph and 70mph where it feels like the car is constantly shifting.

I have replaced the Pan, Gasket, Oil, Sleeve, and Adapter, adaptation reset and still nothing so now I'm left with trying to replace the entire transmission until I find another possible solution for this annoying problem.
Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

sounds like the valve body's faulty (mechatronics). You can get the valves replaced and see if it helps. Where are you based?
Old 07-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Members

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 530i base, blue with saddle leather
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by gmcclintock@hotmail.com
Hello everyone I am having some issues with my 6HP19 transmission and have been looking for a replacement and was wondering if they are interchangeable?

snip

so now I'm left with trying to replace the entire transmission until I find another possible solution for this annoying problem.
It's likely the valve body (mechatronics). There are a number of ways to go at it. From actuators, to zipkit, to a rebuilt or new mecha. Since you've been inside, you could put in a new/reman mecha in three hours. Zipkit will take longer, of course.

Look at the ZF section of the attached, particularly the footnotes regarding the ZF, starting pg 12.

Last I heard, you can get a mecha remanufactured for $600, a new one for $1500. See VBX (Valve Body Express): valvebodyxpress.com has been recommended. Now a sub of Sonnax, who build the zipkit among other things.

Waaaay cheaper than a new tranny. And no, you can't replace a 6HP19 with a 6HP26.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by banglenot; 07-23-2015 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:00 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 F02 & 07 e60

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
sounds like the valve body's faulty (mechatronics). You can get the valves replaced and see if it helps. Where are you based?

I was hoping I wouldn't have to go that route but I will give it a try. I am in Phenix City AL or Columbus GA

Originally Posted by banglenot
It's likely the valve body (mechatronics). There are a number of ways to go at it. From actuators, to zipkit, to a rebuilt or new mecha. Since you've been inside, you could put in a new/reman mecha in three hours. Zipkit will take longer, of course.

Look at the ZF section of the attached, particularly the footnotes regarding the ZF, starting pg 12.

Last I heard, you can get a mecha remanufactured for $600, a new one for $1500. See VBX (Valve Body Express): valvebodyxpress.com has been recommended. Now a sub of Sonnax, who build the zipkit among other things.

Waaaay cheaper than a new tranny. And no, you can't replace a 6HP19 with a 6HP26.

Thanks for all the info I will talk a look at everything you provided and try to choose the best route to go. I have heard of the ZipKit so I guess I need to take a look at that to see what its all about. I was also thinking of just replacing the Solenoids and see if that helps...what do you think about that plan?
Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Let me chime in. I feel the rebuild is the safest way to go if there is nothing wrong with the trans itself. Look at it like this if you put the zip kit in and you still have issues you are back to square one and out of the time and money you put into buying the kit. If you go with the rebuild you have a lifetime guarantee from the company VBX/sonnax that your VB will work. Other than replacing the solenoids with upgraded ones they also check the valves for correct pressure and fix if needed. Unless you have the $$$$ for the machine sending it off is the best route. I too was in your position last year. I weighed the pros and cons and just sent it off. I put it in the mail Monday and had my car on the road Thursday and not an issue since. I have recommended this route to others who went the zip kit route and they wish they got the VB rebuilt in the beginning because fixing it went more in depth than just the kit. I am not telling what to do i am just giving you the advise that have given may others on this site and they can attest that VBX route is the way to go. Their are a few people who have had success with just replacing the solenoids and gaskets but I didnt want to drop my pan more than once if that did not work for me. For around $600 you can get it rebuilt and around $300 buy the oil, pan and gaskets needed to complete the job.

Do you work on post.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:52 PM
New Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I put it in the mail Monday and had my car on the road Thursday and not an issue since. I have recommended this route to others who went the zip kit route and they wish they got the VB rebuilt in the beginning because fixing it went more in depth than just the kit. I am not telling what to do i am just giving you the advise that have given may others on this site and they can attest that VBX route is the way to go.
So you mailed yours to VBX? Easy company to work with? They're willing to work with individuals and not garages etc? I think I will be going this route most likely.
Old 07-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 284 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Not really. They will work with you but I have a guy that is a great middle man and he will make sure that everything goes right. He will even help you out over the phone if you have issues putting it back in. It was an easy process. He will also let you know when they ship it back to you so you can be expecting it. They say it takes three days but they will have it back out to you the same day they receive it or the next morning.

World Wide SP
Matthew Cilwa
(513)886-1215

Give him a call he is a great guy. Let him know charles sent you. You can also ask him to add next day shipping back to you if you need it. Just make sure you have all the new gaskets (5) and fresh oil when you reinstall it. Below is the thread if you need any guidance. THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD INFO.

Trans thread by KyleB

Last edited by seanjordan20; 07-23-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by gmcclintock@hotmail.com
What I mean is can I replace the 6HP19 with a 6HP26 or newer?
no.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535iX | JB4 | Methanol Kit | BMS Oil Catch Can | JBL MS-8 | BavSound Stage 1 Speakers | Custom Infotainment System (in progress)
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54
Default Question on 6HP19

Guys, I have a question: Do I need to reprogram the transmission if I put a new valve body in?

I am planing to get a 6HP19A (the Quattro transaxle) from an Audi S4 and mate it to my N54 and just replace the valve body with the one that originally came with my transmission (6HP19) to be able to control the transmission using the N54 ECU. Is this possible?
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by TeflonDon
Just to update - no jolt when coming to a stop. Fingers Crossed
did I miss something? What are you updating info for? wrong thread?

Quick Reply: Are Transmissions Interchangeable?