E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

In other forums, people seem to like G2.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by balbs
In other forums, people seem to like G2.
I've seen plenty of video's on G2 I think im going to stick with Dupli color. Any one know what I can use to strip off all the old caliper paint?....
Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Check out the MPG calipers cover. I had them on my 3 series and have on my 5. They look nice and will last forever. Easy to install. You can choose any color or custom letterings. But not cheep I paid $300 with BMW logo.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Not sure I would use those caliper covers - they just aren't for me. That said, I used Duplicolor and the paint chips the first time you look at the calipers wrong. I will be redoing them when my car gets back from the body shop (long story), but i will be using G2 from R1 Concepts. Better reviews and better color selection than Duplicolor anyway. I would powdercoat them, but I'd rather keep driving my car than have it down for a week to get the PC done, then have to drain and bleed the system again? Nah, that was a PITA!!!! Besides, I have relatively new brake fluid, seems a waste to drain it to PC.
Also, every Civic out there has red calipers, I want to go with the blue similar to the one on the new M5 - which G2 has, Duplicolor doesn't.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Members

Any pics of the 5 with the caliper covers?
Old 11-28-2012, 07:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport

I'd like to see pics of the covers installed too.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:32 AM
New Members

+3
Old 11-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Margal
Check out the MPG calipers cover. I had them on my 3 series and have on my 5. They look nice and will last forever. Easy to install. You can choose any color or custom letterings. But not cheep I paid $300 with BMW logo.
Ive seen those covers online I dont know if I like them they dont have any form to em. Do you have a pics so we can see?

Originally Posted by pjinca
Not sure I would use those caliper covers - they just aren't for me. That said, I used Duplicolor and the paint chips the first time you look at the calipers wrong. I will be redoing them when my car gets back from the body shop (long story), but i will be using G2 from R1 Concepts. Better reviews and better color selection than Duplicolor anyway. I would powdercoat them, but I'd rather keep driving my car than have it down for a week to get the PC done, then have to drain and bleed the system again? Nah, that was a PITA!!!! Besides, I have relatively new brake fluid, seems a waste to drain it to PC.
Also, every Civic out there has red calipers, I want to go with the blue similar to the one on the new M5 - which G2 has, Duplicolor doesn't.
Yea I dont think Im going to do the covers just was getting frustrated with the chipping. Ive seen the G2 kit I thought about it but like most things on the internet reviews are up and down. PC would be perfect but I dont want to go through the hassle. If i was to do the G2 what would be the best way to take off the old paint? It looks pretty stuck on I wish I would have did the brakes myself you can tell they weren't trying to be careful. I dont think Dupli Color sucks to be honest.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Yea I dont think Im going to do the covers just was getting frustrated with the chipping. Ive seen the G2 kit I thought about it but like most things on the internet reviews are up and down. PC would be perfect but I dont want to go through the hassle. If i was to do the G2 what would be the best way to take off the old paint? It looks pretty stuck on I wish I would have did the brakes myself you can tell they weren't trying to be careful. I dont think Dupli Color sucks to be honest.
I wouldn't bother taking off the old paint, just clean it, sand it (if it needs smoothing out), and then apply high temp primer - you can brush it on even if it's in a spray can, just spray some into the lid of the can and then dip the brush. I don't like the finish from the pathetic brushes that come with the kits anyway, I went to Home Depot and bought like 8 of the 1" foam brushes for ~$5. Those created a much smoother finish, even in the areas I couldn't brush but had to dab the paint into.

I can tell you, I do my own brakes, and there's no way to get the spring that holds the caliper on or off without scratching the paint (trust me I tried). I doubt even powdercoat would hold up to too many pad changes, not worth the hassle or the $$$ IMHO, unless you have a brake kit that needs some POP, like an M5 brake kit (which I don't think have the springs that non-M cars have that scratch the paint).
Old 12-01-2012, 05:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by lciaccio
Any pics of the 5 with the caliper covers?
Anyway here is the pic with cover
Attached Thumbnails Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?