E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?

Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?

I've gotten my brakes changed yet again and now have to repaint my calipers for the 3rd time.... I dont do my brakes myself which I should and the mechanic has chipped my calipers yet again. Its driving me nuts but Im tired of painting them. I want covers but dont want to be a poser and buy those Brembo look a likes that I see on the internet. Should I or just tackle the job again?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: check siggg

paint or powdercoat
Old 10-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

How about plastidip spray ? It makes rubber cover for it..
Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by dR.jonezz
Do they make plastidip in Red?.... How hard is the process?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by dR.jonezz
Won't plastidip melt?
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i think plasti-dip will melt....

how are you going about painting the brakes in the first place? if dont properly they shouldnt chip so easily...i have had tons of brake and wheel work done since i painted my brakes and havent had an issue....but then again i did a crazy paint job on mine and it took me a full wknd to complete.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by umichchris
i think plasti-dip will melt....

how are you going about painting the brakes in the first place? if dont properly they shouldnt chip so easily...i have had tons of brake and wheel work done since i painted my brakes and havent had an issue....but then again i did a crazy paint job on mine and it took me a full wknd to complete.
Lol, yea man I see your work on here I don't have the time to do something like that car can only be down a day at the max for me. The first time I got it done was when I got my rims Im sure they just scuffed the rotor and painted them. Then I did the job myself. I did not take the caliper off tho. Covered the whole care and everything around the wheel well that I did not want painted. Cleaned calipers thoroughly, I wanted to remove old paint but I couldnt to many small spaces for me. I then scuffed the caliper with sand paper to give the new paint something to stick to and sprayed them with Dupli color caliper paint. The job came out perfect its just that now there's little chips and such from where the mechanic I guess had to use his tools n I dont like it the paint as a whole held up. Im willing to paint them one more time but dont want to have to do it again for a while just got brakes and rotors changed so hopefully those wont have to come off anytime soon for anything... Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2012, 06:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

what paint are you using?? VHT caliper paint is great stuff.. i did an initial light spray after cleaning the calipers with break dust cleaner, followed by a second spray and have had no problems for 4 years. Also 1 and half years on another car. Maybe you're using the wrong stuff?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by jasperxli
paint or powdercoat
+1
Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BEE M
what paint are you using?? VHT caliper paint is great stuff.. i did an initial light spray after cleaning the calipers with break dust cleaner, followed by a second spray and have had no problems for 4 years. Also 1 and half years on another car. Maybe you're using the wrong stuff?
I used Dupli Color caliper paint its the same thing as VHT...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tired of Painting my calipers!!!!..... Any options?