E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tinting in Los Angeles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

I am getting a new 545 in Jet Black.

I think it looks great tinted, and I am considering tinting mine, but I never have tinted a car and I have some questions:

- I have heard that any tint lighter than 70% is illegal in California (I am in L.A.); is this true?
- Is it true that the law allows for darker tinting for the rear passenger widows? I am not interested in tinting the car different shades if this is true, I do not like the way it looks.
- Are the tinting laws enforced in L.A. or other parts of California? Does anybody know the penalties if cited?
- If illegal, how is it that there are so many cars driving around L.A. with tinted windows?
- What percentage tint is the 545 when it comes from the factory?
- Is daytime visibility from inside the car looking out compromised at all? Does the world just look a little darker?
- Does the tint interfere with radio/NAV, or anything else?

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by fishskis' date='Mar 5 2005, 08:02 PM
- I have heard that any tint lighter than 70% is illegal in California (I am in L.A.); is this true?

[snapback]97788[/snapback]
You mean any tint darker than 70% is illegal right? Yes thats correct you cannot have any tint darker than 70% on the front windows. Is it 70% I think it might be 80% but either way its really light and if you have it on the front side windows its not legal.

- Is it true that the law allows for darker tinting for the rear passenger widows? I am not interested in tinting the car different shades if this is true, I do not like the way it looks.

Yes true they dont care how dark the rear windows are including the windshield.

- Are the tinting laws enforced in L.A. or other parts of California? Does anybody know the penalties if cited?

Cop dependant enforcement. If the guy has a bad day or if hes a newbie that wants to follow ALL the rules then sorry. Penalty is a Fix It Ticket that you need to fix it and prove it to them and get it signed off. Before Fix it tickets were just fix it and no fine I'm not sure what or if there are fines related to Fix it right now. Could be city dependant also. I think Hollywood are was $35 maybe more now.

- If illegal, how is it that there are so many cars driving around L.A. with tinted windows?
Because people like how it looks and want to take the risk.

- What percentage tint is the 545 when it comes from the factory?

Dunno.

- Is daytime visibility from inside the car looking out compromised at all? Does the world just look a little darker?

Daytime? a little darker... dependant on how dark you want it. I have 17% all around and its darker in the day just a little but at night its pretty dark looking out. I'm beginning to think I went too dark. It was Madico 20 but it wasnt 20%!! it was 17%. I have 22% on my other car and it was perfectly fine so I thought 20 would be ooooooooooook... but it wasnt 20 but 17 so it got a little too dark. Hope it lightens up later.

- Does the tint interfere with radio/NAV, or anything else?

Radio maybe... if you get metallic tints. NAV no since thats on the sharkfin. Radio is on the rear windshield I think... but i havent noticed any difference with the tint with my radio.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2002 M3 Convertible SMG Silver/Black 2005 545i ED Jet Black/Beige

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Mar 6 2005, 01:46 AM
[quote name='fishskis' date='Mar 5 2005, 08:02 PM']

You mean any tint darker than 70% is illegal right? Yes thats correct you cannot have any tint darker than 70% on the front windows. Is it 70% I think it might be 80% but either way its really light and if you have it on the front side windows its not legal.

[/quote]

Yes, I meant darker (whoops).

Thanks for the comprehensive response.

I have done a little more research since I posted, and it seems that there is a high quality manufacturer of ceramic tints that will not interfere with radio and/or NAV. But at about $700, I don't think I am prepared to take the risk of getting a ticket and having to remove, then replace the tinting (possibly over and over).
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545, Auto, Sport, L7, Pdc, Sunshades, Silver Gray/Black, 19x8.5/9.5 Monet Wheels, Michelin PS A/S Tires, Full M-KIt, B&B Exhaust, 20% Llumar Tint

You may NOT legally have ANY tint on the front passenger/front driver side windows in California, regardless of shade. And it is an infraction that an officer can pull you over for without any other cause (it's happened to me twice)
Old 03-07-2005, 11:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530I Black/Black, Premium/Sport, Navigation 2005 545I Silver/Black, Premium/Sport, Logic 7, Navigation

I have pretty dark tint on my car and never had any problem with it, if you are worry about when the cop close by, open the sunroof on the daytime.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '11 X5 xDrive35i Sport Activity M Sport Carbon Black Cinnamon Brown Dark Bamboo Anthracite Headliner M Sports Pkg Convenience Pkg Active Steering Comfort Access Heated Front Seats Navigation Premium Hi-Fi

I have the same tint on my new e60 as I had on my last e39. 35% all around. My e39 was Titanuim Silver and in the 3 years of driving it I was pulled over and ticketed twice for illegal tint on front driver and passenger windows. I haven't been pulled over once in my Jet Black e60 - it's been a year...

I think the shade contrast on a Jet Black car doesn't look as dark compared to a Silver or lighter car. The sun roof idea mentioned above works as well. Or just roll down the front windows...

[I think I just jinxed myself]
Old 03-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Most cars have some level of tint imprinted within the glass from the factory.

70% is not an uncommon OEM tint level on some cars.
The CA rule is obviously set at that amount so that you can't alter a factory window on the front half of the car.