E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

switch blade key fob mod not working for me

Old 04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default switch blade key fob mod not working for me

hey guys I need some ideas I tried following the mod to switch from the old diamond key to a newer fob from the diy section everyone seems to have had success except for me for some reason when I put my new key in the ignition I get no response from the car the key just turns but I have no power no lights no nothing I have a feeling my case that the actual blade of the diamond key somehow signals the car to start not some rf signal I made a post about it in the actual diy thread I'm hoping someone could see it here or there and help out

https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...7/#post1502275
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 AM
Senior Members

Hmm no suggestions maybe ill upload a video to show what I'm talking about so those who know the inner workings of this car can chime in and tell me why isn't this mod working for me
Old 04-22-2013, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

so i shot a video explaining more about my problem any thoughts ideas or suggestions would help

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

This is precisely the issue I explained in the other thread. your blade has to be paired with that chipset. It has nothing to do with plastic. The blade has another chip on the other end of it. You can clearly see it, that big hunky piece of plastic under the blade (the base of the blade). Sorry you had this trouble bro I already explained this.
Really can't expect an uncut/unprogramed blade to sync up with your chipset do you?
If other's claim it works then they are probably lying to get "thread cred" or probably have different types of keys.
As is though you can put it in that case and use it as a spare to open doors etc but that's it.
Good luck
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Senior Members

Ah we'll an issue that will have to rest with me thanks for your help and input achtung It makes sense to me that it won't work for me. As far as those that did get this to work wish i could understand what is so different about there diamond keys that allows them to complete it I have an 04i would hate to think in 05-06 they lessened the security of car by making any blade be able to start the car. It's just all so confusing
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

When you buy the key in the eBay listing it says make sure your key has the small black plastic piece on the top right corner.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
This is precisely the issue I explained in the other thread. your blade has to be paired with that chipset. It has nothing to do with plastic. The blade has another chip on the other end of it. You can clearly see it, that big hunky piece of plastic under the blade (the base of the blade). Sorry you had this trouble bro I already explained this.
Really can't expect an uncut/unprogramed blade to sync up with your chipset do you?
If other's claim it works then they are probably lying to get "thread cred" or probably have different types of keys.
As is though you can put it in that case and use it as a spare to open doors etc but that's it.
Good luck
sorry, but you are 100% incorrect.

i purchased the same key fob, and mine works perfectly fine. in fact, i had another one cut as well and have had zero issues with either. is the fob quality great? not so much, it has a cheap feel to it, and the switch blade part isnt the best. but the key works as described and does make it look a lot better than the old diamond style. ive also had no issues with the battery in the fob not charging as well

ill post a video tomorrow to prove it if its that necessary. i was starting the car with just the blade and the chip i held next to the ignition, started fine, if i move the chip away i get a error on idrive saying if i turn off the car i might not be able to turn it back on. error goes away when chip is near ignition again.

Im guessing it might not be getting cut correctly. if you hold the chip next to the ignition while your trying to use the new cut key, does it turn? and i dont mean having the chip seated in the new key fob, but have the chip right on the ignition part. see if it makes any difference.

+1 thread cred, and +1 ownage
Old 04-23-2013, 05:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by roskinc
sorry, but you are 100% incorrect.

i purchased the same key fob, and mine works perfectly fine. in fact, i had another one cut as well and have had zero issues with either. is the fob quality great? not so much, it has a cheap feel to it, and the switch blade part isnt the best. but the key works as described and does make it look a lot better than the old diamond style. ive also had no issues with the battery in the fob not charging as well

ill post a video tomorrow to prove it if its that necessary. i was starting the car with just the blade and the chip i held next to the ignition, started fine, if i move the chip away i get a error on idrive saying if i turn off the car i might not be able to turn it back on. error goes away when chip is near ignition again.

Im guessing it might not be getting cut correctly. if you hold the chip next to the ignition while your trying to use the new cut key, does it turn? and i dont mean having the chip seated in the new key fob, but have the chip right on the ignition part. see if it makes any difference.

+1 thread cred, and +1 ownage
I agree with roskinc100%, I have the same key and there is no extra chip at the base of the blade, I know because I opened that area and it is just plastic, quality? again roskinc is right, after I had mine working fine for a month it fell apart! the mechanism is flimsy and it has a cheap feel to it.
I went back to my diamond fob.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i base model
Model Year: 2006

Make sure you didn't damage the circuit board when you cut the fob open, that happens if you cut too deep.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dakest
Make sure you didn't damage the circuit board when you cut the fob open, that happens if you cut too deep.
I'm interested to see your guys keys because in my conclusion there are 2 different types of diamond keys I contacted the seller and showed him my video he basically told me the reason why my car isn't starting is because i don't have the key with the separate immobilizer you said your key doesn't have an extra chip and you still got it started I'm curious to know how. Take a look at the pic the one on the left is the key the seller says you must have in order for the mod to work on the right is my key they are clearly different. Now which one resembles your key his or mine?

@roskinc to you as well i would like to know between the two pics which key resembles yours also could one of you upload a pic of the board I would love to see where is the separate immobilizer located on it
Attached Thumbnails switch blade key fob mod not working for me-image.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: switch blade key fob mod not working for me