5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Stereo relocating and aftermarket install questions (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/stereo-relocating-aftermarket-install-questions-149221/)

azmalu 01-02-2019 05:42 PM

Stereo relocating and aftermarket install questions

after adding an aux and running JL w1 12's I havent been happy with the sound from my Hifi (S676A) setup. The amp has been finicky and the driver sub would sometimes cut out.

I want to run 4 chan amp to factory speakers. RD400/4 4-Channel Class D Full-Range Amplifier, 100 W x 4 @ 2 Ω (eventually swap them out but no rush)

Install a double din that has 5v inputs BT audio and eq control that the factory system is lacking. I turn the treble all the way down and it still feels harsh at times

For these reasons I don't want to maintain factory stereo and add a DSP like the JBL MS-8 or Mobridge DA3.

Its been done a few years back before where the shop made a custom din kit. Metra has one now. The wiring part is what I could use some help on.

I understand factory stereo needs to be kept intact and most move it to the glovebox. Are new cables needed or are they long enough to reach glove box?

I know I'll need harness to connect to factory wiring and antenna. I'm ok with disabling center channel and chimes but would like to keep steering wheel controls.

Connects2 which is UK based has a kit that does it all (double din = everything else mentioned above for about $325 USD) Has anyone used it? What are your thoughts?

If not that kit what would be the best way to piecemeal the required harnesses and wiring?

Kelyn Weiss 04-13-2021 02:32 PM

Aftermarket upgradr

Sorry I understand that is an old topic but to answer the question no you do not need extensions but they are certainly advisable. The reason being you'll spend hours trying to unthread the harness inside the dash just move the wires around to the other side problem still is fiber optics to my knowledge as of the time of this reply there is no extension for those fiber optics so you do lose those but that's just the subject under the seats as far as I understand it I wired mine in direct wire to the harness all I needed was a power ground and the speaker outputs because the head unit itself the stock one already provides a high level input coming out of the deck so you can run that straight to your into your aftermarket and as long as you haven't cut the harness yourself too much or even really at all the factory amp will still activate when you turn the car on and you're head unit will supply the necessary signals sounds great in my 04 525 and my own I know it's posing to be a huge huge problem so best luck. Or I guess I should say I hope you're able to figure it out.

joyner08 08-04-2021 10:26 AM

add amp for bass maybe an epicenter

in my 525i all I did is cut the sub out cables from the amp in the trunk connected a Highs to low adapter installed an epicenter and amp and connected the stock subs to the new amp. treble all the way UP and bass all the way down on idrive and sounds amazing. lots of bass clear voice couldn't be happier