E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

steering wheel stopped going up on key off

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem but it wouldnt move at all. If you can hear the motor working but its still not moving then the steering wheel adjustment cable probaly got stuck or snapped. Can you still move the wheel front to back without any problems? Mine snapped so I just had to manually moved and locked in a permanent position.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

I read that forum and tried the up and down thing and it didn't work however I didn't reposition and set seat memory ill try it again when I get back to the car also to answer the question I can still manually use the switch to perform all movements tilting and telescoping.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Initially it didn't work for me either. After setting the seat and sterring wheenl in a NEW position with a different button and then going back to the original it started working.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Members

So I went back to the car and tried all the repositioning seats and wheel but the results were worse this time, after I stored the new memories I moved it all out of wack and hit button 1 but this time only the seats moves and steering wheel didn't budge i didn't even hear it click and get stuck I removed the key and still the steering wheel did nothing. I tried it all over again repeating the positioning process but the results were the same.... Any way biggest fail happened when i went to try a third time and this time i manually couldn't move the wheel some times i would hear it and it would click other times I got nothing. So I left it alone and drove home with my steering wheel stuck in the all the way up position LOL. The only positive was when i got home I tried to manually move it down again and it worked again.

My thoughts as to what is going on is that i played with it so much in the key on but not started position that i killed the battery just enough that it stopped working or that i over worked the motor in the wheel. I'm leaning more towards the battery idea because it moved back after a short half hour drive home which the battery took some recharge during the trip.

In trying to diagnose the problem in order to try and resolve the issue assuming I am experiencing some sort of battery drain how can I check my battery voltage level? my previous car had a battery gauge.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

volt meter under the hood on the red + and any ground spot or take it to Autozone/other and have it tested.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Thanks I think Imma do it myelf those hack out of work auto mechanics are always standing outside auto zone pressuring you to let them get there hands on that German craftsmenship
Old 04-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If your battery is old, go ahead and replace it. AZ has an exact duplicate for the 535. Just make sure the Ca and CCa are the same. Come to think of it when I had my problem my battery was old and really needed replacing. The problem sorted itself out even with the old battery but i replaced it anyways. Never actually drew a correlation between the two, but maybe there is.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 550i

I had a similar problem when I bought mine, the steering wheel was not moving when shutting down/starting the car. I found a thread somewhere in here that suggested moving the wheel all the way up, then all the way down, then to the position that you feel comfortable driving at. That sorted it out for me.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

PROBLEM SOLVED some how I don't know why or how, I went to go code a parameter in the tcu module with ncs expert this morning to see if I could fix another issue i was having with an SOS error i got from doing a tcu retrofit. I didn't fix my SOS issue but funny thing after i finished coding the car shut off and back on steering wheel started moving up and down again like nothing ever happened. I dunno maybe the coding reset something in the computer who knows LOL but i'm happy my baby is back to normal.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

IIRC, the steering tilt-up on key off only works under the following conditions:
1) Tilt position has been stored / set
2) Tilt position has not been manually changed after it has been stored

When it stops tilting-up on key off, try storing your personalization (seat) settings again.

Quick Reply: steering wheel stopped going up on key off