E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

steering wheel stopped going up on key off

Old 04-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah as the title says i noticed today that all the sudden when i start the car and remove my key the steering wheel doesn't go up and down anymore. I read some websites saying my memory could of got reset but thats not the case because my seats and mirrors still adjust when i push the memory button. I tried to manually move it up and down with the button then reset the memory function but still when i turn off the car it wont go up. I don't really know what caused this I haven't done any thing out of the norm to the car the battery is charged up, and I didn't switch keys. Does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting this issue or fixing the problem?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Try disconnecting the battery and connecting it back might help?
Old 04-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

so I tried what you recommended tonight but it didn't work I don't know if this fully constitutes as disconnecting battery but i removed negative terminal for about 1 hour. whats interesting is it seems the car didn't go to sleep as soon as i started the car the music resumed right where it left off right away I only had to reset time and date. but still for now as it stands the steering if not moving on its own I can still move it manually, sometimes however i push the button and it will get stuck but once i touch it again it will move up and down. This is really strange how the feature just stopped working all of the sudden
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

If it jam once I think it stops and remembers it. So some how it needs to be reset. Maybe turn off the feature in the menu, wait a couple days and then enable it.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:51 AM
Senior Members

Worth a shot but i don't remember where do i see something like that in the menus what is it called?
Old 04-03-2012, 05:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

Have you tried using the other key fob then going back to your current one to see if it somehow resets? I think I had this problem off and on for a bit. I tried that and it worked. Then went back to not going up. I went and adjusted the seat a little and the wheel and then set the memory again. I think that fixed it. However I also ran into an issue where the audio in my car was always on mute when the car started. Turns out I had a bad battery or something was pulling too much draining the battery. Dealership ended up replacing the battery and resettting everything. Haven't had a problem since.

Not sure if my story helps you or not but good luck! I know the little things like this can be quite frustrating.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for your input I did try switching keys however that didn't do the trick. But in regards to re positioning memory that showed some promise... Before when the problem began if i manually position the tilt all the way up and push the memory 1 or 2 nothing happened with the wheel, if out of place seats and mirrors would still move. So this morning i adjusted the driver seat and saved a new seat position when i pressed memory one the steering wheelmoved into place I was so happy and thought yes that did the trick. However when i turned off the car the wheel didn't go up. I was in a rush to work so i couldn't play with it long so i re inserted my key to the on position and i heard the tilt motor make an attempt to move it infact it moved down just a little then got stuck so o removed the key and i heard the motor again and it clicked up for a sec again but got stuck.

This is showing some promise I will play with it again when i get sometime later however it has been at the back of my mind all morning that maybe my tilt telescoping motor is going bad. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is if it were going bad I shouldn't be able to move it manually. Maybe it could be a bat issue a few days prior to me losing this "comfort exit" function I was doing some electrical audio wiring in the car and i kept turning it on and off while testing my ipod naturally I weakend the battery and got the bat symbol on cluster screen and all my memory funtions were disabled. I started the car and let the battery charge until all my function came back including the steering wheel up and down on key on and off. So maybe I damaged the battery during that time but i don't think its related because like 4 days after is when the tilting stopped working.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport

check your battery voltage. it may be low.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

How u do that
Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had the same problem last year and another member recommended to reset the sterring column by running it all the way up and when it stops press it up again as it will go a little further. Repeat this now for the down direction. After a few times and then I also moved the seat repositioned the tilt and selected a new preset. This seemed to get it back to where its supposed to be.
https://5series.net/forums/topic/116...1#entry1377490

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering wheel stopped going up on key off