E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sprint Booster and Check engine light problems - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I received my Sprintbooster last week and installed it on Friday. I was impressed with the performance and enjoyed two days of driving. On Sunday, the check engine light (CEL) came on, I figured it may be related to the Sprint booster so I removed it. The CEL did not go away immidiately but after about a 10 minute drive it disapeared. It was fine for about 24 hours and then came on again and I had not reinstalled the Sprintbooster at this time.

At this point I scrolled through the service section of I-drive to see if there were any warnings/error messages and I did notice that oil was low so I added some, and the CEL went away again briefly, only to come back on later that day.

The car is a 2008 with only 4200 miles on the clock.

I realy like the Sprintbooster performance and want to continue to use it, but am not sure what to do at this point? Is the dealer the only one who can reset the check engine light?
Could it have been solely related to the low oil? Does the CEL even come on for lower oil levels or was this just an odd coincidence?

Any advice/experience with this issue?

Thanks!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

The only experiance that I had with the engine light was that I need oil too. And if I remember correctly it was around the same mileage you have. Other than that I can't help you sorry....
Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WindycityBMW' post='579369' date='May 13 2008, 05:51 AM
Hi All,

I received my Sprintbooster last week and installed it on Friday. I was impressed with the performance and enjoyed two days of driving. On Sunday, the check engine light (CEL) came on, I figured it may be related to the Sprint booster so I removed it. The CEL did not go away immidiately but after about a 10 minute drive it disapeared. It was fine for about 24 hours and then came on again and I had not reinstalled the Sprintbooster at this time.

At this point I scrolled through the service section of I-drive to see if there were any warnings/error messages and I did notice that oil was low so I added some, and the CEL went away again briefly, only to come back on later that day.

The car is a 2008 with only 4200 miles on the clock.

I realy like the Sprintbooster performance and want to continue to use it, but am not sure what to do at this point? Is the dealer the only one who can reset the check engine light?
Could it have been solely related to the low oil? Does the CEL even come on for lower oil levels or was this just an odd coincidence?

Any advice/experience with this issue?

Thanks!

You might have a bad sprint booster, try to swap it with a different / new ones. The ECU record all CEL activity, its probably the reason it came back on after you removed the sb. I suggest going to the dealer without the sprint booster , have them do the ECU reset / Update. Reinstall the new sprint booster.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Members

It went off (CEL) by itself yesterday. The SB is not installed. The dealer I purchased from is in the 'burbs, about a 45 minute drive depending on traffic, so I would prefer not to trek out there if I don't have to.

I will see what happens over the next few days, if it comes back again I guess I will head out there.
I hope it was a "one off" and I didn't get a bad SB, shipping it back to Hong Kong would be a pain.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by WindycityBMW' post='580744' date='May 14 2008, 04:14 PM
It went off (CEL) by itself yesterday. The SB is not installed. The dealer I purchased from is in the 'burbs, about a 45 minute drive depending on traffic, so I would prefer not to trek out there if I don't have to.

I will see what happens over the next few days, if it comes back again I guess I will head out there.
I hope it was a "one off" and I didn't get a bad SB, shipping it back to Hong Kong would be a pain.
My best guess is that your CEL is unrelated to the Sprint Booster and that you only needed oil. I would call the dealer, and see if they want to see the car due to the erratic CEL and enjoy the Sprint Booster every day till then!