E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Springs or swaybars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i stock. 2000 Jeep Wrangler non-stock =)

Everyone talks about springs, but does eveyone get them along with swaybars? Am I going to notice a difference with just swaybars added? I'm avoiding springs at this point due to a couple reasons, mostly i can't make a decision on my wheels and size, probably 18" or 19", but would like to see how the cars looks without it being lowered. I don't have the sport package, if that makes any difference when adding swarbars. Thanks fellas! =)
Old 10-10-2006, 12:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Bubbarossa' post='343334' date='Oct 10 2006, 02:48 PM
Everyone talks about springs, but does eveyone get them along with swaybars? Am I going to notice a difference with just swaybars added? I'm avoiding springs at this point due to a couple reasons, mostly i can't make a decision on my wheels and size, probably 18" or 19", but would like to see how the cars looks without it being lowered. I don't have the sport package, if that makes any difference when adding swarbars. Thanks fellas! =)
I have installed the tower bar and the sway bars and it is another car of it own.
I 100% say yes get the sway bars but tower bar maybe.
I have not got the springs and will not get them because of the ruff roads in HK.
I have taiwan towerbar and H&R sways bars.
The H&R sway bars wight is not light. the OEM is very light and no good at all for fast corning.
Old 10-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Contributors

here are some pic of the tower bar

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...m&album=980

19" AC rep. wheels

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=module...m&album=967
Old 10-10-2006, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

pinguhk... how is that bar... look like a good design but, i understand you got it realy cheap... how much does it effect the handling,,
Old 10-10-2006, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by madoon' post='343369' date='Oct 10 2006, 08:27 PM
pinguhk... how is that bar... look like a good design but, i understand you got it realy cheap... how much does it effect the handling,,
The bar cost $150us and U can just install it your self.
As for the handling I say it is about 50% better.
But if U what the best change the sway bars they will be 300% better.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't give to many specs about your car... if you have the sport Pkg ,in the US it comes with Active Roll Stabilization which is essentially Sway bars with a computer controlled hydraulic component. You won't be able to upgrade the sway bars without loosing this incredible feature.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='343423' date='Oct 10 2006, 11:01 PM
You don't give to many specs about your car... if you have the sport Pkg ,in the US it comes with Active Roll Stabilization which is essentially Sway bars with a computer controlled hydraulic component. You won't be able to upgrade the sway bars without loosing this incredible feature.
In Hk there is no sport PKG when I got my car in 2004 and If you go into my profile you can see the spec.
Now you can have the Active Roll Stabilization just like my sway bars but for a price in HK about $5800us
and my H&R sways bars is only $480us alot less
Old 10-10-2006, 10:21 AM
Members

I don't have the active roll stabalization (sports package), the reason i'm looking at swaybars before springs or any other handling component. Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 10-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Members

The car doesn't have to handle like it's on rails as i feel it handles pretty well in stock form, plus the fact that i slide allover in my seats when cornering, i'd just like to eliminate some of the body roll. Sounds like swaybars might be my first upgrade.

Sadly, i have yet to see a 5-series in "real" life with anything more than 18's on there and those have been OE sports package wheels. I do, however, like that size. Has anyone only upgraded from 17" to 18" wheels? The reason i'm asking, it seems there are more choices for 18" and 20" than 19. I'm not sold on getting 20s yet. In all honesty, i have been perfectly happy with how the car looks, rides, handles...until finding this forum, damn you guys and your 20inch rims! LOL!!! Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! =)
Old 10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by Bubbarossa' post='343504' date='Oct 10 2006, 01:20 PM
The car doesn't have to handle like it's on rails as i feel it handles pretty well in stock form, plus the fact that i slide allover in my seats when cornering, i'd just like to eliminate some of the body roll. Sounds like swaybars might be my first upgrade.

Sadly, i have yet to see a 5-series in "real" life with anything more than 18's on there and those have been OE sports package wheels. I do, however, like that size. Has anyone only upgraded from 17" to 18" wheels? The reason i'm asking, it seems there are more choices for 18" and 20" than 19. I'm not sold on getting 20s yet. In all honesty, i have been perfectly happy with how the car looks, rides, handles...until finding this forum, damn you guys and your 20inch rims! LOL!!! Anyway, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! =)
Don't have much to add since I don't have sway bar, but I got a Sachs suspension kit (which uses Eibach spring and Sachs performance shocks), and it get rid of a lot of body roll. I have 19" BBS and it's still very smooth, ride suffers a little but my wife hasn't complained yet. If you were to upgrade, you can probably find the 18" SP wheels cheap from people changing out from their 545/550i, but then those wheels are fairly heavy and it's on run-flat... Since you are in SD, you should hit up with vegastrashed and he got his car all modded =P

Quick Reply: Springs or swaybars?