E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Brilliant, thanks a million. Indeed there's still a snag as far as the missing buttons are concerned and if your mechanic has an idea about this it would be highly appreciated. Going in on Wednesday next week so would love to hear further from you.
Will do. Like I said, hopefully it's just a question of communications between the SZL and the trans ctrl unit. The paddles connect separately to the SZL module, so even if they're not connected the trans ctrl unit may still be expecting to be connected to the SZL. I'll ask if the SA can check this while fixing my wiring and let you know.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:41 PM
Members

i ordered the parts !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 09' 525i M Sport Alpine White 19" 172 Alloys Logic 7 USB Sun Protection Glass Lumbar Support SAT (Sports Auto Transmission)

Are you just doing the hardware swop and are you doing it yourself ?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by rolly888
i ordered the parts !!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome - let us know how the install goes!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by NavarroOne
Brilliant, thanks a million. Indeed there's still a snag as far as the missing buttons are concerned and if your mechanic has an idea about this it would be highly appreciated. Going in on Wednesday next week so would love to hear further from you.
Just dropped off my car and had a short discussion with SA regarding the communications from the SZL to the trans ctrl unit. He believes that the fault would still exist even if you connected the SZL to the trans ctrl unit based on the posted SIB, as he thinks the SZL would detect that the paddles were not present and create the fault code. Unfortunately, for the rewiring we're doing today he will not need to get at the SZL on my car so he won't be able to test the theory (although he has surprised me in the past -- if he does manage to test the module disconnecting the paddles I'll let you know). He believes you would need to actually have the paddles in place and connected to the SZL for the fault to disappear.

Now... all that being said we've all seen that SA's are not always correct. When there's no specific information from BMW on a particular issue, they sometimes need to make an educated guess based on their experience... which is where you are at this point. I'd suggest having a talk with your SA about running a wire from the SZL to the trans ctrl unit (I think it actually connects to a fairly accessible junction box) to see if it fixes the issue... this probably would be minimal cost, and just might be the solution. Failing that, I guess your choice is to either de-program the S2TBA option from the car or to complete the retrofit with the addition of the wheel with paddles.

Given that others were able to swap in the SAT shifter box and successfully program the vehicle to accept it - you'd think there has to be a solution to make this work without adding the paddles...
Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by poot1873
I've been following you guys posts above, the bill from BMW must be horrendous for getting this done. I'm happy with the hardware mod alone, dont fancy splashing out the cash just for it to say 'Sport' in the dash ! But good luck to you both.
Keep in mind I also added a heated m-sport wheel and paddle-shifters in my case, so the coding was required to make the new components work. Yes, it was definitely more expensive to go this route, but these options were the only items I felt I was missing when I picked up a 550i off the dealer's lot at a fantastic price. Normally I would order the vehicle with exactly the options I wanted, but all-in I've saved a lot of $$ going the route I did to get the car I wanted.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Fantastic follow up, thank you so much. I've decided to have it returned to the stage where I just did the hardware install as I don't have the shift buttons and BMW will oblige with that at no further cost; that's 98% as far as I'm concerned and I want to close this chapter and move on, enjoying the car.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

On the subject of shift paddles, it looks like you can't have it all:

32342283945 M steering wheel (heated and lane departure, NO SHIFT PADDLES)

32342283952 M steering wheel (NOT HEATED, lane dep, shift paddles)

32342283949 M steering wheel (heated, NO LANE DEPARTURE WARNING, shift paddles)

I guess if I HAVE to choose, I'll give up the heated steering wheel. I wear gloves in the winter anyway!
Attached Thumbnails Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-wheaties1a.jpg  
Old 05-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
On the subject of shift paddles, it looks like you can't have it all:

32342283945 M steering wheel (heated and lane departure, NO SHIFT PADDLES)

32342283952 M steering wheel (NOT HEATED, lane dep, shift paddles)

32342283949 M steering wheel (heated, NO LANE DEPARTURE WARNING, shift paddles)

I guess if I HAVE to choose, I'll give up the heated steering wheel. I wear gloves in the winter anyway!
Hmmm... I wonder why that is? Looking at the connectors (coil spring cartridge and SZL) there are versions that support both heated and lane departure functions (they all support the paddle shifters). Not knowing how the lane departure warning works I can't speculate as to why they wouldn't be compatible, but it does seem odd.

There's always the option to go with the plain 'ol sport wheel 32346774125 that supports all three...
Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by Wpg550
Just dropped off my car and had a short discussion with SA regarding the communications from the SZL to the trans ctrl unit. He believes that the fault would still exist even if you connected the SZL to the trans ctrl unit based on the posted SIB, as he thinks the SZL would detect that the paddles were not present and create the fault code. Unfortunately, for the rewiring we're doing today he will not need to get at the SZL on my car so he won't be able to test the theory (although he has surprised me in the past -- if he does manage to test the module disconnecting the paddles I'll let you know). He believes you would need to actually have the paddles in place and connected to the SZL for the fault to disappear.

Now... all that being said we've all seen that SA's are not always correct. When there's no specific information from BMW on a particular issue, they sometimes need to make an educated guess based on their experience... which is where you are at this point. I'd suggest having a talk with your SA about running a wire from the SZL to the trans ctrl unit (I think it actually connects to a fairly accessible junction box) to see if it fixes the issue... this probably would be minimal cost, and just might be the solution. Failing that, I guess your choice is to either de-program the S2TBA option from the car or to complete the retrofit with the addition of the wheel with paddles.

Given that others were able to swap in the SAT shifter box and successfully program the vehicle to accept it - you'd think there has to be a solution to make this work without adding the paddles...
Has your SA pulled a rabbit and solved your SAT wowes yet? I have a list of parts and am awaiting word of a successful install with a list of potential gotchas before making my case to the dealer for a retrofit.

Alles Beste!
Attached Thumbnails Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-wheaties1a.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit