E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by dgr8wun
Im interested in doing just the software update for the SAT.
I have an 09 535i, and i've used ncs expert before. does anyone have a step by step diy on how to do this? i dont plan on doing the retrofit anytime soon, i just want the faster shifting in manual mode.
thanks
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...4/#post1445877

It should be noted that the sport mode actually makes a pretty big difference though. Manual shifts are *much* quicker with sport on vs off. It's still faster than the stock software no matter what, but I'd keep an eye out for a good deal on the good retrofit (I got lucky and found the full kit for $80 on eBay).

You might be able to get a similar effect if you do the "hidden sport mode" retrofit that the pre-LCI guys do (though the pinout is slightly different on LCI models IIRC)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:28 AM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535i

Originally Posted by terraphantm
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...4/#post1445877

It should be noted that the sport mode actually makes a pretty big difference though. Manual shifts are *much* quicker with sport on vs off. It's still faster than the stock software no matter what, but I'd keep an eye out for a good deal on the good retrofit (I got lucky and found the full kit for $80 on eBay).

You might be able to get a similar effect if you do the "hidden sport mode" retrofit that the pre-LCI guys do (though the pinout is slightly different on LCI models IIRC)
Thanks!

Last edited by dgr8wun; 03-11-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 635D

Hi everybody, my first post...

My car has an auto gearbox with, from factory, the DCT shifter and a sport steering wheel with paddle shifters. I have to push to downshift and pull to upshift, the same on both sides.
I would like to have the SMG style : downshift left, and upshift right.

This mod is very easy if your shifter has 3 wires, but I have 4 wires...

I think I have to invert the 2 center wires, but not sure... any confirmation or idea ?
Thanks !

Last edited by alexz; 03-23-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 AM
New Members

Nobody ?

I have take a look at the internal switch of the left shiftpaddle : there are 4 connectors, with pins 1 and 2 connected to the switch.
I have tried to invert those two connectors and it works.

But there are two resistances on pin 1, and not on pin 2. So I'm not sure about conflicts...
Any confirmation?
Old 04-01-2017, 06:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61
Default E61 Paddle retofit, almost there

Hi All

I had posted this to the bmw coding forum because I think it is a coding issue but no one there was able to help, sorry for the double posting but perhaps someone here has been in this situation of everything working but the gears dont change when the paddles are pulled or pushed.

I fitted the SAT gear lever and steering wheel with paddles from a 2009 535 e60 to a 2010 535 e61
NCS Expert: VO changed to $2TB
WinkKFP: EGS flashed the $2TB firmware

1) Install 1 wire on pin 12 of SZL connector (X1880) and run to ground
2) Install 1 wire on pin 13 of SZL connector (X1880) and run to connector X6031 in ebox to pin 11 (Fat BLUE in the picture)
Click image for larger version.

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-img_20170326_113120.jpg

What works
The display shows s1-s5 when the gear selector is moved left, it clearly stays in a lower gear and never uses 6th, so SAT works just fine yay
Pressing the sport button displays "SPORT" and the steering is stiffer, rev matching etc - yay
Now for the paddles
When I push pull the paddle shifters I get the correct voltages (I believe) on pin 11 of the smaller connector side of the black connector, the one that leads off the the gearbox I presume, yay
"D" – between 3.7 V - 3.8 V
"Upshift" – between 2.4 V - 2.5 V
"Downshift" – between 1.2 V - 1.25 V

BUT, the paddles dont change gear - not yay - what did I miss ?
I think given that I had no errors when running SAT for a few weeks before the paddles were added, that I missed a code somewhere to say there were paddles.

References
E6x Sports Automatic Transmission Retrofit, Rev 1.0 April 2015
Old 04-18-2017, 07:33 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Make the paddles active

Originally Posted by mike100
Hi All

I had posted this to the bmw coding forum because I think it is a coding issue but no one there was able to help, sorry for the double posting but perhaps someone here has been in this situation of everything working but the gears dont change when the paddles are pulled or pushed.

I fitted the SAT gear lever and steering wheel with paddles from a 2009 535 e60 to a 2010 535 e61
NCS Expert: VO changed to $2TB
WinkKFP: EGS flashed the $2TB firmware

1) Install 1 wire on pin 12 of SZL connector (X1880) and run to ground
2) Install 1 wire on pin 13 of SZL connector (X1880) and run to connector X6031 in ebox to pin 11 (Fat BLUE in the picture)
Click image for larger version.

Attachment 151265

What works
The display shows s1-s5 when the gear selector is moved left, it clearly stays in a lower gear and never uses 6th, so SAT works just fine yay
Pressing the sport button displays "SPORT" and the steering is stiffer, rev matching etc - yay
Now for the paddles
When I push pull the paddle shifters I get the correct voltages (I believe) on pin 11 of the smaller connector side of the black connector, the one that leads off the the gearbox I presume, yay
"D" – between 3.7 V - 3.8 V
"Upshift" – between 2.4 V - 2.5 V
"Downshift" – between 1.2 V - 1.25 V

BUT, the paddles dont change gear - not yay - what did I miss ?
I think given that I had no errors when running SAT for a few weeks before the paddles were added, that I missed a code somewhere to say there were paddles.

References
E6x Sports Automatic Transmission Retrofit, Rev 1.0 April 2015
You need to code the paddles to active. Instructions for how are already posted early in this thread.

Last edited by GTYellowJacket; 04-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61

Thanks GTYellowJacket, yes I did eventually find the note that says how to change them active, but in doing so it did set the steering effort to normal with "sport mode button" pressed, go figure.

So the steering effort being easier is no issue, I was going to look up how to do that but perhaps not setting it all the way back to normal mode.

For those who have not done it, the SAT FLASH of the gearbox is completely worth doing as is adding the sport button via swapping in a sport gearshift. The paddles are fun and do occasionally genuinly help in daily driving, but SAT pretty much does what you need. Perhaps I will take this car to the track but unless I do I dont think the paddles will be used all that often in NJ
Old 04-20-2017, 08:56 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: e61 / KW V3 / JB4 / M5 Rear Sway / FDL Coded / SAT Retrofit w GKE flash / ER FMIC / BMS DCI
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by mike100
Thanks GTYellowJacket, yes I did eventually find the note that says how to change them active, but in doing so it did set the steering effort to normal with "sport mode button" pressed, go figure.

So the steering effort being easier is no issue, I was going to look up how to do that but perhaps not setting it all the way back to normal mode.

For those who have not done it, the SAT FLASH of the gearbox is completely worth doing as is adding the sport button via swapping in a sport gearshift. The paddles are fun and do occasionally genuinly help in daily driving, but SAT pretty much does what you need. Perhaps I will take this car to the track but unless I do I dont think the paddles will be used all that often in NJ
The paddles should be one coding setting and steering should be another. Paddles require only one variable to change.

For steering, I eventually settled on an intermediate steering setting and playing around with options and testing numerous combinations. Some made it so light the wheel almost turned by itself, and others really changed the steering weight very progressively with speed. But again, that should all be separate from the paddle function.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:39 AM
New Members

I have installed M5 cluster and steering wheel, everything works : oil t°, pull left = downshift, pull right = upshift, ... and no problem with my automatic sport transmission.

I have also brighter white leds for the tacho/speedo, and red leds for the display.
Really happy with the result.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

Have you tested cruise control? It looks like you have a pre-LCI cluster, which I don't think works properly with cruise control on LCI cars.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit