E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SOS Call System Failure easy fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i Sport
Default SOS Call System Failure easy fix

I recently had the dreaded symptoms of loosing the MPM Module. SOS Call System Failure, no iDrive screen, no audio, parking sensors inop, no navigation...even the screen was blank. I checked the battery, which was down to 263 CCA from the rated 850 it came with. An overnight charge only brought it up to 590 CCA. I replaced the battery, but that didn't bring the iDrive back online, plus I had an 8 amp drain. I looked under the spare tire and sure enough, 2 inches of water. I know where the water came from, but I thought it was a smaller amount when a cooler was tipped over in the trunk (I didn't know at the time that sensitive modules would be under the spare tire.) I didn't have a burning smell, all of the fuses were in perfect shape and the module itself didn't look melted like I'd seen online. Here's what I did, figuring that I had nothing to lose.

1. Dried the entire area completely.

2. Took the module apart and cleaned it thoroughly with aircraft grade electronics cleaning spray. This part took awhile, as it required multiple applications of cleaner and a lot of light elbow grease with a soft bristled brush. Be careful here, because if it's not already completely passed it, you will ruin it here.

3. Used a small drill bit at low speed and in reverse on the inside of the female end of the connection terminals. I used this to knock down the corrosion at the contact points. Be careful not to take metal with it, and to not go very deep as to damage the terminal housing or the wires.

4. Relocated the MPM and the PDC modules to the left side of the trunk behind the side cover. It was very easy to do this, as it only required removing some wire clips. Plenty of wire on this bundle for it to reach its new home.

Much to my surprise, when I fired the car up my screen jumped to life and all was well. It may be a matter of time before I have actual component failure...or it may never have another issue. Either way, I had nothing to lose and I saved myself a few hundred bucks! Hope this helps somebody else someday.