E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Snows vs. All-weather

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 545i w/Sport Package on order and the dealership has recommended I purchase a good winter tire and change-over every Fall/Spring...it's a pain but I wanted the goodies that the Sport Package delivered. Any thoughts on a great winter tire? Is there a difference between a snow tire and an all-weather tire?
thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Don't even consider an all-weather tire.

You need 4 snow tires and optionally, 4 rims to help simplify the changeover and protect your summer rims. Also, you can improve traction by going with a different size tire for winter.

Depending on where you live and how much snow you get, some different descisions could be made (but still a big no on the all-weather tires!)

Again, go the www.tirerack.com or call them to speak with a human and they'll give you the best advice.
Old 03-30-2004, 10:23 AM
Members

If you live in a place where you have real winters with snow and roads pwith packed snow you should aim for Michelin, Nokian or Continental high friction, soft rubber, scandinavian spec. tyres. Typically anything wider than 225's are not recommended. BMW sell in Sweden for the E60/61 225/50x16 sized winter tyres.
Volvo XC is provided with all-weather tyres as standard but they are useless.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Senior Members

I heard the MICHELIN Pilot Sport AS tires are very good. They have excellent reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...romCompare1=yes
Old 03-30-2004, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think it's clear that we need to establish where you live.

All season tires are going to compromise performance at both ends of the spectrum (summer and winter). If you want less than optimum performance in the summer and don't have much snow to deal with, then go all-season.

Here's a snippet from the Tire Rack's FAQ found by clicking here:

Won't All-Season Tires Work Just Fine?

By design, All-Season tires are a compromise intended to provide acceptable traits under a wide variety of conditions. However, that compromised goal prevents them from being a master of any one of them. The All-Season tire tread designs and compounds that are engineered to provide extended mileages and durability under the summer's sun are less effective in winter's freezing temperatures, and through snow and on ice. Specific winter tires deliver much better snow and ice performance than All-Season tires because their tread designs and tread compounds are engineered to master those conditions, while summer tires are engineered to deliver better handling in the rain and on dry roads. Why not have the best tires for each of the conditions you'll encounter?

Again, the best situation is a set of tires dedicated for summer and another set dedicated for winter.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:21 AM
Members

Rudy-
I agree with your comments and plan on buying a set of Michelin Alpin snow tires. I live in MA so we can get anywhere from 30 inches to 100+ inches of snow in a season. I believe that one of the issues with the all-season tire is the width is the same as the tires that come with the Sport Package...that's just to wide for driving in the snow. By the way...what tire does BMW put on the 545i Sport?
thanks
Old 03-31-2004, 08:16 AM
Members

For those who care to know BMW recommends the following snow tire for the 545i w/Sport Package...

Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3 DSST tires, measuring 225/50R17
mounted on a 17" alloy rim...see link below

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Winter+Sport+M3