E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Service engine soon light = vanos solenoid code

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

Service engine soon light came on so I took it to BMW. they told me it was throwing the codes for the vanos solenoids. Could the sprint booster be the cause of this??? I'm nervous because I dropped my car off and didn't realize it was going to be an engine issue. I would have removed my sb before I dropped it off. I'm assuming if they find it it will void my warranty for sure. What's the chances they will find it? Will the sb interfere with fixing the issue? I don't know much about this stuff... Help !!
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Contributors

Just passed by the dealership with my spare key and ninja'd my way across the parking lot avoiding cameras to turn off my SB and hide the wire. Now I can sleep ez!

But I still want to know if the SB could have caused this ( or added to it)
Anyone?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

SB shouldnt caused that at all... what year is your car and how many miles on them???

I had SB on whenever i went to the dealer no matter what... and they did not give me any issues with it when i brought there for engine lights..
Old 06-30-2010, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by monsterj34
SB shouldnt caused that at all... what year is your car and how many miles on them???

I had SB on whenever i went to the dealer no matter what... and they did not give me any issues with it when i brought there for engine lights..

Good to know... thanks i was worried.

2007 530i about 54k miles well serviced. just had the lifters replaced too about 6 months ago
Old 07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I had the solenoid go bad on my car with about 53k on the clock. I got the CEL and reduced power as symptoms. Luckily my CPO warranty covered it.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joebaggg
Good to know... thanks i was worried.

2007 530i about 54k miles well serviced. just had the lifters replaced too about 6 months ago

wow yours already went bad??

hmm i wonder if mine will go bad too since mine is only 5k miles more than yours with same year
Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Contributors

Got the car back replaced the solenoids and one other thing related to it. The car feels better then ever. All covered! Man he started talking about the crank shaft and all this other crap n I got real worried. When they did my lifters they had my car for 2 weeks and I swear the car hasn't been right since then. Hopefully the problems all fixed now. Thanks everyone
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by joebaggg
Got the car back replaced the solenoids and one other thing related to it. The car feels better then ever. All covered! Man he started talking about the crank shaft and all this other crap n I got real worried. When they did my lifters they had my car for 2 weeks and I swear the car hasn't been right since then. Hopefully the problems all fixed now. Thanks everyone
oh i guess you have CPO warrenty...

well did you take them 2 weeks ago for just lifter or something else?? if they checked engine part and did not find anything wrong and now it is ... then it is their fault...

if not call BMW NA and complain and they will cover it
Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 PM
Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34
oh i guess you have CPO warrenty...

well did you take them 2 weeks ago for just lifter or something else?? if they checked engine part and did not find anything wrong and now it is ... then it is their fault...

if not call BMW NA and complain and they will cover it
Hey. the service engine soon light came on for me as well and upon taking it to the dealer, they determined it to be VANOS solenoids sticking. They said my CPO did not cover it and charged me almost $800 to fix it. HOW CAN THIS NOT BE COVERED????? any insights or tips on how to proceed with this?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Members

Originally Posted by kold3d
Hey. the service engine soon light came on for me as well and upon taking it to the dealer, they determined it to be VANOS solenoids sticking. They said my CPO did not cover it and charged me almost $800 to fix it. HOW CAN THIS NOT BE COVERED????? any insights or tips on how to proceed with this?
After much running around, scowering, phone calls, and emails, BMW of riverside told me that it was covered in some service bulletin, which is why CPO warranty wouldn't show it. They admitted their fault in their billing and are giving me a refund. For those of you interested, here is the service bulletin that I found.... I think this was it:
Bulletin Number: SI-B-11-05-0
Bulletin Date: Mar 2009
Component Description:
37. ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
Summary:
BMW VEHICLE: VEHICLES MAY BE DIFFICULT TO START, RUN ROUGH AND HAVE THE SERVICE ENGINE SOON LAMP ILLUMINATED. THE VANOS SOLENOID VALVE IS JAMMED OR STICKING. ( NHTSA ITEM NUMBER - 10030117 )

Quick Reply: Service engine soon light = vanos solenoid code