E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SAT NAV RETROFIT advice needed for 2006 E61

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have brought a BMW 520d SE E61 56 plate (2006) but it has no sat nav. Do I just need the Satnav dvd module unit as I have heard all wiring is and antena is already fitted.

Any advise welcome
Old 07-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Audi A8 4.2TDI Previous rides: 2005 E61 530d, 20" Breyton reps, Eibach springs, M5 bumper/mirrors/MFSW 2000 Audi S6 Avant, 18" OZ, RS6 exhaust etc 1998 Audi A8 4,2Q, 19" RS4 wheels, Remus exhaust KW coilovers etc 1986 Audi 100CC, funky fresh steel rims w plastic covers, rubber lip on boot..... 1987 BMW 320i, 15" alloys + rubber lip on boot :) 1982 Opel Ascona 1,6DL, tinted windows and a big-ass subwoofer :P

Depends on what unit you're aiming for. I installed business nav last weekend and it's quite simple. Just replace the DVD unit, add an antenna, get some programming at BMW and you're done. Haven't done the programming yet but I'll have it done in a few weeks. DVD unit cost me 120 bucks on ebay, antenna + extension cable was another 60 bucks and quote for programming is ~300 but then I'll have some more functions coded at the same time like mp3/ipod & bluetooth.

If you're going for pro nav it's a different story and you'll need to relace a bunch of other stuff. Use search function for more info.

About the antenna, you should have a receiver in your shark fin but the problem there is that you need a cable from the shark fin to your DVD, which means you basically need to tear down the roof liner. I went for a more simple solution recommended by Vesil here on the forum so I got an antenna from an E39 which I placed where the center speaker normally goes. Much easier, totally stealth and nothing that blocks it. For more info on this, look for Vesil's thread.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Members

Does anyone have a model number for the SAT NAV DVD UNIT?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by wokingBigBoy' post='951977' date='Jul 23 2009, 05:22 PM
Does anyone have a model number for the SAT NAV DVD UNIT?

Try realoem.com for the part number.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:11 AM
Members

Will a profesional dvd/sat nav unit work with the smallier monitor or do you have to have the widescreen monitor? THanks
Old 08-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by wokingBigBoy' post='967335' date='Aug 6 2009, 08:11 AM
Will a profesional dvd/sat nav unit work with the smallier monitor or do you have to have the widescreen monitor? THanks
I brought the widescreen monitor now does this unit use the same wiring loom and idrive knob I want to make sure I have all the parts before attempting the fit. Please help :-)
Old 08-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Members

Hi Big boy,

You can use the wiring loom from CCC to Monitor. Except you may find that the termination at the monitor to be the other way round. So use a penknife to shave off the plastic guide and it will fit.

However, the screen is 8.8inch and thus when I plug the screen to my orginal NON_NAV audio cd player, the other part of the screen came out blank.

Idrive controller for yours should be the NON-feedback low controller. it will continue working until the Pro-NAV CCC is inserted. Then you will need to change out the controller with the HIGH version which will feedback stuffs to you when you scroll it.

If you want to buy it off ebay, ask the seller to turn the knob and it should be free spinning. There will not be any clicking sounds when you turn the controller if its not plugged in. Then you will know its a HIGH controller for Pro-NAV use.

My car is not prewired. And thus there is no Blue GPS aerial antenna hanging in the dash... I am sourcing for the cable now. Everything is else is working fine.

Enjoy!!!
Old 08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Members

Just to clarify - Does the pro idrive controller work with the same wiring loom as business?

Does anyone have a pro idrive contoller for sale?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Hilden' post='943110' date='Jul 15 2009, 04:16 PM
Depends on what unit you're aiming for. I installed business nav last weekend and it's quite simple. Just replace the DVD unit, add an antenna, get some programming at BMW and you're done. Haven't done the programming yet but I'll have it done in a few weeks. DVD unit cost me 120 bucks on ebay, antenna + extension cable was another 60 bucks and quote for programming is ~300 but then I'll have some more functions coded at the same time like mp3/ipod & bluetooth.

If you're going for pro nav it's a different story and you'll need to relace a bunch of other stuff. Use search function for more info.

About the antenna, you should have a receiver in your shark fin but the problem there is that you need a cable from the shark fin to your DVD, which means you basically need to tear down the roof liner. I went for a more simple solution recommended by Vesil here on the forum so I got an antenna from an E39 which I placed where the center speaker normally goes. Much easier, totally stealth and nothing that blocks it. For more info on this, look for Vesil's thread.

I'd really like to know more about what you did?

In order to get the DVD player to interface with the iDrive and the screen what type of tear down was required? Did you have to pull apart a lot of the dashboard?

What's the difference with business and pro NAV...I don't even think we have business NAV in North America?

Do you have the small or widescreen display in your car?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Members

Thumbs up

I have all the parts now, going to fit it in soon. The unit I have got is out a 2005 car mine is 2006. I have heard I just have to plug everything in and it will be fine without programming; is this true?

Got a quote to fit it in and it was ?1500 so im going to give it a crack myself :-)

Quick Reply: SAT NAV RETROFIT advice needed for 2006 E61