E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Safety Triangle

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Here's a simple solution to the missing safety triangle. I bought it at Pepboys. Fits perfectly and light weight.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Assembled view.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Nice idea. You might want to post the Pep Boys SKU number or some other positive identification on the exact model triangle you have.

For me, I prefer to use that little space for small things like some assorted fuses, some (individually wrapped) premoistened window cleaning towels, etc.

Storage space is at such a premium in this car that I'd rather risk not having a triangle than give up a little space to stash some stuff. I'm still on the fence about whether or not I'm going to remove the doughnut spare tire (have runflats) and get that neat little storage insert with the dividers that was shown in someone's (rollee, I think) posts earlier.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AFAIK having a triangle in your car is compulsory in Norway and many other European nations - it's definitely for a reason.

Imagine leaving your car along the highway in case of an emergency or some breakdown - how could on-coming traffic know that there's a parked car waiting along the road?

Clearly, the triangle adds to your security and to the security of others - much more than the space saver wheel would add to your security through aborption of force in case of being rear-ended

But.. of course.. if you don't plan on stopping along the road, you won't need it
That said, there's absolutely an infinte need for nifty storage compartments.

-paasan
Old 05-28-2004, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

I realize that a triangle is mandatory in other countries but over here in the good old US of A, even if all cars had it, our idiot drivers would never use them! As you probably know, you can get a driver's license over here as long as you can prove you're breathing. A fog-test on a mirror is pretty much all they look for!

I installed the extra reflectors (that you already have) on my car. In the unlikely event I would have to leave my car on the side of the road, I'll hope they are enough to warn oncoming drivers. Maybe that's another advantage to an Alpine White car -- that is unless I lived in Alaska!

I'm probably jinxing myself but I honestly can't remember ever being stranded somewhere with any of my BMW's, let alone being stranded in such a place where I needed to provide advanced warning of my disabled car. The only people over here that ever use triangles are tractor-trailer truckers. I think it's a requirement for them to carry triangles, flares, etc.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Contributors

Here in the UK, we have motorways but mostly smaller, more tortuous roads and a triangle is not just to save your car but save someone working on it, eg roadside assistance etc. Runflats have negated the need to change a wheel in the road though.

They are NOT compulsory in UK but BMW still supplies them.
Old 05-28-2004, 05:41 AM
Senior Members

When travelling at speeds above, say 60mph/100kmh, it's always very convenient to be warned in advance of any obstacles. The rear reflectors are unable to give such a warning in advance.

You never know when you might have to stop in case of an accident.

BTW.. Do you have to breathe? I doubt that! I've heard that everything required from you is the ability to conduct electricity

-paasan
Old 05-28-2004, 06:05 AM
Super Moderator

I clearly realize why a safety triangle is beneficial and improves safety. All I know is nobody over here ever uses them. I guess my logic is that since I've never, ever needed one personally and it's not really "standard behavior" to use them over here, I don't see the need to go out and get one for myself -- even though it would help in some rare situations. The extra storage space is way more useful to me. (I used the void in the toolbox of my E39's the same way.)

Also, I think it's one of those things where you say to yourself "Where do I draw the line?" If I get a triangle, maybe I should get three of them to give an earlier warning? Maybe I shoud get five? Should I also get some flares? How many? How about some orange cones? Maybe I should buy a collapsible sign and tripod that says something like "Warning, disabled vehicle ahead." Maybe I need a few of those signs counting down the distance to the disabled car. If I do that, I better stock a long tape measure so I can accurately place these signs.

Now, I have to say that of course I'm being ridiculous and of course I'm exaggerating so please don't take the above paragraph seriously!

Again, my point is simply that I clearly see why a triangle would help but I also realize that, at least here in the US, it's not too big of a deal to be without one!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

the difference is, typically, the size of the roads and the available shoulders -- NA is a little bigger and a little less crowded... so the roads have a little more room

that said, i'd still use the triangle... when you are whipping down the autobahn at 100mph+ it is nice to see that shape which immediately warns you -- little reflectors on your bumper will not do that
Old 05-28-2004, 07:18 AM
Contributors

I put some 'light Safety' sticks in my little area there. These are the sticks that you break and they glow green...

James

Quick Reply: Safety Triangle