E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

safety gateway module is out hep! 2004 545i

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default safety gateway module is out hep! 2004 545i

So took my car in at the dealer bc the airbag lights went on with the pass restraint malfunction, thought it could be the mat sensor, but unfortunately it was not.

The car is not under warranty anymore and the dealer quoted me after taxes and labor about $1500. I researched a little bit, and it seems like that the module is only available through bmw since its a bmw part only so there is no way around it, plus it would have to be coded and updated.

My question is if anyone knows a cheaper way to fix this and to get rid of the warning lights?
Old 08-09-2013, 08:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem.
There are a few things you can do or in this case what I had done.

Cheap/free way to "attempt" to fix this is by programming/coding. You need to have access to WINKFP or Progman software. You will need to program/update the SGM (Airbag) Module.

What this does is it overwrites the software on it, doing a hard reset. I had done this and the problem went away for months. At times it came back but I was able to erase it.

Recently I had a battery drainage problem and the SGM was the culprit of the issue, so I had no choice but to replace it. I paid ~$800 for the whole repair (myself.)

Option 2: Like I mentioned above, you buy the SGM module yourself (there are places selling it for 750-850 and not the crazy ~1500 that BMW is charging... ripoff. You purchase the module and replace it yourself. You then program it to your car using the tools I mentioned above (Progman or WINKFP/NCS Expert) and you are done.

If this is confusing to you as it was to me, visit the bmw coding forum, there are lots and lots of tutorials.

Hope this opens up some options for you. Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Members

I actually have all the programing software, just not comeplete sure how to use it, because i cannot seem to start up progman, i can use DIS no problem, but progman doesnt connect. I have to see what the issue is with that.

As far as the module i found one on ebay from sweden for $160. checked the part number and it comes off a euro spec car, but it will work on a USA one once programed.

as far is the first option since i have the tools, Can you email me or direct me into a tutorial of how to update the SGM module without going to the dealer? I might as well try that first since i have progman, I think i may even have WINKFP, ill have to check.

Thank you for the help!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Members

No Problem. I would advise you to stay away from purchasing a unit like this on Ebay because you never know what you will get. For example, the guy who is selling it might have a similar problem as you are having. Sure the module WORKS, but it is malfunctioning. I asked a seller about one module that he said was in good working condition and when he replied, he said that the car was in an accident with all airbags deployed... definitely something you want to avoid. Getting a used Module also requires you to re-write the VIN number which is just extra nonsense you need to deal with.

Purchase a blank module and code it, will save you a headache in the long run.

As far as a tutorial for using Progman.. it is pretty much self explanatory since it is user friendly due to it having a GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The procedure goes something along these lines:

1) Connect the cable to the car and usb/computer. (Make sure your car can connect to Progman, ie: it is properly set up) Launch PROGMAN and turn the key to the accessory position (one before engine start.)

2) Once Progman loads up, on the bottom you will see a button called (New Session).Click it.

3) Next Highlight the interface: OPS1, and on the bottom right a button "Continue" will pop up, click it.

4) Enter a description for this session, I use things like "TEST" or "BMW" etc.

5)Next on the right select your model. 5 Series followed by E60/E61.

6)It will load the Vehicle Order and determine it. (Takes anywhere from 2-5 min, so be patient)

7) Once it loads, on the top you will see oval buttons. Select the Load SW option.It will ask have control units been replaced? You answer NO. It starts to determine the control units.

8) next on the right you will see ALL control modules your car is equipped with. So you scroll down until you see the SGM module . Click it.

9) List of options appear on the right, you select PROGRAMMING. Followed by UPDATE SOFTWARE.

10) IT will say: Measurement plan is being determined. wait.

11) After it's done, it will show the plan. Look at the Old ECU part No and New ECU part no.Make sure they are either the same or the new one is newer (You don't want to downgrade of course) Hit accept.

12) It will say a measurement plan has been created and accepted it will take X amount of minutes. (Mine took about 5-8 in total) Not too lengthy. Hit accept. It will warn you to connect a charger, hit next/continue.(Make sure your battery can handle 5-10 minutes of ON time)

13) You will see a remaining time period /progress bar on top, it might not seem like it is doing anything, but DO NOT interfere, just sit there until it finishes.

14) After its done, it will show you results , ie: pass or fail etc. hit FINISH.

15) Done, you have updated/programmed your SGM Airbag Module, the light should be off. (If not off, program/update the ACSM module as well (they go in tandem with each other)

A side note: During the update process, you might get an extra error on the Idrive, I received a Cruise Control Malfunction and Traction Control Malfunction, your's might be different. It's okay. It will clear on its own after the update. If it DOES NOT clear, you have to manually clear it like any other code using INPA ( I hope you know how to do that. )

I hope this gives you some sort of Idea of where to go and helps you!

Good luck!

Last edited by bymer; 08-10-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Members

Thank you, i will try to connect progman this week sometime if i have time ( have to go to PA over the weekend, friend picking up a new 135i ) and let you know how it goes.

I really hope this gets it going again
Old 08-11-2014, 05:50 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW 525I E60 01/2004

Hi,

What error appeared on your dis when you had to replace the SGM?

On mine i'm experiencing battery drainage and it's appearing a PT-CAN communication fault and errors on cruise control as soon as i turn on the ignition!

If i take out the big fuse 7 on passenger fuse box it will sleep as a baby as expected in the 2min time.

There is no issue with the cruise control stalk itself, already tested and replaced that just to be sure, and it's everything ok.

Need to resolve this ASAP because now everytime i get out of the car, i have to take out the fuse 7 so that it kill my battery because it wont sleep. :/ I feel ridiculous doing this on a car like this

best regards
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 PM
Members

Mine comes up as failure to communicate with SGM or something along those lines. I think you have a different problem than me. I do get the battery drain issue but i also do have to replace my battery. To be honest considering how much it costs to fix it, i opted to just live with it for now. Airbags will still work so as long as i can keep living with the red lights than it doesnt phase me.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

Hello
If anyone want a SGM module PM me. I have one because i made a servotronic retrofit and i had to replace my module