E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RPI 530xi axle back exhaust drone + SOS Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, a couple of quick questions.

I know many people have installed this 530i exhaust without issue, and I'm certain the exhaust shop I took it to messed this up.

I am getting a TERRIBLE drone in the cabin, so much so that I have a thunderous headache from a 40 minute ride home. Can this be caused by the permatex not creating a leak proof gasket with the stock pipe? Also, the exhaust hung very low and the tech seems to have used hose clamps on the rubber hangers (tightening them with literally NO play) to bring the exhaust up....

To add insult to injury, now the SOS malfunction was just triggered, my guess is due to the vibration/LOUD ASS droning..

Any have any experience with similar issues? Is the hose clamps on the rubber hangers a good solution or just rigged? (the exhaust sits perfect now).

I called Eloy but he was gone for the day and won't be in until the morning. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1045589' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:16 PM
Hey everyone, a couple of quick questions.

I know many people have installed this 530i exhaust without issue, and I'm certain the exhaust shop I took it to messed this up.

I am getting a TERRIBLE drone in the cabin, so much so that I have a thunderous headache from a 40 minute ride home. Can this be caused by the permatex not creating a leak proof gasket with the stock pipe? Also, the exhaust hung very low and the tech seems to have used hose clamps on the rubber hangers (tightening them with literally NO play) to bring the exhaust up....

To add insult to injury, now the SOS malfunction was just triggered, my guess is due to the vibration/LOUD ASS droning..

Any have any experience with similar issues? Is the hose clamps on the rubber hangers a good solution or just rigged? (the exhaust sits perfect now).

I called Eloy but he was gone for the day and won't be in until the morning. Any feedback is appreciated.
I would try to find a better shop and get it installed properly. If you follow the directions EXACTLY as posted on the RPi site, the exhaust will sit flush and perfect. You need to cut the stock exhaust EXACTLY where they did in the directions on the RPi forum. I showed the tech in my shop the directions on his computer and my exhaust was exactly where it should be. Any drone you have will start to subside after 400-500 miles and be completely gone by 1000 miles. I had some drone with my 545i also, but as the exhaust gets "broken in" the drone goes away. No worries

If the sound is still too loud for you after that, RPi sells silencers that are very easy to install by yourself and only have a minimal effect on performance. 2WHP if I recall correctly.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Excellent krozi! You've nailed it right on the dot. The exhaust was not installed properly.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dbae1978' post='1045614' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:45 PM
Excellent krozi! You've nailed it right on the dot. The exhaust was not installed properly.

When you say not installed properly, do you mean that because the hangers were "rigged" I'm getting a bad resonance and it wasn't installed properly? The exhaust sits perfectly lengthwise.

Can a lack of a seal cause a bad exhaust drone? I've never dealt with this I have had numerous exhausts installed (albeit welded, not permatex connected to stock pipes).

Krozi, did your drone give you a bad headache too? This is just crazy, especially between 2-3k rpm at highway speeds, lol.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1045617' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:48 PM
When you say not installed properly, do you mean that because the hangers were "rigged" I'm getting a bad resonance and it wasn't installed properly? The exhaust sits perfectly lengthwise.

Can a lack of a seal cause a bad exhaust drone? I've never dealt with this I have had numerous exhausts installed (albeit welded, not permatex connected to stock pipes).

Krozi, did your drone give you a bad headache too? This is just crazy, especially between 2-3k rpm at highway speeds, lol.
I had a CRAZY headache the first few times I took it out for a spin

But it goes away 75% and you get used to it. After I took it off when I sold the car I even missed that "hint" of drone
My drone was at 1500-2000rpm. The harmonics on the I6 engines are different though so that might cause the drone to be at higher RPM's. But rest assured, it WILL go away.
The exhaust was most likely not cut at the right location. Did you check if all of the hangers were reconnected?

As far as I know, bad installation would not cause drone, but rather a whistle. Turn on the car and check if the clamp is leaking. If the clamp was installed tightly, it shouldn't leak at all and last for a REALLY long time.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1045621' date='Nov 2 2009, 06:56 PM
I had a CRAZY headache the first few times I took it out for a spin

But it goes away 75% and you get used to it. After I took it off when I sold the car I even missed that "hint" of drone
My drone was at 1500-2000rpm. The harmonics on the I6 engines are different though so that might cause the drone to be at higher RPM's. But rest assured, it WILL go away.
The exhaust was most likely not cut at the right location. Did you check if all of the hangers were reconnected?

As far as I know, bad installation would not cause drone, but rather a whistle. Turn on the car and check if the clamp is leaking. If the clamp was installed tightly, it shouldn't leak at all and last for a REALLY long time.
Lol, maybe it was just the rough day at work + the new drone harmonics that messed up my head.

The exhaust was cut spot on as per the guide, the problem lies with the rubber hangers themselves. The bottom part of the rubber hangers where the exhaust goes into makes it sit too low, like 2-3 inches. What the tech did was put the exhaust hangers into the "middle" of the hanger (its not a hole, more like a slit in the middle), and rigged it with standard hose clamps to raise the exhaust. After looking at the Pep Boys aftermarket hangers that RPI recommends, it looks like it should solve the problem with the hangers/exhaust position. Like I said before, the length is SPOT on.

As for the drone, I can only hope it needs to be broken in, lol. Thanks for the answers Krozi.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1045633' date='Nov 2 2009, 07:26 PM
Lol, maybe it was just the rough day at work + the new drone harmonics that messed up my head.

The exhaust was cut spot on as per the guide, the problem lies with the rubber hangers themselves. The bottom part of the rubber hangers where the exhaust goes into makes it sit too low, like 2-3 inches. What the tech did was put the exhaust hangers into the "middle" of the hanger (its not a hole, more like a slit in the middle), and rigged it with standard hose clamps to raise the exhaust. After looking at the Pep Boys aftermarket hangers that RPI recommends, it looks like it should solve the problem with the hangers/exhaust position. Like I said before, the length is SPOT on.

As for the drone, I can only hope it needs to be broken in, lol. Thanks for the answers Krozi.
No problem
Old 11-04-2009, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1045589

Can you email me a picture of the install? sales@raceprecision.com
I'll be able to tell you if its installed correctly or not. Also, see http://raceprecision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3

Originally Posted by NYC530XI' post='1045633' date='Nov 2 2009, 05:26 PM

Did they alter the exhaust hanger?
Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Hmm.. Good to know that there is actually drone in the cabin, even if 75% ends up settling out. I never knew that.

It is unfortunate but there are TONS of people in business that know nothing about their trade, and that sounds like your installer.