E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

reverse light LED

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse light LED

Anyone happy with their reverse light LEDs? Need some canbus error free ones.

I bought a set from iJDMTOY in the summer, one side would intermittently throw a malfunction error. Got it replaced working okay now it's winter time below 50F give or take it throws error any time it gets below 50F give or take.

Want to try a different brand.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:27 PM
Members

I thought using LED in our reverse light is a waste of time.

My understanding is the reverse light design in our cars is poor and doesn't provide much light to the rear (when viewed by the driver) when backing up. Using different bulbs doesn't improve the visibility and usually makes it worse.

LED bulbs may have a higher color temperature and look whiter than the standard incandescent bulb.
This gives the impression of being a stronger light WHEN LOOKING AT THE CAR FROM BEHIND!
This is why most LED sellers always show pictures of the car's reverse lights from outside and behind the car. If they posted pictures looking out the rear window from inside the car, the brightness or intensity of the light would show as being lower than the standard bulbs. In other words you see less with LED bulbs than with standard bulbs.

I've read when BMW engineers have been asked about the reverse lights, they state that the reverse light is intended to warn other drivers behind you. The reverse lights are not intended to illuminate the area behind the car. That's BMWs explanation.

This is all just my understanding from a lot of reading on this subject. I'm no expert. The reason I've read so much about this area is that I always have a hard time reversing at night because our cars put out so little light.

Not trying to TC or steal your thread.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: LCI M5 Alpine White III
Model Year: 2008
Engine: S85

I bought my led reverse light from ijdmtoys too, initial they throw a error code on the dash and immediately they replace with another models, definitely huge improve since I have 5% tint, can't see anything in the night when i back up with the stock bulbs, i do get the code when it's cold, but after i put the gear in reverse couple sec, the code will automatic clear. I don't think u can do anything but tapping a resistor or just code it out.
Old 12-13-2016, 12:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by acefuture
My understanding is the reverse light design in our cars is poor and doesn't provide much light to the rear (when viewed by the driver) when backing up. Using different bulbs doesn't improve the visibility and usually makes it worse.
That's why I got the one with 900 lumen output.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:43 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by acefuture
I thought using LED in our reverse light is a waste of time.

LED bulbs may have a higher color temperature and look whiter than the standard incandescent bulb.
This gives the impression of being a stronger light WHEN LOOKING AT THE CAR FROM BEHIND!
This is why most LED sellers always show pictures of the car's reverse lights from outside and behind the car. If they posted pictures looking out the rear window from inside the car, the brightness or intensity of the light would show as being lower than the standard bulbs. In other words you see less with LED bulbs than with standard bulbs.

I've read when BMW engineers have been asked about the reverse lights, they state that the reverse light is intended to warn other drivers behind you. The reverse lights are not intended to illuminate the area behind the car. That's BMWs explanation.

This is all just my understanding from a lot of reading on this subject. I'm no expert. The reason I've read so much about this area is that I always have a hard time reversing at night because our cars put out so little light.

Not trying to TC or steal your thread.
Wrong
Old 12-19-2016, 05:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by yiqiuc
I bought my led reverse light from ijdmtoys too, initial they throw a error code on the dash and immediately they replace with another models, definitely huge improve since I have 5% tint, can't see anything in the night when i back up with the stock bulbs, i do get the code when it's cold, but after i put the gear in reverse couple sec, the code will automatic clear. I don't think u can do anything but tapping a resistor or just code it out.
I have putco, and was in the same boat u was with stock bulb i have %5 all around and they made a big difference.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by dv8ed
Anyone happy with their reverse light LEDs? Need some canbus error free ones.

I bought a set from iJDMTOY in the summer, one side would intermittently throw a malfunction error. Got it replaced working okay now it's winter time below 50F give or take it throws error any time it gets below 50F give or take.

Want to try a different brand.
If u have a OBD i can code out errors for u.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:59 PM
Members

I'd really like to be able to see better at night when in reverse gear. Based on what you guys have said here maybe what I have read about LED not being good is wrong.

I have a 2008 528i that uses the 921 reverse bulb.

Which of these different design LED bulbs would provide the best illumination when backing up:

A) JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light
or
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

Bulb A has a top mounted lens (about 3X) sitting above two LED's that would point straight back in an E60 bulb holder. It also has two LED's on each side that face the reflector in the housing reflector. This bulb is advertised as having 950 lumens per bulb.

Bulb B has two top mounted LED's without a lens and six LED's on the two sides that face the reflectors. This bulb is advertised as having 1,000 lumens per bulb.

What do you guys think?
Is this like the bulbs you have in your cars.

Which bulb would be best?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2017, 08:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: e46 m3, e61 535 x drive touring
Model Year: 2005, 2009
Engine: n54, s54

sub, i have been looking for reverse led bulbs for my e61. They help visibility on my m3 at night.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: e60 528i
Model Year: 2010

Hi, I'm new on here. I as well am having the same problem on my e60 528i.Thanks.