E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replacement key

Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats
Model Year: '07-530i

'06 530i with out comfort access... How much does a replacement key cost and where is the best place to buy it.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fast
'06 530i with out comfort access... How much does a replacement key cost and where is the best place to buy it.
Thanks
dealer most likely give em your VIN number and it will need the key coded to the car... if its just for access the valet key may be an option...
Old 10-21-2010, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

I just got a "valet key" from the dealer for $50 as opposed to the full key fob which is close to $200. You need to give the dealer your VIN# and for some reason they also needed my registration. The valet key is a plastic key that works the doors and ignition so it will get you in and to the dealer in case you lock out or lose the other key. I was told that unless you use the regular key fob regularly it will die since it wont have a chance to recharge in the ignition... so you would have to go back and forth between keys or it would die and defeat the purpose.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Members

My Ride: White/Tan, Nav, comfort seats, sport steering wheels, sport suspension, active steering, rear window shades, rear shade, heated seats

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I just got a "valet key" from the dealer for $50 as opposed to the full key fob which is close to $200. You need to give the dealer your VIN# and for some reason they also needed my registration. The valet key is a plastic key that works the doors and ignition so it will get you in and to the dealer in case you lock out or lose the other key. I was told that unless you use the regular key fob regularly it will die since it wont have a chance to recharge in the ignition... so you would have to go back and forth between keys or it would die and defeat the purpose.
Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jay77
dealer most likely give em your VIN number and it will need the key coded to the car... if its just for access the valet key may be an option...
Thanks
Old 10-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by jaycal3
I just got a "valet key" from the dealer for $50 as opposed to the full key fob which is close to $200. You need to give the dealer your VIN# and for some reason they also needed my registration. <snip>
Pretty much the only ways to steal a BMW these days are to have the key or tow it away. In order to keep some slimeball from just getting a key made at your local friendly BMW dealer and driving off in your prized possession while you're picking up Rocky Road for the wife, the dealers require the VIN, the registration and your ID. This appears to be a BMW policy - when I went to buy a key for my new-to-me car, they ALL told me I needed to bring those things along.

Dirty little secret - I believe all new keys need to be coded to the car. I'm told you can't just get the key and start using it, your car needs to spend a little quality time in the service bay hooked up to the dealer's computer. This little gem will cost about another $100 beyond what you just spent on the key. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by twobeemers
Dirty little secret - I believe all new keys need to be coded to the car. I'm told you can't just get the key and start using it, your car needs to spend a little quality time in the service bay hooked up to the dealer's computer. This little gem will cost about another $100 beyond what you just spent on the key. Kinda sucks, if you ask me.
False. Whoever told you this is a wrong or a moron.

The new key fobs are coded by your own car.

What you do is you unlock your car using your existing key, grab a seat, put your existing key in the car and hold for a few seconds. Pop out the key, put the uncoded key into your car, and hold it in there for a few seconds, and the car will program it itself.

source: I have personally seen BMW dealership service people do this to code.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

Originally Posted by twobeemers
Negative... the price you pay (I think its about $175), is all inclusive - you get a key ready to be used since they use your VIN # for the correct cut. As for the programming, there is no extra charge for that. Nomis_nehc may be correct on the procedure but either way there is no additional charge. The dealers computer simply downloads all the service info from your key regarding your car. Your entire service record I believe is stored on the key.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i SA M-Sport Package

The key nor your vehicle does not need any contact with any software or computer. I ordered my replacement key, I picked it up SEALED in the bag, went out into the parking lot, did the little programing sequence and drove off. That's it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The member above just confirmed what I said.

The memory chip on these keys are write once, which is why they are non-refundable after it's coded -- and also why you can't just buy used fobs online and "reprogram" them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement key