E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RB Turbo outlets fit E60/61!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 07:02 PM
RCB
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535Xit
Default RB Turbo outlets fit E60/61!

I wanted to share a new part that I test fit for RB Turbo last week so everyone knows that we can add it to the list of things that will work on N54 E60/61.

I successfully completed the first test fitment last week. Ironically this was also the most challenging test fit given that it was in the tighter E60/61 X-Drive engine bay and also mating to a VRSF 7" IC that was never intended for the E60. I choose to go with the angled style outlet with a nicely machined 2.5" to 3" aluminum reducer. The goal was to get a direct shot into the intercooler and have the least connections possible.
My previous setup required a joiner pipe and multiple couplers to mate the IC to the factory E60 outlet pipe.
I had other work as well as mods awaiting install so we purposely planned the outlet test fit around that since I would have the subframe complete removed which gave a full 360 view of the fitment.
The first thing I noticed was that the aluminum water pipe that runs from between the turbos to the water pump is different for the E60 and the E90. The E60 water pipe has an increased rise, presumably due to the X-drive and DP configuration. This made clearance a bit tighter then it was on the RB TURBO E90 test car. It was a bit harder to get the front turbo leg matted up but in the end it fit with a ton of clearance from the manifold. The leg to the rear turbo was a piece of cake to install and positioned itself far away from the manifold and tight along the frame rail heat shield. There is some extra length where the two sections meet which was great forward thinking on Robs part. I just cut the pipe to the length the car asked for and had I nice tight fit.
On the intercooler side it was pretty easy to get the outlet to line up with the 3" Intercooler inlet with the use of the provided aluminum reducer. This made me happy since I was able to eliminate an extra connection that was messy but needed.
Next step was the heat shield and WG solenoid bracket. The heat shield fit great and looks great. It also adds a nice level of protection for the outlet to turbo interface.
With the WG solenoid bracket bolted up two things were quickly discovered. First is that the vacuum canisters and the RB solenoid bracket want to occupy the same real estate in the E60. Not an issue for me since my single vacuum canister is relocated to the firewall. So, if you plan to use the bracket on an E60 be prepare to relocate your vac canister/s.
Second was the wire length for the solenoids. Apparently the factory E60 WG solenoid bracket positions everything further back then on the E90 and the wires are also shorter because of this. Again not a huge deal. I just swapped the two electrical connections, the vacuum lines and everything fit.
Keep in mind that this all pertains to E60/61 and a VRSF 7" IC. With that said the outlets are on my car which is up and running at this point. I would consider this a pretty successful test fit with lots of challenging variables. Rob would have been happy to have had an even better fit along the water pipe but this is a test fit and anyone that deals with E60s knows that fitting parts designed around an E90 always comes with hurdles.
Now that I've covered the E60/61 fitment details I want to give a more general review on the parts themselves.
The outlet material and mold is what you would expect from RB Turbo, top quality and well thought out just like the inlets which IMHO are the best fitting stock location inlets for the N54. The transitions are smooth and free of slag.
The connections are all nicely machined, ribbed and anodized parts that are fitted tightly with oetiker clamps. The 1.5" turbo ends are going to work for everything from stock turbos to upgraded stock location turbos. They also have the most clearance I can see as being possible from the manifolds. In my situation the included 2.5"-3.0" reducer was a sweet little bonus.
The heat shield fits nice, looks nice and will function well to keep the silicone protected from the manifold heat.
The wastgate bracket is also a pretty sweet little bonus that adds some aesthetic bling to the engine bay.

Name:  A943BAD8-794C-4D37-8510-877636E09B9B.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  340.7 KB

Name:  059EA8FE-D8CD-4420-A349-A67BB7B0C585.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  321.3 KB

Name:  CDDD76C4-5256-4428-BCFA-4F3E664CA62B.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  253.3 KB
Old 10-25-2016, 04:57 AM
New Members

My Ride: e61
Model Year: 2010

Nice writeup, Chris!
How many hours went into the install.
I haven't been following Rob's development post, but wouldn't that long of a silicone run deflect under boost?
How did the DPs come out? You willing to make some more sets?
Old 10-25-2016, 02:02 PM
RCB
New Members

My Ride: E61 535Xit

Thanks man,

I can't say for sure because I was starting and stopping. I had to take pictures and notes for Rob then had to put the subframe in to see what the final fitment looked like. RB Turbo just ordered a factory E60 water pipe so they can see if they want to revise the outlets for the E60/61. So potentially the finally version that gets released to the masses may fit even better. I would say on the safe side it might be a half day job.

My DPs came out great and I just got some logs over the weekend so we will see how they perform soon. I considered the idea of offering to do them for others but it wouldn't be cost effective if I had to charge for it. I think the better option would be to modify the E60 VRSF DPs.