E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Questions regarding Software update using WinKFP

Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E61
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54
Default Questions regarding Software update using WinKFP

I am thinking of doing a software update on necessary modules via WinKFP and DCAN cable.

The first thing I did was to get the UIF information from INPA, then compare it with the Daten files I have using WinKFP. Here is where I have couple of questions.

For every module
Assembly Identification # == Hardware # --> no update available
Assebmly Identification # > Hardware # --> update available
Assembly Identification # < Hardware # --> what does this mean?

Also what does it mean if WinKFP cant find a ZUSB#? Specifically in my case it is not able to find 9262360
And my FAS and BFS modules have same ZB#, does that mean they are associated to the same module?

In the UIF output, for some modules, the VIN# is either unknown or 0, what does this mean? Is it communication errors or they were not programmed properly?

thanks
Old 02-13-2018, 04:15 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2007

Hi, I've been fighting with a DME for a while now. Maybe we can help eachother out. I updated and changed my VIN just today and it is pretty involved using WinKFP. I can do a GM in 20 minutes, but these BMWs are a test sometimes. Hehehe

Be sure you can connect and read everything with INPA first. Using INPA, you can get all the info you need to get started in WinKFP. I'm not sure what the latest ZUSB# is, but my Autel says 78xxxxx and I am currently at 7611551. I was mostly interested in changing the VIN from a used DME. My next project is mating it to my CAS to get the car started.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:07 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by 00goobs
Hi, I've been fighting with a DME for a while now. Maybe we can help eachother out. I updated and changed my VIN just today and it is pretty involved using WinKFP. I can do a GM in 20 minutes, but these BMWs are a test sometimes. Hehehe

Be sure you can connect and read everything with INPA first. Using INPA, you can get all the info you need to get started in WinKFP. I'm not sure what the latest ZUSB# is, but my Autel says 78xxxxx and I am currently at 7611551. I was mostly interested in changing the VIN from a used DME. My next project is mating it to my CAS to get the car started.
You are more involved than me, so I guess you have more experience than me with these softwares plyaing with actual car. I have been using INPA and NCSExpert to do some basic coding, but havent started using WinKFP yet. Thought I would check what updates I need to do before using it and I am still confused about different Assembly# and Hardware# combinations. I guess there should be only two combinations, either the same or >, but am confused about A#<H#

There are different version of daten files online, some say V4x and some say V6x, not sure which one is the latest one !huh!

Last edited by pavjayt; 02-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 11:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530d

Honest advice: If you don't know what you're doing (this includes: If you're not 100% sure what you're doing), don't do it.
You can easily fry an ECU.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by chris30o0
Honest advice: If you don't know what you're doing (this includes: If you're not 100% sure what you're doing), don't do it.
You can easily fry an ECU.
Thanks for your advice Chris, I am aware of the problems and have read many posts where people messed up their ECUs. But one has to start somewhere and for me would like to know most of it before trying to do anything. Still looking for answers for my questions though.