E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question... Car feels slower after exhaust install!!!! WTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004
Default Question... Car feels slower after exhaust install!!!! WTF

Installed and RPI exhaust today on my 545i, idk if its all in my head but the car feels slower after the install... Anyone else experience this? Or is there some type of explanation for it.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Engine: N62

I would give it time to adapt. Put some mileage on it and see if you notice any difference. I cannot speak to RPI, as I have a custom Magnaflow Quad Setup. Post back with an update and let us know how you make out.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20

Originally Posted by Hyper_545i
I would give it time to adapt. Put some mileage on it and see if you notice any difference. I cannot speak to RPI, as I have a custom Magnaflow Quad Setup. Post back with an update and let us know how you make out.
Yea that's what I figured. I think it might just be a mind thing for right now car sounds louder so my brain assumes it should be a rocket, lol... Ill post back in a week or two I drive about 300+ miles a week to and from work so that should be enough time. Did you feel a difference when you first installed your set up. I know RPI is a proven exhaust, so I'm not worried its just weird.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
New Members

My Ride: 650i 6sp
Model Year: 2008
Engine: 4.8l V8

Replacing a muffler on a car as large as well engineered and already as powerful as a 545i. You arent going to feel any 5-8 possible HP gain in a butt dyno. The assumption you would has is probably why it feels slower as you said above.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Yea that's what I figured. I think it might just be a mind thing for right now car sounds louder so my brain assumes it should be a rocket, lol... Ill post back in a week or two I drive about 300+ miles a week to and from work so that should be enough time. Did you feel a difference when you first installed your set up. I know RPI is a proven exhaust, so I'm not worried its just weird.
I can't say that I really felt anything at first. The horsepower gains are minimal and the butt dyno doesn't really register. After putting a few hundred miles however, I did feel the car came to life a lot earlier in the power bound, especially up top. Plus it sounds great!
Old 04-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Members

Aftermarket exhaust changes not only impact the maximum torque/HP, but can also move the power band/curve around. For instance, free flowing exhausts typically make their power later in the rpm range, which might be what is happening in your case. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is before and after dynos. As The_Sauce indicated, the "butt dyno" is pretty unreliable with low hp gains.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Though the RPI should provide a FEW more HP's, the main effect is the SOUND! I have one on my 550i, and it sounds AWESOME!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Contributors

Talking Looking for an effect you can FEEL

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Though the RPI should provide a FEW more HP's, the main effect is the SOUND! I have one on my 550i, and it sounds AWESOME!
I replaced the license plate lights on my e60 530xi with LEDs and played a Led Zeppelin CD real loud Dazed and Confused (Supershow 1969) Film | Led Zeppelin - Official Website ... immediately saw my 0-60 mph run drop to from 6.2 seconds to 3.5 seconds.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darkrider
Aftermarket exhaust changes not only impact the maximum torque/HP, but can also move the power band/curve around. For instance, free flowing exhausts typically make their power later in the rpm range, which might be what is happening in your case. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is before and after dynos. As The_Sauce indicated, the "butt dyno" is pretty unreliable with low hp gains.
Yea I actually noticed that today on my ride to work. I appreciate the input.

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Yea damn sure does its been raining last couple of days but when I first installed I couldn't drive without the window down. Lol.... That's for the response tho bro.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i Sport
Model Year: 2009
Engine: N54

My guess would be the power band moving up a little - shouldn't be a lot, but a few hundred rpm. I'd be surprised if you LOST peak power, or at least enough to worry about.

Main thing a catback will get you is the sound - it's a mistake to buy a cat-back for the horsepower benefit (on a modern NA vehicle), you will be disappointed every time.

Quick Reply: Question... Car feels slower after exhaust install!!!! WTF