E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quaife LSD vs. Dinan Diff

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

It has been discussed but i need further input. I know Miguex installed the LSD and absolutely loves it. A lot of you has also installed it and loved it. I am thinking of getting one but also debating on the Dinan diff. But the diff will get me short gear ratios = faster acceleration = high gas consumption. What do you guys think? And what's a reasonable price for install on a Quaife LSD?
Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
It has been discussed but i need further input. I know Miguex installed the LSD and absolutely loves it. A lot of you has also installed it and loved it. I am thinking of getting one but also debating on the Dinan diff. But the diff will get me short gear ratios = faster acceleration = high gas consumption. What do you guys think? And what's a reasonable price for install on a Quaife LSD?
The place I took my car charged me by the hour. It took them 6 hours to install the Quaife diff so I guess it all depends on your shop's hourly rate. Just make sure they dont keep your car longer than 6 hours... as for me I paid $115/hr so a total of $690 plus whatever the tax was. I hope this helps...

ps... it's definintely worth it. The car pulls so much better... no hesitation at all from the DSC and definitely no more one-wheel wonder. As for which diff to get, I have a heavy foot so I would shoot for the DINAN. The only I didn't get it is b/c they dont make a diff for automatics... GL in your choice!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

I don't know about DINAN diff.... Is there someone in this forum having that Dinan? I cant say which is better and I only have Quaife and love it. Total worthy! Bras! Get it and you will see it converts a beast.
As I remember: Parts $1450 + labour (4 hours) x $90 = $1910

Yes, depending of the shops... if they can go faster (only those who has experience) up to 4 hours than ones that never installed a LSD usually more of 6 hours.

For who live in Calgary, AB and want to install Quaife, I recommend Sheni Auto Trend (http://www.shenisautotrend.com). He is a truly BMW master mechanic and installed the LSD on my car.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

According in the Dinan website: http://www.dinancars.com/store/home.php?cat=705 they only have it for Manual/SMG transmission and not for auto.... The cost is $2400 the part only.
Quaife LSD is much cheaper and there is for auto.

IMO get Quaife.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by miguex
According in the Dinan website: http://www.dinancars.com/store/home.php?cat=705 they only have it for Manual/SMG transmission and not for auto.... The cost is $2400 the part only.
Quaife LSD is much cheaper and there is for auto.

IMO get Quaife.
I thought the Dinan wasn't an LSD and just a gear ratio change? The main reason to do this is for the LSD and the torque biasing system on the Quaife delivers that... Right? Or did I miss Dinan's specs?
Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I have a 6 speed. But I am already getting 12.8 mpg with my stock diff. With the Dinan, I'll be even more screwed. LOL. I am looking into the 520i to M5 conversion. Gotta see which way I want to go. I almost went for STS Turbo but nah......