E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Putting 20 Inch Rims (problem)-Flat tire notice?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was told by the dealership that if I put my Maya ex2 wheels 20-Inch on my car (2006-530i) that it would have a flat tire notice on my dash. Is this true? Do I really need a drop for it to look good? And if i drop the car which springs and which drop would be best on those wheels? Any ideas on this ?

Thanks!

Rims: http://mayawheels.com/maya/details.php?ima...132ce0ab017d5cf
Old 10-24-2006, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

The dealer is talking crap. Unless you have the TPM with pressure sensors in the valve stems, but even then it's a question of transferring the sensors and resetting the TPM monitor. On "older" cars without pressure sensors (or non-US cars of any age, I think), you don't need to do anything except resetting the TPM.

Cannot comment on the springs. Sorry.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='348364' date='Oct 24 2006, 08:27 AM
The dealer is talking crap. Unless you have the TPM with pressure sensors in the valve stems, but even then it's a question of transferring the sensors and resetting the TPM monitor. On "older" cars without pressure sensors (or non-US cars of any age, I think), you don't need to do anything except resetting the TPM.

Cannot comment on the springs. Sorry.

I am sorry its a 2006 530i, how do you reset the TPM?
Old 10-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

It is explained in the manual.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:09 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jtp1947' post='348389' date='Oct 24 2006, 09:53 AM
It is explained in the manual.

I just read it. So this will take care of the low-tire pressure/flat tire warning that I will get if i change my rims and lower the car?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fxdup5' post='348396' date='Oct 24 2006, 06:09 PM
I just read it. So this will take care of the low-tire pressure/flat tire warning that I will get if i change my rims and lower the car?
Lowering the car has nothing to do with TPM. If your car has the "old" TPM based on rotation speed only, then resetting it will take care of the problem.

The question is whether your car has trasmitters in the valves. It seems (see here) that US cars from March '06 have the trasmitters, so you'll need new sensors/valve stems (say $300 or so for 4 wheels)

A search for "valve stem" on this board will return a lot of info, including how to find if you have the "new" TPM, what to look for (not all wheels will fit with the valves) and other tips and tricks.

Good luck.

BTW - why do you want to lower the car? It's fine as it is, and it's a damn good compromise between ride, handling and grip - unless you want to go on a track?
Old 10-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='348401' date='Oct 24 2006, 10:25 AM
Lowering the car has nothing to do with TPM. If your car has the "old" TPM based on rotation speed only, then resetting it will take care of the problem.

The question is whether your car has trasmitters in the valves. It seems (see here) that US cars from March '06 have the trasmitters, so you'll need new sensors/valve stems (say $300 or so for 4 wheels)

A search for "valve stem" on this board will return a lot of info, including how to find if you have the "new" TPM, what to look for (not all wheels will fit with the valves) and other tips and tricks.

Good luck.

BTW - why do you want to lower the car? It's fine as it is, and it's a damn good compromise between ride, handling and grip - unless you want to go on a track?
Wow thanks for all the info!!!! I just checked and my car was built 05/05, from what it looks like to be in Germany. I looked behind the rotors to see if i see anything like a valve and I didnt. Does this mean my issue can be resolved using the reset on the TPM?

I am dropping it because I heard that if I put 20's on the car without dropping it, it wont look right? Also, do I need to recalibrate the system so the gauges will read right?

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

If you change the tyre/wheel size you may have to recalibrate speedo.

depends on the rolling diameter of the new wheel/tyre combo.

Have a look here to see the effect of different tyres etc.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Old 10-24-2006, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Fxdup5' post='348413' date='Oct 24 2006, 06:59 PM
Wow thanks for all the info!!!! I just checked and my car was built 05/05, from what it looks like to be in Germany. I looked behind the rotors to see if i see anything like a valve and I didnt. Does this mean my issue can be resolved using the reset on the TPM?

I am dropping it because I heard that if I put 20's on the car without dropping it, it wont look right? Also, do I need to recalibrate the system so the gauges will read right?

Thanks!
Most likely resetting the TPM will be enough. The trasmitters are located in the tyre valves, not on the rotors (brake discs), but with a build date of 05/05 you should be OK. I think the "transmitter" valve stems are metal. If yours are rubber, it's further confirmation. Any one of our US resident experts care to comment with a more informed view?

Before spending several hundreds - maybe even thousands - on springs, shocks, bushes and workmanship to lower the car, try the wheels on and see if you like it??? Also, reduced ride height will mean stiffer suspension. Good for roadholding and handling, bad for your bum. Which will already suffer from lower profile (hence stiffer) tyres on the 20". I'd try first, spend later.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

You should be able to reset the FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) through iDrive. I forgot which menu it's in. I had to do that to my car when I put on my wheels. By resetting, you're recalibrating the sensors to compensate for the different wheel/tire setup from stock.

As for lowering, do you have the sports package or not? Cars with the sports package will sit a bit lower so I also suggest putting on the wheels and seeing how things are before you go buy aftermarket springs/shocks. If you do get lowering springs, a lot of people here use either Eibach or H&R sports springs. Their race springs will be lower. There's also a chance your car may rub with the new wheels and being lowered so you may need to have a shop roll your fenders.

Quick Reply: Putting 20 Inch Rims (problem)-Flat tire notice?