Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help - 5Series.net - Forums

Go Back  5Series.net - Forums > E60 5 Series (2004 - 2010) > E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods
Reload this Page >

Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help

E60 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help

Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 AM
  #1  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 16
My Ride: car has 6 wheels
Model Year: 2002
Default Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help

Hello everyone.

I've been a e46 owner (on e46fanatics) for awhile now and amongst other things I have successfully retrofitted and coded bi-xenons with self leveling including the self leveling sensors and the harness to the LCM as my car originally came with Halogen headlights. Its been working perfectly. So I am aware of what it takes to do a retrofit.

Recently I became the proud owner of an E60 530i (2004-10 with the M54 engine) which came with factory xenon option (S522 Xenon Light) as such my car already has the self leveling etc.
However I have now obtained a set of Adaptive xenons that came from a E60 530i (2005-06 with the N52 engine). This car had (S524 Adaptive Headlights). The lights look identical but for the extra Adaptive module under the headlights in addition to the Xenon ballasts.

Upon replacing the headlights everything works without any errors just by plugging it into my car. However obviously the adaptive feature does not work. I have searched here and mostly everyone seems to have upgraded to LCI headlights which doesnt seem to answer my question. Which is, what do I need to do now to get the adaptive feature to work?

If there is anyone who has done exactly what I want to do, please chime in and give me a hand.

From reading a lot of threads here, I believe;
1) I might need a LM2 with the Dyn option. I can obtain the LM2 and anything else needed from the donor car that I got the Adaptive xenons off.
2) I might need to code my car's VO to include S524
3) code the LM2 from the donor to my VIN

Few more other mods in the works;
1. M5 paddle shift steering retrofit (already have the steering wheel). Did this on my e46 using an SMG wheel off an M3.
2. Rear parcel shelf sun blind retrofit (already have the blind and switch panel). Should be an easy retrofit.
3. Since my car has the MASK with the 6" screen and primitive navigation etc. I want to bring it to the 21st century. The only realistic option is to go for a E60 Dynavin N6. I do have access to an CCC unit from an LCI but the dynavin probably is a better option. Had a dynavin since 2009 in my e46 which has not missed a beat. The E60 will be even better as it keeps the original equipment so audio quality should be good.

I'd like to hear pros and cons from anyone who's done #3 too.

Hopefully I will put pics up when I start doing these mods. Happy to help others if they need any information.
Thanks heaps.

Last edited by fgin; 06-20-2017 at 02:20 AM.
fgin is offline  
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 AM
  #2  
Members
 
madein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 213
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default

It really depends what build is your car, the early 2005 model had extra unit for the adaptive headlights.
I can't remember when this changed, but you can have a look at the part number of your LM unit and check it.

If you have the early version, either installing the module or replacment of your LM would do.

I think you need to run few extra wires to the headlights including the CAN as the movements uses this.

Best way is to check on WDS for the wires.
madein is offline  
Old 06-21-2017, 01:02 AM
  #3  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 16
My Ride: car has 6 wheels
Model Year: 2002
Default

Originally Posted by madein View Post
It really depends what build is your car, the early 2005 model had extra unit for the adaptive headlights.
I can't remember when this changed, but you can have a look at the part number of your LM unit and check it.

If you have the early version, either installing the module or replacment of your LM would do.

I think you need to run few extra wires to the headlights including the CAN as the movements uses this.

Best way is to check on WDS for the wires.
Hey thanks for chiming in. My car is a 2004/10 build.
Is #5 in the following diagram this extra unit for adaptive lights you talk about? If so they are present on the new headlights I have fitted.



RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

In that case do you mean I only need the extra wires to get this working ?
Hope you can shed a bit more light. I will need to pull out the LM to see the part number. Does the LM need to change at all ?
fgin is offline  
Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 AM
  #4  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 16
My Ride: car has 6 wheels
Model Year: 2002
Default

Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Hey thanks for chiming in. My car is a 2004/10 build.
Is #5 in the following diagram this extra unit for adaptive lights you talk about? If so they are present on the new headlights I have fitted.



RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

In that case do you mean I only need the extra wires to get this working ?
Hope you can shed a bit more light. I will need to pull out the LM to see the part number. Does the LM need to change at all ?
Ok now I think i see what you mean after looking at the WDS.

upto 2005/03 cars with AHL should have a separate control module (61356934837) #8 on this diagram.

Assumption 1:
Since my car is 2004/10 I guess my LM would not support AHL without this control module

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Assumption 2:
for post 2005/03 till 2007/03 cars this module is integrated in the LM2 ? (e.g. For Left headlight via pins #38 (V_SMC_L) and #76 (LIN_ALC) on the X12 connector.)

I also realize now that the 4 pin connector (X10608) on the left headlight harness in my car should have 4 wires (yet to inspect) as opposed to 3 (confirmed by viewing) in the donor car (2005/06)

So based on the following diagrams I have got off WDS for the Left headlight for cars upto 2005/03 and 2005/03 till 2007/03 cars I need to;


1. I need to swap the LM from the donor car (2005/06), code it for my VIN if needed
2. move the following pins on the X12 connector on the LM2
(A.) disconnect pin #38 off the LCM and ground it
(B.) disconnect and move pin #59 over to pin #38
(C.) disconnect pin #76 and tuck it away and move pin #21 over to pin#76



Assumption 3:
The adaptive headlights on the old LM seems to be working fine. However considering the above wiring diagram the automatic Vertical aim should not be working (yet to confirm). I make this assumption because the 4 wires (X1034) that come off the LM does not seem to be what the adaptive headlight expects. Is it correct to assume that both the Vertical aim and AHL signals are both managed by the 3 wires (X10608) once I swap to the new donor LM?


Can you'll confirm if these assumptions are correct and that I am on the right track?

Thanks

Last edited by fgin; 06-21-2017 at 06:36 AM.
fgin is offline  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:49 PM
  #5  
Members
 
madein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 213
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default

Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Ok now I think i see what you mean after looking at the WDS.

upto 2005/03 cars with AHL should have a separate control module (61356934837) #8 on this diagram.

Assumption 1:
Since my car is 2004/10 I guess my LM would not support AHL without this control module

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Assumption 2:
for post 2005/03 till 2007/03 cars this module is integrated in the LM2 ? (e.g. For Left headlight via pins #38 (V_SMC_L) and #76 (LIN_ALC) on the X12 connector.)

I also realize now that the 4 pin connector (X10608) on the left headlight harness in my car should have 4 wires (yet to inspect) as opposed to 3 (confirmed by viewing) in the donor car (2005/06)

So based on the following diagrams I have got off WDS for the Left headlight for cars upto 2005/03 and 2005/03 till 2007/03 cars I need to;


1. I need to swap the LM from the donor car (2005/06), code it for my VIN if needed
2. move the following pins on the X12 connector on the LM2
(A.) disconnect pin #38 off the LCM and ground it
(B.) disconnect and move pin #59 over to pin #38
(C.) disconnect pin #76 and tuck it away and move pin #21 over to pin#76



Assumption 3:
The adaptive headlights on the old LM seems to be working fine. However considering the above wiring diagram the automatic Vertical aim should not be working (yet to confirm). I make this assumption because the 4 wires (X1034) that come off the LM does not seem to be what the adaptive headlight expects. Is it correct to assume that both the Vertical aim and AHL signals are both managed by the 3 wires (X10608) once I swap to the new donor LM?


Can you'll confirm if these assumptions are correct and that I am on the right track?

Thanks
If I remember this correctly:

Assumption 1:

Correct

Assumption 2:

cars from 2005 to 2007 are using LM1 module, after 2007 LM2 (you may just put incorrect wording)

you have now few options,

- keep your LM, install the AHL module, play with cables and VO, but you don't need to change the year of production

- get new LM (with AHL function) from donor car or somewhere else and play with cables and VO and you need to change the year of production

- get LM2 (with AHL function) and play with cables and VO also change the year of production

Let's assume, you are going with option 2 (get the donor car LM unit), I didn't see the points on the picture correctly as it is bit blurry, but it looks like you know what the issue is and how to deal with this.

Assumption 3:

I think this is correct, as the old lights didn't have the control module underneath.

so you may have been sending direct signal from old LM to the actuators on the headlights.

With the new configuration you incorporate the new control module, but you would need to use the CAN or LIN signal and the headlight control module does the work and provide signal to the actuators.

If you know what you doing it is easy job.

I went different road, as my car already had the AHL, but the AHL module failed and I went for the LCI lights and LM2 and than I have found a way for removing the AHL module whilst keeping the AHL functionality with the LM2
madein is offline  
Old 06-21-2017, 10:01 PM
  #6  
Members
 
madein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 213
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default

Originally Posted by fgin View Post
3. Since my car has the MASK with the 6" screen and primitive navigation etc. I want to bring it to the 21st century. The only realistic option is to go for a E60 Dynavin N6. I do have access to an CCC unit from an LCI but the dynavin probably is a better option. Had a dynavin since 2009 in my e46 which has not missed a beat. The E60 will be even better as it keeps the original equipment so audio quality should be good.

I'd like to hear pros and cons from anyone who's done #3 too.

Hopefully I will put pics up when I start doing these mods. Happy to help others if they need any information.
Thanks heaps.
I personally don't think the CCC is the 21st Century option, I had an Android unit in my E46 and it was much better option, than the CCC, so go for the Dynavin with no hesitation.

Audio quality really depends on the original option you have, although my E61 was well equipped, the music setup was just the basics, without the amplifier and not so good.

I have had the under seat speakers replaced (big improvement), but not really as my E46 setup with third party amplifier and speakers upgrade, but this is different story.

I think the BMW didn't invest as much money in the audio setup as they should for the price mark
madein is offline  
Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 AM
  #7  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 16
My Ride: car has 6 wheels
Model Year: 2002
Default

Originally Posted by madein View Post
If I remember this correctly:

Assumption 1:

Correct

Assumption 2:

cars from 2005 to 2007 are using LM1 module, after 2007 LM2 (you may just put incorrect wording)

you have now few options,

- keep your LM, install the AHL module, play with cables and VO, but you don't need to change the year of production

- get new LM (with AHL function) from donor car or somewhere else and play with cables and VO and you need to change the year of production

- get LM2 (with AHL function) and play with cables and VO also change the year of production

Let's assume, you are going with option 2 (get the donor car LM unit), I didn't see the points on the picture correctly as it is bit blurry, but it looks like you know what the issue is and how to deal with this.

Assumption 3:

I think this is correct, as the old lights didn't have the control module underneath.

so you may have been sending direct signal from old LM to the actuators on the headlights.

With the new configuration you incorporate the new control module, but you would need to use the CAN or LIN signal and the headlight control module does the work and provide signal to the actuators.

If you know what you doing it is easy job.

I went different road, as my car already had the AHL, but the AHL module failed and I went for the LCI lights and LM2 and than I have found a way for removing the AHL module whilst keeping the AHL functionality with the LM2
Originally Posted by madein View Post
I personally don't think the CCC is the 21st Century option, I had an Android unit in my E46 and it was much better option, than the CCC, so go for the Dynavin with no hesitation.

Audio quality really depends on the original option you have, although my E61 was well equipped, the music setup was just the basics, without the amplifier and not so good.

I have had the under seat speakers replaced (big improvement), but not really as my E46 setup with third party amplifier and speakers upgrade, but this is different story.

I think the BMW didn't invest as much money in the audio setup as they should for the price mark

Thanks for your detailed reply.
Ok, I am going with - get new LM (with AHL function) from donor car (manufactured 2006/05) and play with cables and VO and you need to change the year of production.

I will need to used NCS Expert to change the VO ? I think I read somewhere that VO needs to be changed on the CAS and LM (guess this is what I need http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf)

Whats the reason to change the year of production ? How/where do you do that ?
After reading this BMW Coding Forum
It seems like year of manufacture does not need to change?


Yes, I agree the CCC is probably sub-par. I will get the Dynavin N6. Do you have the dynavin in your car ? Which one ? N6? Let me know if there are any issues you see with it.

I have access to an e60 wreck that has the "S677 HiFi System Professional DSP" I see that the speakers are better looking units on this. Would it be worth looking at getting parts off it or just get some better speakers and upgrade? I am not after heavy bass or a loud system or anything.
fgin is offline  
Old 06-22-2017, 02:23 AM
  #8  
Members
 
madein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 213
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default

Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Thanks for your detailed reply.
Ok, I am going with - get new LM (with AHL function) from donor car (manufactured 2006/05) and play with cables and VO and you need to change the year of production.

I will need to used NCS Expert to change the VO ? I think I read somewhere that VO needs to be changed on the CAS and LM (guess this is what I need http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf)

Whats the reason to change the year of production ? How/where do you do that ?
After reading this BMW Coding Forum
It seems like year of manufacture does not need to change?


Yes, I agree the CCC is probably sub-par. I will get the Dynavin N6. Do you have the dynavin in your car ? Which one ? N6? Let me know if there are any issues you see with it.

I have access to an e60 wreck that has the "S677 HiFi System Professional DSP" I see that the speakers are better looking units on this. Would it be worth looking at getting parts off it or just get some better speakers and upgrade? I am not after heavy bass or a loud system or anything.
Yes, the VO is in CAS and LM, you have to change both of them and code the car to accept the changes.

The reason for the year change is simple, as your car is 04/10 it will look for the AHL module and if not find it, it would report this as fault.Once you have the later production (05/03 my ques) it would be looking just for the LM unit.

I have now E92 with CIC, I do remember friend of mine with Logic 7 in E60 was much better, I'm guessing anything owuld do better than the basic system, the question is, how much you want to spend on it.

Another thing to consider during the audio update is, if yours is basic HiFi system, you would need the whole wiring loop for it to work
madein is offline  
Old 06-22-2017, 02:26 AM
  #9  
Members
 
madein's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: London
Posts: 213
My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011
Default

Originally Posted by fgin View Post
Whats the reason to change the year of production ? How/where do you do that ?
After reading this BMW Coding Forum
It seems like year of manufacture does not need to change?
http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf)
on page 7 you see something like #0905, this is the date of the production

also this procedure doesn't say anything about coding the car (or modules) after the VO changes.

Simply say, when you change the LM module in the car and not change the VO and not code the LM unit, it still be as for bi xenon AHL, if you coded with your VO, it will be for your xenon lights.

You add the AHL to the VO and code and it will count with another 2 ECU's (under the lights) and report back as fault if the communication is not established)

Last edited by madein; 06-22-2017 at 02:38 AM.
madein is offline  
Old 06-22-2017, 03:10 AM
  #10  
Members
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Home
Posts: 16
My Ride: car has 6 wheels
Model Year: 2002
Default

Originally Posted by madein View Post
http://www.trevorloken.com/bmw/NCS_C..._Order_CAS.pdf)
on page 7 you see something like #0905, this is the date of the production

also this procedure doesn't say anything about coding the car (or modules) after the VO changes.

Simply say, when you change the LM module in the car and not change the VO and not code the LM unit, it still be as for bi xenon AHL, if you coded with your VO, it will be for your xenon lights.

You add the AHL to the VO and code and it will count with another 2 ECU's (under the lights) and report back as fault if the communication is not established)

the second link shows how to code after the VO changes. But I think you need to have an account to see it on the forum. I think I get that part now.

My new headlights I believe are bi-xenons. So the LM from the donor car (same as the bi-xenons donor) might just work without any coding or even VO changes as the VO on that LM will already have bi-xenons with AHL coded. Unless it throws some other error due to wrong VIN# or VO mis-match with CAS or something like that. The 2 cars are almost the same apart from the donor had bixenon AHLs instead of xenon non-AHL in my car. Also the donor has CCC and mine has MASK. Everything else is the same. What do you think ? need VO change and coding ?
If its not needed then all I need is to plug the donor LM and swap the wires on the LM as per diagram to send the correct signals to the AHL modules on the headlights.
fgin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.