E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-09/05 M5 mirror wiring diagrams

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm looking for wiring diagrams for pre 09/05 M5 mirrors (mirror wiring has three heads). I looked from BMW WDS (Wiring Diagram System - http://www.qclt.com:8080/ or http://wds.west.lv/) and could find all kinds of mirrors under "Complete vehicle->body->mirror" (including pre 09/05 mirrors). However, I was unable to find a wiring diagram for my M5 mirrors (looking at wire colors and wire heads). What am I missing here? Thanks.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Hi Tume,

i thought you were getting LCI mirrors? What happened?

If you have the pre 09/05 mirrors, you will struggle fitting them with the connectors you have on your car now. I think the best solution is to take out the motor from your current mirrors and to replace the current motor in the m5 mirror with it. this ensures you have no connector problems. I will be doing it like this - in a week when i have my mirrors, I will be able to give you more details..

cu rumman
Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Members

Hello again rsyed, yes I was planning to do exactly what you advised (to take current motors and put them to M5 mirrors) UNLESS I can get it work using the current cables. I ordered these pre-09/05 M5 mirrors, since I got them brand new, full functions with factory paint in ridiculous price. I took them to my local BMW service and they couldn't install it to my LCI model (suprise suprise, they can't do much else either).

Before you tell me it's impossible to fit these mirrors to an LCI model, I'm quite confident we can do it. Mirrors themselves haven't changed a bit, only wiring / heads have changed and same information still runs in these cables, we only have to figure out which function runs in which cable. In service they didn't even bother to look from diagrams from WDS or anything and still they got right mirror to tilt to right using my car mirror controls.. and they only tried to do this re-wiring for an hour or two, so.. We will try to install the mirrors this Saturday with my friend (who is an experienced electrician).
Old 04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Contributors

Hi Tume,

I am going your path - i will be getting a set of m5 mirrors from teh group buy but they will be post 09/05. Obviously they will not fit my lci car, and my plan was to switch the inner lives of the two mirrors. I really don't understand why thy change the cabling of mirror 3 times in 3 years???? T

But anyway, let me know how it goes on Saturday - appreciate any help

greetings

Rumman
Old 04-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Members

Will let you know how it worked out, but those diagrams would help a lot still.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:14 PM
Members

Some final tips would be appreciated
Old 04-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Members

Mirrors installed today (had to use the motors from the old ones just like I thought), everything OK!
Old 04-26-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributors

Hey Tume,

how long did it take you? was it a hassle to take the mirrors apart? did you take any pics?

let me know - i will be doing mine next weekend..

cu rumman
Old 04-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Members

Cool

Well it took like five hours since we had a lot to figure out in the beginning.. When we got driver side mirror working (with adjustments & heating) and door panel in place, passenger side was quickly done since we knew what to do. Mirrors were quite easy to take apart. Let me know if you face any problems.

The most annoying thing about the install (mentioned here in some thread before) was that M5 mirrors have three screw holes where they attach to the door.. those wholes don't have threads unfortunately, and if you try to put those torx screws on you will find that you won't get them straight and you have to apply so much force that it will only destroy the torx head. We used a special thread tool to do those threads along with some lubricating oil and it worked well.

Here is a little teaser which I took with my Nokia:

Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 AM
Contributors

Hey Tume,

thanks a lot for your info.

have a look at this pic - which part do we replace, no 7 or no 5?

tnx rumman

Pre-09/05 M5 mirror wiring diagrams-mirrorhousing.jpg

Quick Reply: Pre-09/05 M5 mirror wiring diagrams