5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Powerfold Mirrors issue (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/powerfold-mirrors-issue-148739/)

EthanMcF 07-26-2018 07:24 AM

Powerfold Mirrors issue

Hey,

I've been retrofitting power folding mirrors to my E61.

When i first bought the car, I ordered the mirrors, but it turned out, that they were the wrong ones. (Two plugs, Pre Lci)

Now, My car is pre lci, but was born sept 2005, So i don't have door modules.

So i got my hands on another pair, of the 3 pin ones from an LCI Model, I followed bloods guide,

Sorted the 3 pins on the drivers side.
Sorted the 3 pins on the passenger side, using the existing cables and doing the work at the module rather than door.
Coded the VO in both CAS and LMA,
and enabled the comfort closing and opening.
All this was done in NCS Expert.

These mirrors also have the LED Puddle light, which was also added to the VO.

I've also noticed that the mirror control panel does not move the mirrors.

Do i need the panel with the button to make this work?
Should the Puddling lights work regardless of the mirrors opening or closing?

As of right now, i have nothing, no movement, no powerfold and no LEDs.

I think thats about it.
I'm not too sure on where to go now, I've not yet added the cables for the auto dimming, but don't believe that makes a difference.

So to clarify a little (sorry)

E61 PRE LCI but Sept 2005, (55 plate), no Door modules.
3 Pin mirrors added, car had 4 wires.
Drivers side was a simple cut and swap wires.
Passenger side I de pinned the cabled in the KGM, Moved one to the correct location, moved the other to the fuse location, and the final one to ground.
Mirror control does not work in any way, but it's the old 'controller'

and i think thats it lol, So any help would be great! :D

I'm also new to NCSExpert, but i've clarified, and the VO options are 100% there, and the comfort aktiv setting is also there.

Thanks in advance :D

EthanMcF 07-26-2018 09:23 AM

So...

Further investigation, At first NCS wasn't saving the correct settings for comfort close and open on the KGM, i've sorted that, but still nothing.

So i don't a check with ISTA and i've got 2 fault codes, for no communication with LIN Bus for the both mirrors.

So i can only assume at this point that the wiring is wrong somewhere.

Will pull it all apart and check again.

EthanMcF 07-26-2018 11:12 PM

Checked with the multi meter last night,

Power is 12v both sides, Earth has been moved to the door ground point on both, but the Lin bus varies.

Drivers side is 11.6v whilst the Passenger side is 2.5v

So will remove the lin bus wires today, and check that they are all correct.

Two error codes still present for no comms to lin bus.

EthanMcF 07-27-2018 02:35 AM

So... update 4.

Re wired all of the passenger side, and it turned out, where the KGM pin is moved to position 14, the pin itself was damaged. The little metal tab, had recessed, and was being 'pushed' back out, when connected.

So i removed it, and fitted a new crimp and tail, and the passenger mirror works exactly as expected, including puddle lights!

So i know the Coding is also successful.

Now, I still have a no comms issue for the drivers side, Where the Lin Bus for drivers side goes to blue/white on the Window Switch Block.

I assume this is not the same wire that's use on the passenger side 'blue/white' to provide 12v to the passenger mirror.

So i will have to check wiring again for the drivers side, and if no luck, check continuity of the cables, and then if that all checks out, maybe use a different lin bus wire.

EthanMcF 07-27-2018 06:51 AM

Problem has been solved.

Thought i'd post the final conclusion for any one viewing this.

The Passenger side, Where the original wires were used, and simply re pinned from the KGM; The Pin 14 was slightly depressed, and was not making a decent connection.

The Pin was changed and all is fine, Error was removed, and all is fully functional.

Drivers side, I had 2 Blue/White cables, Turns out the wrong one was being used. When it was switched over, Fault was removed, and mirror become functional.

Both fold on the key fob, Puddle Lights work, and the mirror adjustments work from inside the car.

2 Cables will now be added from the Interior mirror to the KGM to enable the auto dimming functions.

And it just leaves me with programming the passenger mirror for 'Kerb Dipping'

So thanks for the help! Couldn't of done it without you! :thumbsup:

Bugs 05-09-2019 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by EthanMcF (Post 1596235)
Problem has been solved.

Thought i'd post the final conclusion for any one viewing this.

The Passenger side, Where the original wires were used, and simply re pinned from the KGM; The Pin 14 was slightly depressed, and was not making a decent connection.

The Pin was changed and all is fine, Error was removed, and all is fully functional.

Drivers side, I had 2 Blue/White cables, Turns out the wrong one was being used. When it was switched over, Fault was removed, and mirror become functional.

Both fold on the key fob, Puddle Lights work, and the mirror adjustments work from inside the car.

2 Cables will now be added from the Interior mirror to the KGM to enable the auto dimming functions.

And it just leaves me with programming the passenger mirror for 'Kerb Dipping'

So thanks for the help! Couldn't of done it without you! :thumbsup:

I’m in the middle of doing mine Pre lci 06 no module but got Pre lci module looms and mirrors wired but throwing up air bag issues so I will swop back to original looms and see about rewiring if any information that might help me would be great