E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Poll: Which color to powdercoat es1

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:03 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT
Default Poll: Which color to powdercoat es1

Greetings everyone,
Looking for opinions on color options. Finish is starting to chip in places and i'd like to get them refinished.

heres what ive been thinking..
Hardwear/wheel "rivets" will be done in Indianapolis red, Gloss - A31

1) Matte grey/ Gunmetal color

2)Gloss grey/Gunmetal color

3) Light grey matte

4) Metallic Black gloss

5) Color match
heres a few pics..
Name:  DSC_3291copy-1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  84.1 KB
Name:  DSC_3238.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  45.6 KB
Old 03-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

I'd vote for gloss gunmetal. I'm thinking about getting a set of 19" CF10's in gunmetal for the track.
Attached Thumbnails Poll: Which color to powdercoat es1-image.jpg  
Old 03-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Booyaazaa
I'd vote for gloss gunmetal. I'm thinking about getting a set of 19" CF10's in gunmetal for the track.
those are a nice color, however they look matte or semi gloss.
im not sure how a glosss color would look after seeing some use. if it would hide rock chips or make them stand out.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

How much is this going to cost you?
Old 03-09-2015, 10:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Bill109
Greetings everyone,
Looking for opinions on color options. Finish is starting to chip in places and i'd like to get them refinished.

heres what ive been thinking..
Hardwear/wheel "rivets" will be done in Indianapolis red, Gloss - A31

1) Matte grey/ Gunmetal color

2)Gloss grey/Gunmetal color

3) Light grey matte

4) Metallic Black gloss

5) Color match
Im a big fan of gloss black wheels on light cars hate any shade of grey on wheels but some people hate black wheels ya know... Curious are you PC'ing the whole wheel? or plan on leaving the lip? I tried to PC mine but ended up having to get them painted. Couldnt find a shop that would risk not touching the lip since its a 1 piece wheel. They all said either the whole thing or couldnt be done.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:35 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

those are a nice color, however they look matte or semi gloss.
im not sure how a glosss color would look after seeing some use. if it would hide rock chips or make them stand out.
With any dark wheel regardless of gloss, semi, or matte will have rock chips show up easily. However if the shop puts on a good layer of PC and then clears it a couple of layers it should hold up well. My current F14's have about 50k miles on them and they are finally starting to really show the rock chips. Anger reason why I'm looking at the CF10's to use while I get the F14's re-PC black gloss. Here's a better pic of the gun metal gloss. Think these will look sexy with my new gold stoptech bbk kit behind it.

Originally Posted by Boost7
We're you asking Bill or I or both?

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Im a big fan of gloss black wheels on light cars hate any shade of grey on wheels but some people hate black wheels ya know... Curious are you PC'ing the whole wheel? or plan on leaving the lip? I tried to PC mine but ended up having to get them painted. Couldnt find a shop that would risk not touching the lip since its a 1 piece wheel. They all said either the whole thing or couldnt be done.
Black Gloss is great but the gunmetal gloss I think looks great too.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Default Not to hijack Bill.

Oh here are the calipers I just had PC locally.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005

I was asking Bill
Old 03-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
Unfortunetley the lips are showing road rash and chips, so whole wheel.
i also already have gloss gunmetal m5 wheels, i run between "wheel season" and "winter season" haha.
in a perfect world these would be 2 piece wheels and i could matte the face and gloss the lip. ... however i believe they're one piece as well

With any dark wheel regardless of gloss, semi, or matte will have rock chips show up easily. However if the shop puts on a good layer of PC and then clears it a couple of layers it should hold up well. My current F14's have about 50k miles on them and they are finally starting to really show the rock chips. Anger reason why I'm looking at the CF10's to use while I get the F14's re-PC black gloss. Here's a better pic of the gun metal gloss. Think these will look sexy with my new gold stoptech bbk kit behind it.

We're you asking Bill or I or both?

Black Gloss is great but the gunmetal gloss I think looks great too.
these es'1s are not on for very long, run them maybe 3 months all year just for show season... Also, not sure how'd i feel about owning two sets of different wheels the same gloss grey gunmetal .

Originally Posted by Boost7
going to the shop on saturday morning. will let you know then. Car is also going into the shop for some work this week to get fresh bushings. hopefully it wont cost to much and wont set this project back.

Last edited by Bill109; 03-09-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Oh here are the calipers I just had PC locally.
See I bet thats going to look DOPE. There's plenty of cars I see n go thats smooth but I just wont go for the look. Those wheels and calipers are a crazy combo.I just like mean and stealthy feel like I cant loose.

Unfortunetley the lips are showing road rash and chips, so whole wheel.
i also already have gloss gunmetal m5 wheels, i run between "wheel season" and "winter season" haha.
in a perfect world these would be 2 piece wheels and i could matte the face and gloss the lip. ... however i believe they're one piece as well
I have the same wheels so I know what you're going through mine are less than a year old and I have a clear coat chip on 1 wheel not really noticeable to others yet. Wish I could just strip it and leave as is nothing but polished metal but thats the problems with a one peice I guess. I'll be powdercoating mine all black probably after this summer is over. Wish I had some 166's Im running my crappy 124's till this weather changes. As usual man share the pics whatever you choose.

Quick Reply: Poll: Which color to powdercoat es1