E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

I'm considering getting the Split Second Turbo Tuner. My 335i buddy's got one, and it became hell on wheels.

His TMAP sensor was located underneath the intake tube. I was looking for the equivalent on our e60's and came across this sensor. Is this our TMAP sensor? If not, what is it?
Attached Thumbnails Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?-img_0081a.jpg   Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?-img_0068.jpg   Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?-img_0078.jpg  
Old 04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not very familiar with TMAP but I'm guessing it's related to what BMW calls a "suction pressure sensor". If so, there are two of them on the N54 engine -- one is on the charge-air duct and one is on the intake air manifold.

The part you circled in your photo is the one on the intake manifold...

Below are two documents that will give you some basics on the two suction pressure sensors:

Intake air manifold version:
RA__Replacing_suction_pressure_sensor_on_intake_air_manifold__N54_.pdf
Charge-air duct version:
MST_RA__Replacing_suction_pressure_sensor_on_charge_air_duct__N54_.pdf
Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White/Black Dakota Leather/Bamboo Anthracite Wood Trim/Anthracite Headliner Premium and Sport Package Comfort Access/Navigation/HD Radio/iPod/Logic 7/SAT/PDC Sprintbooster Split Second Turbo Tuner BMC Air Filter

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='557730' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:32 PM
I'm not very familiar with TMAP but I'm guessing it's related to what BMW calls a "suction pressure sensor". If so, there are two of them on the N54 engine -- one is on the charge-air duct and one is on the intake air manifold.

The part you circled in your photo is the one on the intake manifold...

Below are two documents that will give you some basics on the two suction pressure sensors:

Intake air manifold version:
Attachment 47728
Charge-air duct version:
Attachment 47745
Thanks Rudy for the quick response. I looked at the .pdf for the Charge-air duct version, but it doesn't really show where its located exactly. Where exactly is the charge-air duct?

Also, any members have personal experience with the Split Second Turbo Tuner install on their e60's?
Old 04-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by owwo' post='557739' date='Apr 7 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks Rudy for the quick response. I looked at the .pdf for the Charge-air duct version, but it doesn't really show where its located exactly. Where exactly is the charge-air duct?

Also, any members have personal experience with the Split Second Turbo Tuner install on their e60's?
I'd love to know about this also... Looks like a nice, safe, quick and easy way to gain 40HP.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

The connector in your pic has three wires. Per the 335i install instructions, this is not the one ... it's the MAP sensor. The connector of interest has 4 wires and I'm assuming it's located several inches below the airbox on the drivers side rear as on a 335i install.

http://www.splitsec.com/products/instpdfs/...nerInstRevB.pdf
Old 04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by owwo' post='557739' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:39 PM

I've updated the document I posted above (the charge-air duct version.) I added links to the preliminary task of removing the suction filter housing with the hope that it will help you see where things are...
Old 04-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

Not sure were the tmap sensor is on the 535i. I know on the 135i it is located towards the bottom of the engine bay, as opposed to the 335i where it is at the top. With the 135i you have to remove the bottom aero-pan and the sensor is right there, actually easier to get to than the 335i, once you lower the aero-pan.

Just contact Eurobahn or Split Second, they can help out.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ObD' post='557757' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:03 PM
The connector in your pic has three wires. Per the 335i install instructions, this is not the one ... it's the MAP sensor. The connector of interest has 4 wires and I'm assuming it's located several inches below the airbox on the drivers side rear as on a 335i install.

http://www.splitsec.com/products/instpdfs/...nerInstRevB.pdf
That's correct...it has three wires and is not the TMAP sensor. I know that because I tried to plug my SSTT into it and it doesn't fit. The TMAP sensor is down and to the right of that sensor. It's very hard to get to. I could only get one hand down to where it is so I reached down with a screwdriver to raise the little tab with one hand, then at the same time used a pool que to push down on the wires that are connected to the TMAP sensor to release it. There was a little space to get the que through down to where the sensor was. Just dont drop your tools. I tied a string to one end of the screwdriver and tied it off to the hood.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by arcticT' post='558159' date='Apr 8 2008, 03:47 PM
That's correct...it has three wires and is not the TMAP sensor. I know that because I tried to plug my SSTT into it and it doesn't fit. The TMAP sensor is down and to the right of that sensor. It's very hard to get to. I could only get one hand down to where it is so I reached down with a screwdriver to raise the little tab with one hand, then at the same time used a pool que to push down on the wires that are connected to the TMAP sensor to release it. There was a little space to get the que through down to where the sensor was. Just dont drop your tools. I tied a string to one end of the screwdriver and tied it off to the hood.
I was told it was better to install the SSTT from the bottom on the 535i and that it was more difficult than the 335i. Thinking JB1 might be a more practical solution.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='558294' date='Apr 8 2008, 08:01 PM
I was told it was better to install the SSTT from the bottom on the 535i and that it was more difficult than the 335i. Thinking JB1 might be a more practical solution.
Sounds like the 135i. The 135i boys just lower the aero-pan and install the turbo tuner, without a jack. There is more room for your hand on the 135i, than on the 335i. I think its in the same area on the 535i.

Quick Reply: Pic of sensor underneath hood - SSTT install TMAP Sensor Location?