E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Orion V4 on my M5. With a subtle change.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
DK when your lights are off the rings kinda have a yellow tinge to them, do they or is it just the pics? the orion v2's dont have that.
It's yellow. Simon mentioned it. It's the phosphorus coating in the LED.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
DK when your lights are off the rings kinda have a yellow tinge to them, do they or is it just the pics? the orion v2's dont have that.
It does, it's just a lot more pronounced because in v4s it's twice the amount of LEDs.

I haven't had anyone done it, but I can probably apply my ring enhancement method to it, and just do the glazing part to minimize the yellow from showing.

Anyway, fantastic job DK, considering what you had to work. I had to install a set with the wrong sized ring too, but I did not commit to cutting the housing as much as you did. If you don't mind, maybe PM me of a picture up close with where you made the cuts on the bottom? Thankfully for that customer, he has gotten the 8x rings, and will be replacing the 9x rings.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Anyway, fantastic job DK, considering what you had to work. I had to install a set with the wrong sized ring too, but I did not commit to cutting the housing as much as you did. If you don't mind, maybe PM me of a picture up close with where you made the cuts on the bottom? Thankfully for that customer, he has gotten the 8x rings, and will be replacing the 9x rings.
Thanks. Didn't take any pics of where I cut. Pretty much trimmed the bottom until the ring sits in the pocket. Not worth the time and effort. If I had to do it again, I'd ask them to send me the 8x rings and send the 9x back.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Contributors

Yah, it definitely is stupid and unnecessary work. I had a guy that did not have the privilege to send me the rings in advance and had received the 9x. I ended up having to spend nearly 2 hours just grinding and sanding. I was not a happy camper.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Members

My Ride: Carbon Black 2008 550i, 20% Black Tint, Orion V4 Angel Eyes, HID (6000k) Fog Lights, RPI GT Exhaust, iPod integration Module, SAT

Looks good. The clarity during the day/sunlight is really worth that extra effort. Nice front plate as well!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Big Rob
Looks good. The clarity during the day/sunlight is really worth that extra effort. Nice front plate as well!
The effort fitting the 9x sized rings wasn't worth it. I prefer the 8x ring and just glue it in without modifying the shroud.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Contributors

Another set of headlights DK?

I just wrapped up another set of illuminated fin headlights yesterday, and the way it's done is slightly different than mine and the second set I have done... it looks soooo good!

And it's actually brighter than Orion v4s, lol.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:13 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Guys, we've been installing locally the 9X on a few cars because we do the trimming but no car with E60 LCI headlights from this day forward is getting the 9X, they are all getting 8X.

The Pre-LCI Xenon cars still get 9X unless otherwise requested.

DK - not sure which headlight you have. If you want to open them up again, we'll be happy to swap the 8X for you with the 9X you have free.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umnitza
Guys, we've been installing locally the 9X on a few cars because we do the trimming but no car with E60 LCI headlights from this day forward is getting the 9X, they are all getting 8X.

The Pre-LCI Xenon cars still get 9X unless otherwise requested.

DK - not sure which headlight you have. If you want to open them up again, we'll be happy to swap the 8X for you with the 9X you have free.
I appreciate it. But I'll leave it alone. I have another set of LCI that will I be installing Orion V4 too.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:07 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
I appreciate it. But I'll leave it alone. I have another set of LCI that will I be installing Orion V4 too.

We posted the link to this thread and photo on our facebook page, so you get more views/shares.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Orion V4 on my M5. With a subtle change.