E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opening up e60 headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 03:02 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 3.0d
Default Opening up e60 headlights?

Hi, as i had my e60 for couple of years now, i thought of upgrading my angel eyes. As i own a pre lci with halogen lights, the oem angel eyes are terrible so, after going through some research i made my decision to purchase the orion v4's. Yes they were expansive but from photos they looks pretty good!

Now is where the trouble begins, i have been doing research on various sites and forums but i cannot get a clear answer on how to open/cut the headlights in order for me to install the orions. I went to a fitter in west london where i live and he said that it CANNOT be done on all e60's I feel very disappointed that i couldn't find any useful info any anybody that fits them in london.

Any info will be greatly appreciated. Also if you know some one in london that do the fitting please let me know.

Thank you in advance!
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 AM
Administrator

Received 96 Likes on 92 Posts
My Ride: 530xi
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52
Default Very easy DIY job

There are actually a lot of threads about this on the forum, such as this. I'm not sure what you mean about "open/cut the headlights", but you do have to remove the headlight assembly, which is not hard.

Do a forum search for "headlight removal". I have a pre-LCI and replaced both of my angel eyes with LEDs in about 45 minutes.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:28 AM
New Members

Sorry, i should of made it clearer, i want to replace the actual angel eyes rings with the umnitza orions v4s. This will require removing the lens of the headlights which i dont know how to nor any one round me that dose it for the e60.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: 07 550i

I remember one of the vendor's have a PDF with instructions on where to cut to open up the headlights. Thinking it was Umnitza... You may want to check their site or shoot them an email.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:56 AM
New Members

Many thanks FaintReality, it is there! Never thought they will have this kind of instructions.

Heres the link:

https://www.umnitza.com/install/E60I...ationGuide.pdf
Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by CALIC
Many thanks FaintReality, it is there! Never thought they will have this kind of instructions.

Heres the link:

https://www.umnitza.com/install/E60I...ationGuide.pdf
What type of glue are you suppose to you to put it all back together? My guess is an epoxy type, but was curious what others have used. I think I will soon need to do this mod because of my current AE ring has some burn spots.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 AM
New Members

Am not sure what glue to use tbh, il probably pop down to my local fitter to seal it up for me.

Just a quick question for the guys who fitted the orionns v4's, i noticed that umnitza haven't sent me any extra wires for the dimming/DRL option? All i got is just the actual rings with a two white boxes. Is this option build in or somthing?
Old 06-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by jayarras
There are actually a lot of threads about this on the forum, such as this. I'm not sure what you mean about "open/cut the headlights", but you do have to remove the headlight assembly, which is not hard.

Do a forum search for "headlight removal". I have a pre-LCI and replaced both of my angel eyes with LEDs in about 45 minutes.
Ehh... what?

Dimming is via the white power box. The white wire is what you need to wire to dim. Nobody ever ask me to wire the dimmer though.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:05 AM
New Members

Thanks for the info nomis. You one of the reasons made me get the orions your headlights look fantastic! Great job
Old 06-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Members

My Ride: M3 ZCP EX:2005 BMW 535D Sport, Estate, Steptronic, Carbon Black, Black Dakota leather, Head up Display, Profi Satnav, Bluetooth - only MULF module, Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, Sportseats, Cruise control, Active steeringMods: 19
Model Year: 2011

Looks like there is still no way how to open them without cutting?

Quick Reply: Opening up e60 headlights?