E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OEM vs Sachs vs Bilstein Shocks/Struts

Old 03-30-2016, 01:27 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Default OEM vs Sachs vs Bilstein Shocks/Struts

I have a 08 535xi with 70k miles with H&R 29146 springs and OEM shocks/struts. The car is bouncy and suspension bottoms out easily. I was thinking of putting in stock springs and new shocks/struts but to possibly to save money I am thinking of saving the springs. I post questions on the springs but haven't gotten much response so I called H&R to see what their shock recommendation and they don't have one. They told me to called Turner Motorsports who said keep the springs and use stock (Sach) shocks or get stock springs with stock shocks.

I read the Sachs are the OEM manufacturer but are they the same specs? What about Bilsteins they have HD, Sport and OEM shocks/struts. Turner said the Sports are for lowered cars but the feedback they got is the ride horrible. I was wondering about the HD or the OEM ones only because they are cheaper and Bilsteins have a great reputation.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 PM
New Members

I'm thinking about a suspension refresh too and am in the same boat. I've been comparing OEM vs Sachs vs Bilstein B4/B6/B8 (TC, HD, Sport), and Stagg.

Stagg's are the cheapest by far (~$300/set), but have mixed reviews. Some people have had them for years with no problems while others report they blow easily. One report also said they were made in the same factory as Bilsteins.
Stagg 4 Struts Shocks BMW E60 525xi 528xi 530xi 535xi XI 04 05 06 07 08 to 10 | eBay

I found BimmerWorld to have the best price on the Bilstein B4 Touring Class (~$450/set), which are supposed to be similar to OEM. They also have the HDs and the Sports. I don't plan on lowering so the Sports are out.
Search Results

OEM will run ~$1200, so if I can get away with a cheaper but nearly equivalent option I'll be happy.

Options are limited for the xi's. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 03-31-2016, 08:16 PM
New Members

I've done some searching but couldn't find any feedback or experience from anyone shocks/struts except other models. I'm surprised with all those I see lowered and/or rims that there aren't more post on the shocks.

Originally Posted by InsipidMonkey
I'm thinking about a suspension refresh too and am in the same boat. I've been comparing OEM vs Sachs vs Bilstein B4/B6/B8 (TC, HD, Sport), and Stagg.

Stagg's are the cheapest by far (~$300/set), but have mixed reviews. Some people have had them for years with no problems while others report they blow easily. One report also said they were made in the same factory as Bilsteins.
Stagg 4 Struts Shocks BMW E60 525xi 528xi 530xi 535xi XI 04 05 06 07 08 to 10 | eBay

I found BimmerWorld to have the best price on the Bilstein B4 Touring Class (~$450/set), which are supposed to be similar to OEM. They also have the HDs and the Sports. I don't plan on lowering so the Sports are out.
Search Results

OEM will run ~$1200, so if I can get away with a cheaper but nearly equivalent option I'll be happy.

Options are limited for the xi's. Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 03-31-2016, 11:38 PM
New Members

My Ride: 5-series

The B4's are a bit stiffer than stock yet I prefer it over the Sachs' ride quality.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:59 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by andrewr
The B4's are a bit stiffer than stock yet I prefer it over the Sachs' ride quality.
Do you have the B4s now? How are they holding up?
Old 04-01-2016, 11:56 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Bilsteins. They are the best. I have a set of Bilstein sports on my E30 that are 20+ years old and still performing as new. I have Bilsteins and Eibachs on my E60, ride quality is as good or better than OEM.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:26 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1

Bilsteins are great. I had a couple of leaking original struts and switched over to B8 sport struts. I expected much of the mushiness to go away but never expected the huge improvement in handling that was the result. With the active sway bars handling was already very good, but now I can throw the car around with controlled precision.

For those of you in major cities with pot holes the size of Smart cars I would not recommend the B8s as you will knock the fillings out of your teeth. B4s (either regular travel or shorter travel sports if you have a sport suspension) would be a better choice. But here in Scottsdale with our glass-smooth roads (many rubber coated to reduce noise) the B8s are fantastic.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 PM
New Members

I finally got the body work done and drove the car after the tech said the shocks/struts were good. The car doesn't drive as bad as I originally thought I guess I have rough streets around my house. Taking it out on the city streets and highway I haven't had any issues yet but I do drive carefully around ruts.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:11 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've just put OEM spec Bilsteins in our Ford and they're really nice. Good quality and ride really well.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:02 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Hey Kyle B I have a 07 550i what number of bilstein are you running? I have the eibach springs and need to change out my shocks/struts.

Originally Posted by KyleB
Bilsteins. They are the best. I have a set of Bilstein sports on my E30 that are 20+ years old and still performing as new. I have Bilsteins and Eibachs on my E60, ride quality is as good or better than OEM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OEM vs Sachs vs Bilstein Shocks/Struts