E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OBD on iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

WOW! Awesome! Wish it was possible to make it into dials etc. Great job though!
Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by v_therussian
WOW! Awesome! Wish it was possible to make it into dials etc. Great job though!
I could get some simple bars and maybe a dial - something to shoot for after I get past taking some real OBD readings.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

miDrive v0.2

Been working on reading performance data. I had better luck with OBD so I am going with that for now but will get back to reading CAN. I will need it to be able to use the iDrive controller to change the menu options on the screen.

Below in the Debug menu the values are being read from the car and displayed on the iDrive screen.
It seems Oil temp and EGT is not supported on the standard OBD code by BMW. If anyone knows the PID that BMW uses please let me know.

ignore the "2" in the RPM reading and ignore the "1" in the boost reading
OBD on iDrive-midrive-debug1.jpg
Old 02-25-2012, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

Current Status of miDrive:

- I have some OBD performance data displaying on the iDrive screen but the really helpful values like EGT and oil temp do not seem to exist via OBD (at least I don't know where to look)
- I am able to control the menu selction for the "Normal", "Sport" and "Track" via the iDrive knob
- iDrive commands are on k_can and OBD is on pt_can (2 different networks). This means currently I can only do one or the other. 2 get the parts I need to be able to communicate with both networks at the same time will take another 4 weeks.
- Took a test drive today and had nice display of water temp and IAT - but couldn't change menus

This is how this is shaking out cost wise:

- Microcontroller: ~$30
- Video components: ~$20
- CAN bus components: ~$72 (for both networks)
- misc cables, adapters, etc: ~$10
- project box ~$8 - $15

The cost is getting up there with the price of professional units for performance data but I think the custom iDrive display is the real winner here.

- an RCA type video input must be available from an aftermarket video module like those used for DVD players and backup cameras.
OR
- I am working on enableing video input without a video module. If I can make the car think there is night vision installed, then a steering wheel button can be used to turn on "night-vision" but instead miDrive displays. This is how I am currently displaying video in the screenshots shown here (via the night vision interface).

- I anticipate I can provide pre-assembled units with a markup for ordering, assembly, firmware loading, testing, etc
- The software I am thinking turning into open source so we can have other developers here improve on the code and available features and have a continiuosly improving miDrive.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Senior Members

wow

any idea if this will work on pre-LCI cars?
Old 02-26-2012, 02:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mmitev
wow

any idea if this will work on pre-LCI cars?

OBD and CAN bus have been around for a while so it should work regardless of LCI vs non-LCI.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

If you can make it into a product that can be patched onto my iDrive, I'd be interested

And I think the costs are okay, considering the fact that you are integrating it completely into the OEM UI
Old 02-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Members

How did you select Night Vision as the source? Coding for NVE? Can you feed any composite video signal in? If so, I am thinking this may be a cheap way to add a secondary video input, like DVD or iPod.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:25 PM
Members

Originally Posted by constant
How did you select Night Vision as the source? Coding for NVE? Can you feed any composite video signal in? If so, I am thinking this may be a cheap way to add a secondary video input, like DVD or iPod.
I have seen night vision in CIC module when coding other stuff, but the fysical parts are missing. As far as I know, you will still need to find a RCA input on CIC to show images, I've only been able to find ?500+ priced modules...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
Contributors

Definitely interested in this. What language are you writing the app in?

Quick Reply: OBD on iDrive