E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Upgraded N52 HVA Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2006 530xi and experienced the same engine lifter ticking problem that has been discussed in this forum quite a bit. I first heard it about 2 months ago and took my car in for service right away. The mechanic at the dealership did the HVA bleed test and sent me home. Ofcourse, 2 days later the sound comes back so I take it back to have it rechecked. Not aware of the bleed process at that time, I was told that they were going to do a bleed test one more time and that should resolve the problem. I was getting frustrated w/ them so I started searching the forum and got some very helpful details on the cause and how the bleed process was a temperory fix so I go back to the dealership last week with good knowledge of the problem and after talking to the Service advisor, he acknoledges the problem and said he can look into what it takes to have the cylinder head changed. The PUMA was created and day later I get a call from him saying that the PUMA has stated to have the exhaust hydraulic valve lifters replaced (12 to be exact) I had that replaced last week and to my surprise, the sound comes back again. Not as pronounced as it was before the lifters were changed but still there. When I called him back couple of days back he tells me that the lifters shouldve fixed the problem because BMWNA upgraded the lifters design late July that addressed the ticking problem and that they have ha 100% success rate with this. I then emailed the shop foreman with the link to Diamonds N52 ticking post and following is his reply.
Do you guys think they are just giving me a run around or BMWNA will not replace Cylinder heads for the lifter ticking noise? Its hard to believe anything they are telling me at this point.
Please advise.

Hello, my name is X. I am the Shop Foreman here at BMW of X. After reviewing your recent email to X, I have spoken with our Regional Technical Engineer from BMW. The reason only the lifters were replaced instead of the head, was due to the lifters being updated. BMW has determined this will be the official repair for your concern. However, this update has just been released from BMW. Replacement of the cylinder head for lifter noise is no longer approved. PUMA had previously instructed only replacing the lifters on your vehicle as that is their current repair procedure.

I believe that you may in fact, be hearing lifter noise. However, we do need to verify this before a supplement can be made to the existing PUMA case for any further repairs concerning lifter noise. We will need to have the vehicle brought in so the noise can be demonstrated to me, or a member of our service team. So far, we have had a 100% success rate when it comes to replacing only the lifters (which the updated parts have been out for less than a month now). Either way, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if there are any other questions. I will have X notify me when your vehicle arrives so that I may verify this noise as well.

Thank you,
X