E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New E60; Beginner Mods and Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

Hello everyone,

I just bought my first BMW - E60 - 2009 535i x-drive; 38k; Black sapphire metallic; premium and cold weather packages.

Had a few questions - and before I get flamed - I searched the forums extensively first, but many of the links didnt work, and pictures werent great - and information was scatterred - so I figured I'd just ask.

I'd like to start with some basic mods before I delve into springs/rims, kits.

1) Interior LED lights: I like bright white, and dont like yellow. What Kit/bulbs does everyone recommend? Next, where is a good explanation of how to install them without ruining the settings? I'd mainly want to change the dome lights.

2) Black Shadowline Trim: My current car has some minor oxidation along chrome on both sides of the car. In the near future I'd like to replace them. Some people are recommending "plasti-diping", but I'm not a huge do-it-yourself-er and would rather just take parts out, and snap new ones in, instead of risking messing up the job. How much would the shadowline trim cost, where would I be able to get it, and how to install?

3) Angel Eyes: I think they look gorgeous, my car has Xenon/HID lamps, if hypothetically I wanted my mechanic to install white LED angel eyes, and just purchased the kit, how much would I be looking at (is it even possible?)? Also, I'm still under then 50k warranty, would that mod void anything?

4) Sound/MP3: I know theres a separate forum for this all together, but I just had a quick question - is there any way to play music via bluetooth? I've got my adapter/plug for my iphone, but would like to have the convenience of just having music stream via bluetooth.

Lastly - I'm in Montgomery County Maryland, so anyone else in the area have a good shop recommendation? I go to VOB BMW (Rockville BMW).

That's it for now. I really appreciate everyones feedback and understanding regarding my mechanical ineptitude. It's a work in progress.

New E60; Beginner Mods and Questions-side-shot.jpg
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 528XI

Welcome, I am a newbie as well. Nice car!

Few answers for you:

1) Interior LED lights: No comments. Although know eBay has kits all over to fit E60

2) Black Shadowline Trim: Try using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and see if that helps with someof the oxidation. Might be surprised what it can remove. Just make sure its damp when using.

3) Angel Eyes: I have '08 and will eventually be changing over to the "white" Angel Eyes. All of my research leads me back to the LUX Angel Eyes (member here) which may be pricy but look great.

4) Sound/MP3: From all of my research the E60 does not have ability to play music via bluetooth. Only via the aux jack which is oddly placed in the rear by vents.

Do some searching on this forum and you will fond some great info and people that have done some simple mods with great success.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Welcome to the forums!

Now repeat after me: J B 4

The best deal on LCI ('08-'10) Angel Eyes are from Umnitza. Check the thread under the Vendor Sales forum. The pics are accurate and I posted my experience with the install and impression with the product. These are plug-and-play and can be installed in 10 minutes by yourself.

There are some good vendors here who sell quality products. Take your time and do research, ask questions, and buy with confidence!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I agree with above: JB4 is a really good, and relatively cheap performance mod (~100 hp for around $500, that's cheap)
1) Interior light kit, I got mine from Trinity Autosport (member/vendor here - Nerweezy). I know there are tons of cheap kits on eBay, but I prefer to have a throat to choke - especially when it comes to the lighting/electronics on our cars

2) Shadowline trim - there have been many recent threads about PlastiDip, so that's an option, or you can also ask Trinity about getting OEM shadowline trim.

3) Angel Eyes - we have 2 fantastic vendors for those here: John@motorcepts and Trinity

4) Sound? Sorry, too many choices there.

Good luck and welcome to the forum
Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

I wish I could repeat after you too......, John vs trinity = biggie vs tupac. LOL east cost ,west coast beef. J/k
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

First off welcome to the forums and hope you get to enjoy your e60 as much as most of us do.

1) Interior LED lights: There are a couple vendors on here with kits put together (i believe John at motorcepts has one) the alternative is you can put a kit together yourself by buying LEDs individually (this is what I did with good results).

2) Black Shadowline Trim: I was also going to recommend plasti-dip its supposed to be pretty easy and 100% reversible if you screw up. I myself went and bought the oem replacement trims pieces before I knew of plasti-dip and had the dealer install them (sorry I can't remember the cost but as a Canadian I would have paid a lot more for mine then you guys would in the US)

3) Angel Eyes: there are a few options out there for angel eyes for you, be thankful you have a LCI e60 so the angel eyes options are much nicer. Do a bit of research both on this forum and on e90post to see what all the options are for you before making a decision. Prices will vary but keep in mind you generally get what you pay for. Dont' forget to check with John at motorcepts for this as well as Joe over at trinity.

4) Sound/MP3: I believe the answer to this is no, but I can't be 100% certain you may want to check with some of the coding experts on here like "blood" (I think thats his username)

Happy modding, you will start with these minor things now and before you know it you will be doing springs and rims in no time.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535i xDrive; Black Sapphire Metallic; Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navi, PDC, 20% Solargard Tint

Thanks for all the great responses, I've started PM-ing now.

About JB4 - how does it compare to the Dinan chipset/mod? The reason I'm asking is that the Dinan rep said it doesnt void the warranty, but other programs like JB4, do?

Thanks again.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

JB4 is tried and true, I wouldn't heistate to get one. Dinan is over priced and actually does void warranty, what actually happens is Dinan covers the warranty if BMW says no. The trouble is if you don't have a Dinan dealer near you how do you get anything covered? JB4 is untraceable and I don't really recal any stories of guys having warranty trouble after putting one in. Its plug and play and you can just remove it before going to the shop adn its untraceable. I bunch of guys at my dealer who drive bmw's actually have it installed on there vehicles.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Roy7
Thanks for all the great responses, I've started PM-ing now.

About JB4 - how does it compare to the Dinan chipset/mod? The reason I'm asking is that the Dinan rep said it doesnt void the warranty, but other programs like JB4, do?

Thanks again.
Also, the Dinan flash cannot be transferred to another car.

The JB4 has a stock bypass mode for use when getting service and it can be resold and used on another car. You can also purchase the special USB cable and download/update the software yourself for free.

The only thing that would make the JB4 better is if they sold a hardware bypass/passthrough module. This way you could physically remove the module in a few minutes (dealing with the wires can be a PITA). Any service tech who is in the know could easily detect a JB4 just by pressing the right steering wheel buttons.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Members

I'm in the same boat as roy7. This thread is very useful. I plan applying plastidip on the window trim in a few days

Quick Reply: New E60; Beginner Mods and Questions