E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New 535xi owner looking for some Diy mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 12:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09 535xi Touched by TURNER
Model Year: 2009
Engine: n54
Default New 535xi owner looking for some Diy mods

Hello all

LOVE my new 535xi my cockpit is beautiful..

I was looking for you guys to point me in the right directions on some things..

im looking for great DIY Mods.. like a exhaust vac mod..does it hurt my car..?
BOV or not to BOV..

adding a after market sub/amp and how to tell which version stereo i have..
where can i get those pins and what are they called

this "sport mode" mod im reading about ..yay or nay.. can i do it? it sounds like i want to do it.

swap bumpers... or... add splitters for a lil more aggressive yet adult look and how to tell what style bumper i have.

i have attached my specs and I'm open to suggestions on a bugget..

my first mod will be the sub

2nd wrapping the wood in 3d carbon from "SimCarbon" have you guys used them?

3rd "Coding" i want to take some time to see what i would want to change... then see what i can add. I'd like to here what you guys added if you dont mind..

4th wheels on a budget i dont want to mess with the suspension.

5th aerodynamics i like an agressive girl any thoughts

look forward to metting and chatting with you all.. THX
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MY 535ix.pdf (716.1 KB, 420 views)
Old 03-30-2015, 09:42 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008

I'll try to help since nobody replied yet.

Vacuum mod for exhaust.. yeah go do it.. doesn't do a thing to your car.

BOV.. sure.. actually I recently heard from a person finishing a BMW engine class that the stock BPV does cause some turbulence to the inner pcv valve and changing the airflow within is actually helpful. Although I'm not sure if it would have been on the top of my list.. that's the last mod I have done actually.

Aftermarket sub and version number.. don't know.. I haven't looked into that stuff myself. Don't really care about subs anymore.

Sport mode.. from all my reading it is not worth doing unless you get a transmission reflash and any of the SAT shifter or paddles. I'd normally look more into it, but I'm a family man now so I haven't bothered looking too hard.

If you tell us what year or a picture, we could tell you what model of car you had. If I had to guess from the picture I would say 2010 ..

Swapping bumpers etc I wouldn't exactly call a cheap mod.. but it's not crazy expensive especially if you're doing it yourself.

I haven't tried simCarbon, but have tried other 3m stuff.. it's not bad.. but I wouldn't mess up the nice wood interior at this point in my life. If it does it for you.. go for it

BMWhatsapp? I think that's the correct spelling.. would help you with most coding you're probably looking for.. that is if you have something you actually want to change. I didn't.. so I didn't get it.

I personally went with performance upgrade route.. so I did a JB4 and intakes etc. Some features in there were pretty handy.

Wheels.. your choice.. lots to read about. Xi fitment is the problem.. you need a larger offset. I just bought a set of 19" wheels with et33 offset.. going to stick with stock suspension since Xi models don't have any lowering kits that will match with struts. I've read too many bad things for me to bother until a good kit comes out.

I'm not sure if I like an agressive girl.... haha okay no grille's other than black colored ones or custom colored.

Who knows, I might drive down to the cape one day with my E60.. but I'd imagine I'll be in the family minvan instead
Old 03-30-2015, 02:24 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535xit
Model Year: 08

this "sport mode" mod im reading about ..yay or nay.. can i do it? it sounds like i want to do it.
-skip the Sport and get the SAT flash

3rd "Coding" i want to take some time to see what i would want to change... then see what i can add. I'd like to here what you guys added if you dont mind..
-ive done the following
Welcome lights in lights menu (needs LMA2), linked with WELCOME_LIGHT in LMA
Enable TV/video functions while driving
No legal notice on iDrive startup (US models)
Close windows via key FOB
Eject key fob after holding Stop Button, and unlock door(s) when linked w/ ER_KEYOUT_AUTOVR
Windows open with key fob but sunroof remains closed
Climate fan speed display via orange light around manual speed knob even in automatic climate mode
Digital speedometer in cluster
nicht_aktiv = True car speed in digital speedometer (removes the standard circa +5mph safety feature for radars)
nicht_aktiv = True car speed on analogue meter and HUD (removes the standard circa +5mph safety feature for radars)
Enable Pathway Lighting function on key fob (quick press on trunk release button)
Welcome lights function (needs LMA2), linked with VA_WELCOMELIGHT in CAPPL (WELCOMELIGHT in MASK)
Enable DRL (the same as on/off menu if available from iDrive)
Select the AE as the DRL (default to drl_h for US model), linked with DRL_TFL_SML_33
Enable the AE as the DRL after switching VERHALTEN_DRL_TFL_33 -> drl_s - (LM2)
Removes Weatherband from entertainment source selection
Welcome lights in lights menu (needs LMA2), linked with WELCOME_LIGHT in LMA
Creates a tone when PDC button pressed
With rain sensor on, close sunroof on wiper activation aktiv
With rain sensor on, close tilted sunroof on wiper activation aktiv

4th wheels on a budget i dont want to mess with the suspension.
-VMRs are cheap. I have 20in on my wagon
Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

Welcome. Lots of members helped me out when i first joined so here goes:

1) BOV or not to BOV...this alone will do nothing. Many guys who have bolt ons even run stock diverter valves without issues. I think this is more for the sound than anything.

2) adding a after market sub/amp and how to tell which version stereo i have...you have the 676A HiFi option which is good. You need to seek out a forum member on bimmerfest and buy his harness. This will be a plug and play amp swap once you get that. There are two amps that are BMW favorites, the JL Audio xd600/6 ot Match PP82DSP. I have the Match amp and it was a great upgrade.

Read this to get more info: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

3) where can i get those pins and what are they called this "sport mode" mod im reading about ..yay or nay.. can i do it? it sounds like i want to do it. - i recommend dropping $500 pn a used Cobb AP v2. It totally transforms the car.

4) swap bumpers... or... add splitters for a lil more aggressive yet adult look and how to tell what style bumper i have.- Personal taste

5) my first mod will be the sub - do it!!!!

2nd wrapping the wood in 3d carbon from "SimCarbon" have you guys used them? If you like it then go for it, personal taste

4th wheels on a budget i dont want to mess with the suspension. - VMR is a perfect wheel if on a budget. Check out the VMR 710. You have an AWD so your offsets should be between 30 and 52. If you live in the northeast do not go bigger than 18. Also, you can get 8.5 up front and 9.5 in rear, or go with a squared setup.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535xi

There is a way to make a BOV sound without installing anything. I have done this and put roughly 4k miles on it since. LOVE IT!!

Here's the DIY:
Jake Stumph's Racing Channel ? HOW TO: BMW N54 Engine - $2 Blow Off Valve Mod
Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Zero performance benefit and all of your oil blow by ends up on your engine. Not my cup of tea but it's your car.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:23 PM
New Members

My Ride: 09 535xi Touched by TURNER
Model Year: 2009

WOW YOU Guys Great tthanks Soooo much i have a lot to go over and think about..

so today on Good friday i took deliver of her @3pm and i didnt stop driving her untill 930pm
what a great Friday..

So im looking for an in-line converter for the sub i also want to keep the subs under the seats...
some some said i had the "good" stereo but idk... i thought it had an EQ i cant find it if it does.. also i cant use bluetooth to play audio??..

I DEF would like a lil more growl..
Is there any one on or close to the Cape that does coding for a great price?
Old 05-11-2018, 04:05 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 525I
Model Year: 2004

recently bought a2004 BMW 525i with only 115k miles on it, its in great condition both inside & outside, it does have minor issues I need to address[1st time BMW owner so I'm learning everything new] but I think most are from the age of car rather than any real problem or broken part. so its black with black leather & the darker brown wood grain, I was thinking about a few different upgrades myself,
1 I wanted to add the lights for the doors that display BMW or other logo on ground[ which I believe should be an easy install],
2 I have the split silver grills ATM but was thinking about dipping, or using palpable paint[only temporary to decide color for sure] & doing them a gold color
3 ordering the gold emblems for hood, trunk, rims, steering wheel
4 adding some kind of led strips inside car
4 I'm unsure about rims cuz my stock ones are not bad & they ride really well, if anything I would like to change color of them to a darker color
5 the old owners never actually took the car to BMW to get serviced mostly just to private shops so there was never any kind of software update or anything else that you could really only get done at bmw[idk if I am even correct about this I haven't looked into it yet am just assuming from the lil I have read] but I'm wondering if I should look into any kind of updates it may need or recalls that it might have had because it was made in 01/04 so it isn't a new car by any means but in was amazed by how low the miles were as well as the condition of the entire car.