E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New 528xi owner needs helps (sun sheds, Aerodynamic apron, iDrive lang

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 10:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a 528xi in Canada, can anyone help me out on the followings

- Where I can find custom sun sheds that perfectly fit rear side windows? I really wanted the factory Manual Side Sunshades, but it only comes with 550i in 2010 models, would I be able to find something very similar like that? Also, I would appreciate any comment or suggestion on rear back windows? Is the factory Rear Window Roller Blind accessory any good?

- I'm thinking to get the factory front Aerodynamic M-sport apron because I find 2010 front apron looks very plain compard to previous model (2007), does it look strange if I go with the M-sport front apron without lowing the suspension, the side skirts and rear apron? Does it improve or reduce the performance in any way just with the front apron?

- Is there any way for iDrive interface to display characters other than English? I have songs from iPod with different langurages, I guess I can live with French, German showing just English characters without accents thru the trouble of renaming them all only with English characters, but what can I do with Japenese, Korean or Chinese characters?

- Is there a way for iDrive to play movie files or DVDs? Can the factory player read DVD? Or if I have .mp4 or .mov files thru USB drive or iPhone, is there any way for iDrive screen to play movie files? Anyone knows the native resolution of the iDrive screen?

- Any comment on the fatory paint protection? Does it really last 5 years? How does it compared to produts such as Kasse, 5starshine, zaino, or simply waxing it regularly? Which way gives the best lasting shine?

- What's the recommended break-in speed and km for BMWs? Do people really wait for 25K km for the first oil change? Is it worth to pay for more frequent oil change?

Thanks,

YitaMinC
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: I have an 05 545i. It's a manual with a few options. This is my first BMW but I don't know how I'll ever be able to switch to something else.

Damn, that's a lot questions. Firstly, I would kindly direct you to the search bar as many of these questions have been answered before and in much greater detail, but I will attempt to answer some of them.

1) the rear window blinds IMO, are f*ckin awesome. I tried to get them on my car but I went for a sportier version than a luxury one. I don't know if you can't retrofit them, search it, maybe somebody has?

2) the M-Kit doesn't really affect performance, but it'll make your car look damn nicer with or without lowering springs.

3) Have no idea

4) Search this, there's alot out there on this topic. From the factory, no you can't play DVDs, but there have been hacks.

5) Paint protection, my specialty No, nothing last 5 years. Klasse is an awesome product, one of my favorites. If your just getting your car I would suggest putting down a good coat of Klasse AIO followed by some SG. That'll leave your finish well protected for months to come, note: only months NOT 5 years I suggest you look in the detailing sub-forum for any more answers in this, there's a lot of information there and we're more than welcome to answer your questions

6) Break-in speed and distance: i've never worried to much about the speed; just keep the RPM decent (dont redline it) for i'd say the first 5K miles and you should be good. I wouldn't wait that long for an oil change, I like to change it sooner than the BMW recommended, just for peace of mind. There's lots of DIY on here to show how to change your own oil, it's very easy.

Welcome to the forum
Old 08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Old 08-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

welcome and congrats on the purchase.

now to answer some of your questions;

1) I have the sunshades and I think they are great my daughter loves them for highway travel. The rear one imo is well worth it and works good, the side ones you might have a hard time finding if you really want them I may suggest the salvage yards I've never seen aftermarket ones.
2) Everyone on this board seems to like the m-tech kit, you might want to talk to our vendors if you want to save some money going with a replica rather then oem.
3) I don't think there is much you can do in terms of chinese characters.
4) you will need another module installed to make this work do a search and you will find many discussions on this, in short yes it is do-able
5) I got the factory paint and stain protection, not really because I think it works but because they will repair any rust or interior stain that may happen within that 5 year period. I still wax my car regularly.
6) I believe its don't take your rpm's over 3000 for the first 1000km's, and I belive the general concesus on oil change is if using the proper bmw LL apporved oil you are pretty safe if you change every twice as much as bmw says so every 12,000km rather than 25,000km.

Others may want to chime in if they disagree with me, but I hope that helps.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Members

Thanks for all the replies.

Just wanted to share with you that I was told by the dealer that they do have parts to install rear manual side sun sheds on 528i for ~$120 or so, I'm quite skeptical and I'm not sure how they are going to do that or how much labor would it cost. The dealer unfortunately doesn't know more details until the parts arrive, I'm planning to order the parts and see how it would work. I would be very excited if I can actually get original rear manual side sun sheds installed.
BTW, since I have 50% rear back tint, it actually turns out great and I might not need the Rear Window Roller Blind after all.

I'm currently struggling with my same Blackberry Pearl 8120 which never had any problem with my old 2007 525xi is not able to sync phone book with my new 528xi. The phone connects fine with Bluetooth, no issue in dailing or receiving calls, but the phone book keeps showing "transferring data" and it just gets stuck there and the phone book never got imported. I've confirmed my phone has latest firmware and I just don't know what else to try. It however has no problem importing phone book from my wife's iPhone 3GS when connected thru Bluetooth. Any idea? Thanks!!