E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need info on a manual shifter knob

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about this short/weighted black leather knob on ebay?

ebay shifter knob

I think I like it better than the perferated leather M-tech knob (which is the one shown on RealOEM.com). If possible I would like to find the part number so I can try to get it from BMW of Newport. Garry has been great about getting me prices and answering questions, but couldn't find this particular knob.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JPJ' post='348141' date='Oct 23 2006, 09:06 PM
Does anyone know anything about this short/weighted black leather knob on ebay?

ebay shifter knob

I think I like it better than the perferated leather M-tech knob (which is the one shown on RealOEM.com). If possible I would like to find the part number so I can try to get it from BMW of Newport. Garry has been great about getting me prices and answering questions, but couldn't find this particular knob.
That looks like the M Tech shift knob I have. But if this is an M3 knob then it also has the illuminated dial but this doesn't look like the M3 or M (Z4) knob. I'm going to guess that this just the M Tech knob.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:52 PM
JPJ
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='348145' date='Oct 23 2006, 09:14 PM
That looks like the M Tech shift knob I have. But if this is an M3 knob then it also has the illuminated dial but this doesn't look like the M3 or M (Z4) knob. I'm going to guess that this just the M Tech knob.
This one is not illuminated (wouldn't mind if it was though). The M Tech knob I have generally seen has more of an angle on the front where the emblem is located and has the perferated rather than smooth leather. If yours if more like the one on ebay and you have a part number for it please let me know (or which ///M vehicle it would have been offered on).

I like the looks of this one, so will probably just buy it off ebay. I think a shorter knob will work well with the height of the console.

Does anyone else really dislike the stock manual knob? Mine has sharp edges where the metal meets the leather -- it started bothering me so much I am currently using a matte chrome and black leather knob with a 5-spd pattern I used on my previous e46. Besides the cheap feel of the poor fit between the metal and leather, it just doesn't fit my hand very well.