E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Need help - Taillights not working after coding

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 01:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - Taillights not working after coding

So I sent my taillights to Simon (Boss Cat) about a year ago to be modded. He tinted the taillights for me and did the white out blinker mod - I absolutely love them. He also added coding to the taillights which he called "Bruce Miranda like mod", which apparently gives you the Bruce Cables brake effect without any cables, only modding.

I have known for a while, but the brake lights don't do the mod like they are supposed to. The taillights illuminate, but when the brake is pressed they don't become brighter or even work like they are supposed to. The only light that works (thank god) is my back window taillight, so that is the only way people can see I'm stopping/slowing down. I also have been getting a "reverse light" error for both sides ever since the reinstallation. I don't know if these are related.

I have tried contacting Simon with no reply, letting him know that I don't want to get pulled over! Does anyone know how I can fix this? I was hoping the easiest solution is that I could find someone selling a pair of Bruce Miranda brake light cables for the brake light effect, and they would override the coding done by Simon, and then they would work again. I really need to get this fixed soon and I pretty much avoid my dealership at all costs so they won't void my warranty (Which includes electronics) for something so minute.

Please help!! Thank you!!
Old 06-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

It sounds like you have loose soldering joins. Check all the soldered joins.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM
New Members

What joints would I check? I didn't think there would have been any soldering going on since he said he was just going to code them. And they were just painted, so no soldering there. I will check all the joints for loose connections when I get home. Thanks!
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

If Simon did the job for you, then you need to take out the bulb holders, and check all the soldering joins that he did. To be sure, re-soldering them all. If the soldering joins was not properly prep, they can get loose in time like the one that I saw on JR's tail lights that were done by Simon.