E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Navigation System Retrofit Done w/o Programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 04:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your VIN and run by your dealer to check out. Some member here has the sheet under spare tire with all option on car listed.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:27 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 and F10

nice job!!!
Old 06-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Harry' post='298422' date='Jun 16 2006, 07:48 AM
For those who doesent have this ua option, we need a idrive controller high, an adapter cable from mask to cccc and a new microphone with wireing.
That?s what I?ve found out for retrofit navi ccc and having mask before.

If the car has this ua perparation like above only ccc and 8,8 moni are needed.

Nice job indeed!

P.S. I?m looking forward the nightvision retrofit, then I also have to retrofit nav pro I guess.
I dont think, the guys at bmw do retrofit the nightvision using my e60 interface although it should work.
Harry: I have a US E60 11/2003 build. The dealers will not add navigation because I don't have the nav prep. You mean if I can buy parts to do it myself?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Harry' post='298422' date='Jun 16 2006, 07:48 AM
For those who doesent have this ua option, we need a idrive controller high, an adapter cable from mask to cccc and a new microphone with wireing.
That?s what I?ve found out for retrofit navi ccc and having mask before.

If the car has this ua perparation like above only ccc and 8,8 moni are needed.

Nice job indeed!

P.S. I?m looking forward the nightvision retrofit, then I also have to retrofit nav pro I guess.
I dont think, the guys at bmw do retrofit the nightvision using my e60 interface although it should work.
I guess nightvision parts alone would cost more than $2000. Dealer would charge at least 3 hours for the job.
For front camera installation, dealer charge 3 hours of labor as stated in BMW ETK.
That might be too much.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:00 AM
Contributors

Added Navigation Professional as an DIY upgrade from Navi Business last weekend. Got used parts from Ebay for 1000 EUR.

It took me the most time to exchange the I-Drive controller. Doing the job, I was thinking of leaving the old one as it is because I could not recognize any difference from looking at the two controllers. The only thing was, that the old controller had a different feeling in turning it. While the professional controller has no resistance, the Navi Business controller has a clicking feeling while turning it. But after the installation I realized that the new controller has a force feedback system and also simulates the clicking of the old one. Concluding, I don?t know if Navi Professional would work with the old controller, but I am glad that I continued the exchange due to the new force feedback feature.

My dealer did the programming up front and after installation as recommended by BMW. Cost were at 240 EUR including the new front panel I needed (I guess about 25 EUR part costs). Only weird thing is, that they got an error message during reprogramming saying "Bedienoberflaeche ist nicht zu programmieren" which might be something like "User interface not programmable" in English. They don't know what the effect is. However, everything works fine, except MP3 playback. Does anybody here know the effects of this error message during the programming job? Dealer told me that this was the last message his computer gave him.

Harry gave a good list what parts are needed. During my upgrade, I additional experienced a missing three-pin fan cable. However I made it myself as I did the job on a Sunday?

I did not do the extra wiring for the microphone so far. Reason is that I assumed with a working TCU (Bluetooth phone kit) it?ll work with the existing microphone. However, it does not. Guess I need to do the extra wiring next weekend with the original BMW parts. Does anybody have an EBA for that? Can I use my existing mic of the wireless kit and just do the wiring?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d SE, Black Dakota, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='300210' date='Jun 20 2006, 01:00 PM
I did not do the extra wiring for the microphone so far. Reason is that I assumed with a working TCU (Bluetooth phone kit) it?ll work with the existing microphone. However, it does not. Guess I need to do the extra wiring next weekend with the original BMW parts. Does anybody have an EBA for that? Can I use my existing mic of the wireless kit and just do the wiring?
Could you please post a list of the parts that you had to purchase to install this yourself? Assuming that the car already has Nav Prep, what else is needed?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Hi,

All you need is this part number:
65-90-0-390-844

Best Regards
Old 06-29-2006, 12:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Dirk' post='300210' date='Jun 20 2006, 01:00 PM
Has anyone in the UK installed this?
Old 06-29-2006, 02:37 PM
Members

Originally Posted by my530i' post='304026' date='Jun 27 2006, 07:47 PM
Hi,

All you need is this part number:
65-90-0-390-844

Best Regards
I take it then that this won't suffice (it seems to be the right thing but the part number quoted differs)?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-E60-E62-E65-MK4-DVD-Navi-Navigation_W0QQitemZ140002363716QQihZ004QQcategoryZ10374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
If I have a 6.5" display at the moment, don't I also need to change to the 8.8" display as with the professional navigation? What about the GPS antenna and microphone etc?
Old 06-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Contributors

That is not a correct unit. You must change to 8.8" display to use as prof nav.
Microphone is there already, but I'm not sure about GPS antenna. Please look at your window sticker to find out if you have nav prep. Or, you can give your dealer VIN number to find out if you have nav prep.
Best Regards

Quick Reply: Navigation System Retrofit Done w/o Programming