E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust For 550

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

Has anyone gotten this yet for their 550? I think it just recently came out...but not sure. Haven't seen any pics of it yet....just a description and a couple of vids on MagnaFlows site. Curious how it looks and sounds.

Description:

"With MagnaFlows New introduction into the European car scene, there is now another large competitor in BMW exhaust systems. MagnaFlow has done years of research and development at their state of the art factory make their new line of BMW Exhaust System one of a kind. They have brought their incredible DEEP rumbling sound from their line of American muscle to the European world. MagnaFlow has created and designed a specialized muffler system to make your 4.8L V-8 sound like a full on race car. It is dyno proven to give your 550i at least 9 horsepower and 12 ft. lbs. of torque. There is no other system out there that meets these precise standards and quality of MagnaFlow.
Features:

* 2.5" tubing
* Tru-X crossover pipes
* Dual 5" round SS polished mufflers
* 4" SS polished rolled edge double wall tips
* 100% stainless steel
* Complete bolt-on
* 9 HP/12 ft lbs. torque"

Vids:

http://www.magnaflow.com/04sound/spo...550i/550i.html

Write-up sounds pretty cool.....complete bolt-on cat-back with dual 5" round mufflers with 4" tips
Old 01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

no one knows? Not even a response from vendors
Old 01-19-2011, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

I've heard good things about them on GM & Fords.

What's the comparision to an RPI exhaust?

For some strange reason a company that makes performance exhausts for muscle cars and trucks branching out to Euro imports doesn't feel right - but that's just my opinion.

Maybe Flowmaster will jump on the bandwagon too....
Old 01-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Well, they started out with American muscle, but they have been making exhausts for Jap imports for years, and now they are finally branching out to the Euro market. I don't see anything wrong with that.
It's all about the performance aspect of it in my opinion.....if they have taken the time to do the proper R&D on it and have the dyno results to back it up, then that's all the matters.
The magnaflow universal mufflers people have put on their V8 e60's sound great....I would imagine a Magnaflow cat-back system designed for the 550, would sound that much better.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

I would do something more proper like the renowned RPI
Old 01-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Dumb question, but how is RPI more proper..just curious
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by ktlocklear
Dumb question, but how is RPI more proper..just curious
Good question for the 1000's that have tried it on. All I have heard abt it is good stuff. People who put it on never get it off and then your not even going quad, so why risk the investment ?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Senior Members

I noticed you have MagnaFlow Custom exhaust listed in your sig....I know it's a different engine, but are you not happy with it?

I'm not trying to be an ass, I am just trying to understand what the differences are between rpi and magnaflow.
Only thing that really draws me away from rpi is that it clamps on. The magnaflow one says bolt-on....but it may clamp on as well...I dunno.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:22 AM
Members

I have a custom magnaflow on the 550i I'm parting out and can't be happier with it. A forum member test drove the car yesterday and also loved the sound of the exhaust, minimal drone, relatively quiet, but with a deep tone, but when you open it up, you definitely know you have it. Can't tell if I've gained HP or lost, but the car is still very fast and powerful. The same set up, which it looks like Magnaflow has caught on to, has been discussed in this thread.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/985.../page__st__165

I know that West was instrumental in convincing me to finally get it done, and socale39 did start the thread to get a good dialogue going, so maybe they should get Magnaflow to pay them some sort of marketing fee

Good luck though, I absolutely love my Magnaflow set up and would recommend it too anyone with a 545/550.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Senior Members

hmmm, maybe I should do an electric cutout instead, for a fraction of the cost of an aftermarket exhaust....plus have the ability to control the sound "on the fly"

Sounds so sick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvzsU26p2vY&feature=player_embedded#!

F10 550

Quick Reply: MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust For 550