E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Magnaflow cat-back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Thanks for posting those vids again, West. I know you put a lot of research and effort in fabricating your system, and it does sound great. I don't know about droning on the16559 system, but Greg mentioned that it is not too loud, with just enough sound in the cabin to know that you have an after market exhaust. Ducmaniak has one on order for his 545, so I look forward to his experience as well.

I'm curious if the mufflers used in the16559/16558 systems are ones Magnaflow already sells individually, or whether they were designed specifically for these systems. I assume that Magnalfow went through some level of R&D into the build of the 545/550 exhaust systems to minimize droning but still have performance sound...as opposed to those they build for Mustangs and Camaros!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545 6MT

I did call Magnaflow to ask about the system. I was told that you cannot buy the muffler or resonator separately. The universal muffler that is equivalent is the 14288, but is only equivalent in dimensions (so I was told). This was all from tech support and not sales BTW. I have been looking at this system since 2011. When I first found it, I was constantly calling Magnaflow to get updates and they kept telling me it was still in R&D. I have to believe to some extent that it is a specific system designed for these cars and not something piece milled together. But then again, maybe I am just gullible.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Members

Got the exhaust delivered today. Wheels, suspension, and exhaust going on next Wednesday.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ducmaniak
Got the exhaust delivered today. Wheels, suspension, and exhaust going on next Wednesday.
Awww yeah!! I thought it was back-ordered until May...anyway glad to hear you've got all the goods. I look forward to seeing the end result!
Old 04-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Members

I have the full magnaflow cat back system on my 650, and I was a little disappointed in how quiet it is. Its probably 15% louder then stock...if that, with the windows up and some low volume tunes going, your not even going to notice the exhaust note. I have no noticeable drone. Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Members

That's not a bad thing to me. I really don't want an obnoxiously loud exhaust system and definitely no drone. I will get mine on tomorrow and will see. For the price, I could pass it up for a full cat back and less weight. The factory exhaust is way heavy.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by GForza
I have the full magnaflow cat back system on my 650, and I was a little disappointed in how quiet it is. Its probably 15% louder then stock...if that, with the windows up and some low volume tunes going, your not even going to notice the exhaust note. I have no noticeable drone. Hope this helps
That's interesting to hear. From Greg's video the exhaust seems to have quite a noticeable tone from the outside -- even from about a block away. I haven't heard any recordings from the inside, but he mentioned that it's not too loud (which is a GOOD thing) but enough noise to know it's not stock. With dual mufflers on the 650, maybe your sound is more muted?
Old 04-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Members

Just got mine on today. After the suspension install, they took it for a test drive. First thing is it had a nice sound idling. When the mechanic went down the road, you could definitely hear it. On the 545 it is definitely more than 15% louder. Inside you can tell that there is an exhaust on it, but there isn't any drone that I have noticed yet. I have only driven 15-20 miles on city traffic, but at 40-45 mph, no drone. There is a resonator on the system and could not imagine it deleted. Hopefully I can get some sound clips soon, but work has me slammed. For the price, it's a no brainer.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ducmaniak
Just got mine on today. After the suspension install, they took it for a test drive. First thing is it had a nice sound idling. When the mechanic went down the road, you could definitely hear it. On the 545 it is definitely more than 15% louder. Inside you can tell that there is an exhaust on it, but there isn't any drone that I have noticed yet. I have only driven 15-20 miles on city traffic, but at 40-45 mph, no drone. There is a resonator on the system and could not imagine it deleted. Hopefully I can get some sound clips soon, but work has me slammed. For the price, it's a no brainer.
Glad to know that the installs went well and that you're happy with the exhaust. I look forward to pics and sound clips! It may take a couple hundred miles of driving to break it in, but hopefully you don't ever hear the droning...that would really be disappointing if you do. BTW, how is the handling with the new suspension?
Old 04-10-2013, 04:01 AM
Members

Thanks, I doubt the drone will come up just because of the design. If I were to remove the resonator, then it would definitely drone. The only thing I hope that works out over the next few hundred miles is the raspy sound. The suspension is great, new upper and lower control arms Bilstein shocks and Eibach Springs. handles like new again. The Eibachs closed the gap well without sacrificing the ride quality. I will try to get some sound clips if work allows today.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow cat-back exhaust