E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LED Angel Eye - Low Voltage Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport
Default LED Angel Eye - Low Voltage Problem?

I recently purchased an '05 545i (with xenon headlamps) on which someone had done a few mods. First (since I'm a new member and this is my first BMW), I have to say I'm generally very pleased with this car - esp. the condition given its age.

One of the mods the previous owner did was to install what appears to be this set of LEDs:
25W CREE LED Angel Eye for BMW E39 E60 E61 63 64 65 66 87 Halo Light Bulbs | eBay

Unfortunately, they don't produce much light (read: not visible at all). In fact - when I remove the lights from the housing and set the switch to parking lights, only two of the four LEDs illuminate (and very dimly at that). This happens on both the left and the right headlamp.

I'm a little at a loss as to what might be causing this. I tried removing the in-line resistor (this threw an error), but it didn't change the brightness or cause the other two LEDs to illuminate. My next step will be to use a multimeter and see that the proper current is being delivered, but since it's happening to both sides, I'm not exactly sure what to expect.

Perhaps I have the wrong LEDs for this pre-LCI (again, with HID lights) car? The listing I found (above) appears to indicate these are the appropriate lights, but I'm not 100% certain that the listing is of the LED setup I have. In short - I'd like to have a better idea of what is going on before I start buying parts.

To complicate matters, the car is being shipped from where I currently live (Seattle) to my new home in Hartford, CT, so I won't be able to follow up for a couple of weeks.

EDIT: I did quite a lot of searching to see if I could find someone else with a similar issue (or if I've the wrong lights installed), but I came up empty. If I missed a thread, please direct me there! Thanks!

Last edited by riemannh; 08-29-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Listed in post.