E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

JB4 Tune + AR Design Catless Downpipes + emissions Test = bad time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i
Default JB4 Tune + AR Design Catless Downpipes + emissions Test = bad time?

As some of you may have read here I'm a new member, having bought another member's modded 2008 535i.

Among other mods, the car has:
  • JB4 Tune
  • AR Design Catless Downpipes
  • BMS Methanol Kit
  • ETS Intercooler

Now I do have to pass an emissions test in order to register the car, and after reading about 100 different threads across here/bimmerpost/n54tech/bimmerworld/1addicts etc I can't quite get a clear answer on whether or not I'll be able to pass without a "downpipe fix".

Does anyone have any experience with passing a state vehicle emissions test with the JB4 + Catless DPs?

I was inititally under the impression I could just map the tune to 0 (stock levels) and be on my way, but it seems it won't be so easy. Luckily I do not live in California nor does my state require this particular vehicle to meet CA's pain in the ass SMOG standards, but I do still have to pass an OBD II test (no sniffer thankfully).

I'm sorry for reviving such a dry subject, but I think everyone could appreciate having the piece of mind knowing how it applies to e60s in particular, and not other much more common cars like the e90.

Thanks!

Last edited by aqualibrium; 10-26-2015 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 06:50 AM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Model Year: 2008
Engine: n54

Haven't read much about catless.. but it indeed won't read the obdii without map 0.. In MA you can have I believe 2 of the readiness checks not ready.. which depending on how you need to defeat the catcon part might be just enough.. In other cars you could code out the catcon check and make it ready, but again I haven't read much about the E60 and programming that alone. Sorry I'm not much help.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 535i

Scan your car with a obd2 reader that reads readiness monitor status. Depending on your state it might allow 1 or 2 readiness monitors not ready. If you have less than they allow it will pass. Most likely you will need a dp fix of some sort if too many are not ready. Also if any one throws an actual code, you will fail 100%.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:30 AM
New Members

I could be talking outta my ass a bit here but I've heard of O2 sensor spacers that go on the catless downpipes that push the o2 sensors outwards a bit away from the direct exhaust fumes. I think that may help with the check engine light.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Nice pickup of HK's car. Yes, your car can pass a odb2 smog if you have a dpfix installed and the jb4 set map0/off. However you will need to install the dpfix, clear out the dtc codes, and drive the car without the JB4 on/map0 till the sensors show readiness at which point you then want to do your emissions test. One thing you might want to find out is how many sensors need to show readiness some states only require some but not all.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:54 PM
New Members

Thanks for all the replies guys!

For all of those who might be in a similar position, I passed emissions today with my JB4 and my AR design catless downpipe installed. I did absolutely no modifications including any kind of "downpipe fix". (Although I was VERY close to pulling the trigger and ordering one).

All I did was drive the car on map 0 for about 15 minutes before the inspection and then pulled in and wham bham I passed. If it makes an difference, this test took place in Seattle, WA which has very strict emission standards, trailing California of course.

Maybe I'm just lucky but the technician who did my emissions ran the OBD II and said everything looks great and that all sensors passed. I'm not sure how this is possible but I wasn't about to try and ask too many questions
Old 10-31-2015, 09:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Nice. Glad it was a easy test for you. It is a hassle to smog in Cali.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

Well a little nervous about mine. It's coming up in Jan. I'm in ca, and supposedly they've all gone to obd. I timed it the other day, cleared cat codes and it took about 11 miles or so for codes to come back on. I have DP fix but am not savey and don't really wanna attempt it. Also got full RPI sitting in my garage waiting for the pass
Old 11-02-2015, 12:36 PM
New Members

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi
Engine: n54

The point is not of when the codes come on, it's when the system is "ready" which is probably when you get the codes..

Although I have all my O2 sensors on, when I realized I could not connect to the inspection computer I told my friend it must be the jb4 and flipped it back to map 0 on the fly and it passed.. leads me to believe that the O2 sensors were always ready. Not sure what happens with your JB4 itself with the catless. You might want to email BMS just to ask them, you might be able to flip it to map 0 right away before it gets scanned.. and then you're fine... flip it back to map 4 when you drive off..