E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod interface most cable question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm. So lets see. Is there anything wong with my ride that I can complain about that requires programming?

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='343815' date='Oct 11 2006, 09:18 AM
I think that as you did not have a CD player the MOST head unit needs to be programmed. It seems that the Ipod interface emulates the CD changer and therefore is seen by cars that have had the changer fitted. I'm in the same boat and will nedd a prog job myself.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Members

Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by mixterk' post='343815' date='Oct 11 2006, 09:18 AM
I think that as you did not have a CD player the MOST head unit needs to be programmed. It seems that the Ipod interface emulates the CD changer and therefore is seen by cars that have had the changer fitted. I'm in the same boat and will nedd a prog job myself.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although you have program update, you still don't have CD changer menu on iDrive screen. You still need dealer to perform software retrofit for your iPod anyway. No way around it.
However, if you have software update for some warranty reason, just ask them to retrofit iPod adapter software. They'd charge you much less than asking for iPod adapter software retrofit alone since they need to upgrade ur car to the latest software and perform retrofit function.
Things to complain for software update? CD keep playing after car is off. When comes back, CD play different track.
BMW thought that they would win the war, but, in reality, BMW is going to lost this software game in the long run
It's been two or three software revisions gone by and BMW has not been able to solve the issue. This gives customer excuse to go to dealer and get software update.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:13 AM
Members

It seems to me that your talking programming the car which can take all day. Where as others are just talking about coding for the changer which is a one hour charge.

Originally Posted by my530i' post='344689' date='Oct 13 2006, 01:32 PM
Although you have program update, you still don't have CD changer menu on iDrive screen. You still need dealer to perform software retrofit for your iPod anyway. No way around it.
However, if you have software update for some warranty reason, just ask them to retrofit iPod adapter software. They'd charge you much less than asking for iPod adapter software retrofit alone since they need to upgrade ur car to the latest software and perform retrofit function.
Things to complain for software update? CD keep playing after car is off. When comes back, CD play different track.
BMW thought that they would win the war, but, in reality, BMW is going to lost this software game in the long run
It's been two or three software revisions gone by and BMW has not been able to solve the issue. This gives customer excuse to go to dealer and get software update.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
Contributors

It seems to me that your talking programming the car which can take all day. Where as others are just talking about coding for the changer which is a one hour charge.
What's your point here regarding to replying my message?

There are a few scenarios for retrofit:
1. Your CIP on your car is one or more version behind the latest: when preforming retrofit, SSS would find out that CIP of your car need to be updated, and this take the whole nine yards to complete retrofit. Setup time is less than 1/2, but run time can take somewhere from 6 hours depending how many time software crashed during updating modules on the car.
2. Your CIP on your car is the latest: retrofit might take less than 1/2 hr. SSS would check all modules, and found they're all updated, and retrofit can be done less than 1/2 hour.

When you bring your car is with scenario 1, dealer try to charge you as much as possible the recover the time your car sitting on their bay and using up their SSS.
In scenario 2, dealer should not charge you more than 1hour. You can get down to 1/2 hour with printed bulletin at hand.
Old 10-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: delivered 5 sep 06: 520d E61, silver gray, dakota truffle brown, comfort seats, aluminium, PDC, nav pro, pro spkrs, 124 rims, auto a/c, comfort access, anti d mirrors, side airbags, int rem ctrl, roll blinds, glazing, green band, light pack, storage comp

Originally Posted by my530i' post='350792' date='Oct 31 2006, 01:12 PM

There are a few scenarios for retrofit:
1. Your CIP on your car is one or more version behind the latest: when preforming retrofit, SSS would find out that CIP of your car need to be updated, and this take the whole nine yards to complete retrofit. Setup time is less than 1/2, but run time can take somewhere from 6 hours depending how many time software crashed during updating modules on the car.
2. Your CIP on your car is the latest: retrofit might take less than 1/2 hr. SSS would check all modules, and found they're all updated, and retrofit can be done less than 1/2 hour.

When you bring your car is with scenario 1, dealer try to charge you as much as possible the recover the time your car sitting on their bay and using up their SSS.
In scenario 2, dealer should not charge you more than 1hour. You can get down to 1/2 hour with printed bulletin at hand.
I just found this yesterday:
SIB 010906
I think BMW should update software for free and let customer pay just the time for the coding.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Members

The point of replying to any message i would think is either to get clarification or further information. If it irritated you then sorrrry .

Originally Posted by my530i' post='350792' date='Oct 31 2006, 11:12 AM
Old 11-04-2006, 08:07 AM
Members

OBTW forgot to say thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Aloha' post='352317' date='Nov 4 2006, 09:01 AM
The point of replying to any message i would think is either to get clarification or further information. If it irritated you then sorrrry .
Old 11-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Contributors

Nothing irrirates me at all
Thanks Alex for posting that SIB. It's very useful and bring car in for retrofitting the software. This will prevent dealer from BS*ing by charging us bunch of hours.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Members

We have an appointment with the dealer to get it coded for the changer. We will see if they honor the price point of 1/2 hour for the coding. I'll let you folks know what happens

Originally Posted by my530i' post='352341' date='Nov 4 2006, 09:56 AM
Nothing irrirates me at all
Thanks Alex for posting that SIB. It's very useful and bring car in for retrofitting the software. This will prevent dealer from BS*ing by charging us bunch of hours.

Quick Reply: Ipod interface most cable question.