E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ipod interface most cable question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started this installation and being that I had no CD changer I found The most Bus fiber optic cables are not attached to the connector with the power and ground. Why? It appears that if there is no device attached (CD Changer) that cable forms a loop and that loop needs to be opened and both ends of that cable attached to the connector when a device is introduced.

Am i correct that this cable (green in color) is buried (taped in the bundle) and joined by a black connector? From what i saw this cable is not easily seperated. What is the procedure for seperating the cable into 2 cables one for in and and one for out? And how do you find out which is which. Thanx
Old 10-07-2006, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aloha' post='342616' date='Oct 7 2006, 04:10 PM
Am i correct that this cable (green in color) is buried (taped in the bundle) and joined by a black connector? From what i saw this cable is not easily seperated. What is the procedure for seperating the cable into 2 cables one for in and and one for out? And how do you find out which is which. Thanx
For me the most difficult part was getting the black tape off the MOST cable. The connector itself is rather easy. There is a slot on one of the sides that you need to use a small flat head screw driver to open the connector. The connector should open up into two pieces and the cable will be easy to remove. I still have the connector and I can take pictures if needed, just let me know.
Old 10-07-2006, 04:13 PM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='342635' date='Oct 7 2006, 11:23 PM
There is a slot on one of the sides that you need to use a small flat head screw driver to open the connector. The connector should open up into two pieces and the cable will be easy to remove.
Right. If you turn ignition key to first position and look at the optical fiber, you will see that one of them emits a red light. This fiber must be connected to the input of the interface (if I'm not wrong there is a little arrow in the connector that points to the interface).
Old 10-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Members

Just to clarify. There's a square cover that I removed that i indeed needed a small flat screwdriver to open with. But when I got that off under that was the actual connector which is round. Are you saying that the round connector splits apart or do you just pull out the cables? I think the picture would be nice. Thanks

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='342635' date='Oct 7 2006, 02:23 PM
For me the most difficult part was getting the black tape off the MOST cable. The connector itself is rather easy. There is a slot on one of the sides that you need to use a small flat head screw driver to open the connector. The connector should open up into two pieces and the cable will be easy to remove. I still have the connector and I can take pictures if needed, just let me know.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Members

Ok i gotcha. Thanks very much.

Originally Posted by JMB' post='342666' date='Oct 7 2006, 05:13 PM
Right. If you turn ignition key to first position and look at the optical fiber, you will see that one of them emits a red light. This fiber must be connected to the input of the interface (if I'm not wrong there is a little arrow in the connector that points to the interface).
Old 10-07-2006, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aloha' post='342699' date='Oct 7 2006, 11:54 PM
Just to clarify. There's a square cover that I removed that i indeed needed a small flat screwdriver to open with. But when I got that off under that was the actual connector which is round. Are you saying that the round connector splits apart or do you just pull out the cables? I think the picture would be nice. Thanks
If you have the square part off then you'll find two tabs on the round/tubular connector inside. Use a small screw driver or dental pick to lift up on the tab while you gently pull out the cable. See the two circles in the photo.

Ipod interface most cable question.-dsc_0006sm.jpg
Old 10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Members

Unbelivable. Thanks thanks thanks. IOU one. The internet is a wonderful place

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='342710' date='Oct 7 2006, 09:39 PM
If you have the square part off then you'll find two tabs on the round/tubular connector inside. Use a small screw driver or dental pick to lift up on the tab while you gently pull out the cable. See the two circles in the photo.

Attachment 24579
Old 10-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Members

OK here's the latest. That barrell connector was an interesting LiL bugger but I finally got the Most cables apart and everything installed. I must have had it wrong at least twice cause i kept getting a dashboard warning from the SOS system so I reversed the cables, the warning went away. Next i plugged in the Ipod and it said immidiatly "ok to disconnect" with the BMW Roundel on the iPod screen. However the CD option in the Navi Window on the BMW is greyed out so the system is not seeing the iPod for some reason. Is that a dealer programming issue???
Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Aloha' post='343615' date='Oct 11 2006, 05:59 AM
OK here's the latest. That barrell connector was an interesting LiL bugger but I finally got the Most cables apart and everything installed. I must have had it wrong at least twice cause i kept getting a dashboard warning from the SOS system so I reversed the cables, the warning went away. Next i plugged in the Ipod and it said immidiatly "ok to disconnect" with the BMW Roundel on the iPod screen. However the CD option in the Navi Window on the BMW is greyed out so the system is not seeing the iPod for some reason. Is that a dealer programming issue???
I think that as you did not have a CD player the MOST head unit needs to be programmed. It seems that the Ipod interface emulates the CD changer and therefore is seen by cars that have had the changer fitted. I'm in the same boat and will nedd a prog job myself.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aloha' post='343615' date='Oct 11 2006, 12:59 AM
Is that a dealer programming issue???
Yup. My dealer charged me one hour of labor to program it. I think others have been charged less but YMMV. As mixterk said, if you had the CD changer installed and are replacing it with the MOST iPod adapter then no programming is needed.

Quick Reply: Ipod interface most cable question.