E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installing Bilstein Sport Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I ordered and received a set of Bilstein Sport Shocks for the front and rear of my non-Sport Package 06 530i. Should I have ordered anything else or replacement parts to be installed with them or is it as simple as the mechanic taking out my standard shocks and replacing them with these? If it matters, the car was lowered last year with the Eibach Pro Kit. I'm taking it to the local independent shop we always use for non-warranty type work.

Tonight I also read the two quotes below and wonder if I should be using this as a time to replace the control arm bushings even though there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the ones I have? The car just turned 32k and is only driven on smooth, pothole-free roads 99.9% of the time. It's also squeak and rattle free. Driving habits: I 'have fun' with the car but am anything but an aggressive driver. I tend to baby it ...

Re: the two control arm bushing quotes below ... When I had my 3-series, everyone recommended a third-party replacement instead of OEM because they were better quality. I only remember that they were purple -- it was a few years ago and I never needed them despite approaching 80k. If you guys recommend replacing them while the mechanic is replacing the shocks, should I go OEM or is there a better option out there?

For reference:

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1010899
The bushings will run you $74 for oem units. My local independent BMW shop charged me $20 per arm to press them in. Hardest part of the install is removing and installing the strut in order to remove the control arm.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

I'll only comment regarding your shocks as I have yet to (god forbid) experience any control arm issues.

I went the same route you're about to take and all I can say is, you won't be disappointed. Mine replaced my oem sport suspension and I immediately felt the difference.

As far as replacement parts go, no need for any. Considering you have very few miles, squeek free and "good driving habits," you should be fine with just having your shop replace the shocks only. The things you will require to re-use are the oem upper shock mounts and mounting hardware and the two rubber seats (upper and lower) the springs sit on, as your bilsteins wont come with any. Another thing to remember is that these shocks have built- in bump stops so tell your shop to NOT USE your oem ones.

That's it! Piece of cake. May I suggest once you have these installed, MAN UP AND LET HER RIP! for crying out loud. Bimmers aren't called "THE ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE" for no reason. good luck and enjoy the ride